Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Dennis Dixon’s agent complains about quarterback’s status

The agent for Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dennis Dixon(notes) took issue with the quarterback depth chart that has his client currently behind Byron Leftwich on the depth chart.

Jeff Sperbeck made the point that Dixon, who played well last season in a start against the Baltimore Ravens, wasn't given enough of an opportunity to step in for suspended starter Ben Roethlisberger(notes).

Leftwich is set to open camp as the starter, but Dixon is expected to compete for the job.

"I think Dennis should be given an opportunity to start," Sperbeck told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "He's been there going on three years. He knows the offense. He's familiar with his teammates. He's ready to go.

"I don't understand why after Byron's been gone a year, they would bring him back and start him ahead of Dennis. To me, it should have been Dennis' job as the No. 1. He was No. 2 last year. Byron was not even in the picture."

Dixon said he hasn't given up hope of becoming a starter one day.

"Everybody would like to take the first-team reps," Dixon said. "Once you get your shot, you want to show that you can get it done. I'm pretty sure there will be a point in time when that happens. It hasn't right now."
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
Default Re: Dennis Dixon’s agent complains about quarterback’s status

Does this agent really think he's going to accomplish anything by complaining?? Dennis, you have potential....You're going to get playing time in the preseason....If you're a rockstar...I wouldn't be surprised to see you start...But you have to earn it.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Once he starts and if he plays well, then he's gone, we all know Roethlisberger is the starter for at least 6 more years.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Dennis has to be patient he will get his shot this year and as Coach Tomlin said to Willie Parker put on film, or just perform so well that they have no choice to put on the field. Look at Aaron Rodgers of Green Bay he was very patient and it finally paid off. Better to be groomed and get paid for it than to leave to soon and end up in the CFL proving you belong in the NFL.

The Agent wants more money and knows that if Dixon Starts he gets more money and his percentage goes up. He is not worried about the fact that Dixon is the Starter right now. He wants to increase that paycheck from Dixon.

We all know that unless Ben screws up really big he is the starter and will be for a long time.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

I still think Dix should get the starting job over Lefty. The kid has a boatload of talent just hasn't had the opportunity to show it with #7 running the show. I hope they make him the starter for the first four games.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

Of course he wants Dixon to start those first 4 games. Dixon is a restricted free agent after this season. And IF Dixon shows anykind of promise, Imagine what he may draw come next year, or when ever there is another season :-) I mean look at what some of the scrubs that haven't even shown what Dixon has are getting. Dixon will get some looks come Camp. But as unfair as I personally think it is, I think the team has secretly decided on Leftwich. And since training camp and pre-season games are the ONLY chance that Ben can play, and try to stay sharp. Look for Dixon to get next to NO actual playing time. It sucks. But that's what will happen.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #7
chitownpit
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16129

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsteeler View Post
Dennis has to be patient he will get his shot this year and as Coach Tomlin said to Willie Parker put on film, or just perform so well that they have no choice to put on the field. Look at Aaron Rodgers of Green Bay he was very patient and it finally paid off. Better to be groomed and get paid for it than to leave to soon and end up in the CFL proving you belong in the NFL.

The Agent wants more money and knows that if Dixon Starts he gets more money and his percentage goes up. He is not worried about the fact that Dixon is the Starter right now. He wants to increase that paycheck from Dixon.

We all know that unless Ben screws up really big he is the starter and will be for a long time.
What? Big Ben screw up? He`s only done that every year since after his rookie yr
chitownpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:17 AM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i agree Dixon should be given the chance to compete for the starting job. Leftwich is a mediocre QB at best. he always have been and always will be. He looked horrible for Tampa last season and now we want to automatically toss him in as our starting QB!! insane to me. He should have to win that spot not be handed it.

Dixon is a yound QB who still has the chance to be great. Leftwich's window for that has closed long ago. i personally would rather see Dixon in there and see if he has it or not so we know what direction to go with him. if he does great then we can either hold on to a great backup or trade him for a 1st or 2nd round pick during the offseason
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
Goat27
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16471

If Byron get the starting Nod for opening day, doesn't mean that he will keep it until Big Ben returns...there's always that chance that Dennis chance is a snap away, or Byron might just stink up the place.
Goat27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Scatamacchia
Water Boy

Member Number: 16476

Does Fsn Pittsburgh show all the steeler gameS???????
Scatamacchia is offline   Reply With Quote