Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
BrownsBB7fan
Water Boy

Member Number: 16474
Default Why I cheer for the Browns and the Steelers

The browns have always been my favorite team. They stand for everything that is right for the game of football. Hard working, always give 110% attitude. Their fans are very passionate and while they have gone through years of disappointment they still stand by their team and cheer. The browns have always been the ultimate underdog and I've always wanted to cheer for the little guy.

But that isn't why I'm posting right now. I want to post because of a certain player that has made me a steeler fan, but has been continuously hated on by the media, coaches, fans and even announcers. His name is Ben Roethlisberger. I've been a fan of his before his rookie season in 2005. He is the perfect mix of talent, athleticism and professionalism. He, in his short career has set many records and have done things that many great qb's have never done. But while he has worked hard and achieved a lot he is still viewed as a Tier 2 quarterback.

Even while setting every record for a rookie in 05, he was already being criticized as being a manager of the game and that he lacked the talent to be a pro bowl quarterback. The next year, he improved his numbers and led the steelers to the Superbowl. That still wasn't enough. The media declared that the game was unfair and that Ben didn't deserve a ring because of the poor game he played. The media harped on that for a couple of months until his next incident. While enjoying a nice ride on his cycle during the summer, Ben was hit by another driver causing sever injuries to him. The media though, continually blamed Ben for not wearing a helmet and that it was his fault. Ben surprisingly was ready for the season until an emergency appendectomy sidelined him for the start of the season. Even with all this, Ben led the steelers to an 8-8 season and bounced back nicely the next year going back to the playoffs while enjoying a Top 3 QB season statistically. Ben proved he was a capable quarterback on and off the stat sheet. The 08/09 season added to his legacy when he collected his second Superbowl and being voted to another pro bowl. His 09/10 season was absolutely legendary. A 500 yard game, a record breaking season and Top 5 in virtually every passing category. But the media has continually ignored his achievements and have completely pummeled him due to his off the field situations.

And that's what I want to talk about now. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Ever since the first allegation came out, Ben was labeled as some hard criminal that didn't deserve to be playing football. Whatever happened in Vegas should stay in Vegas. I don't know what happened there, but even if the worse case scenario happened, it's not that big of a deal. Ben is rich athlete that likes to throw his money and status around, just like every other player in the NFL. He made an advancement on a waitress that basically invited him to make a move. Then of course he had the latest case in which he was blamed once again for having intercourse with a college student. Last time I checked this is common for anybody to want to be with someone else. Ben is too smart to get himself in this situation. If he new that she declined and wanted out, Ben wouldn't ever try to hurt someone and on top of that he wouldn't make a mistake twice. The media though has crowned him as the most hated man in the world and will crucify him until the end of his career. They don't mention all the things he has done to help others. He would give away the shirt off his back and the shoes off his feet to help someone. He donated money to help dogs that are in danger and he has been shown to help the handicap do stuff that they could never imagine. I feel bad for Ben, because he has handled the whole situation so well and still doesn't get any breaks from anyone. He is not only an elite quarterback in this league, but he is a professional. Unlike everyone else who has labeled him as the devil.

But Ben is the perfect man to reflect the Steelers. Why? Because the media always hates on the Steelers no matter how good they are just like Ben. The steelers could go 16-0 and win the Superbowl and the media would still find a way to hate. And this is why I'm a steeler fan. Because I hate people who don't give credit where credit is due. Everyone hates the steelers because they are winners. So when the media hails the Colts and the Pats up and down; I can always rely on the Steeler organization giving the NFL the middle finger while strolling to another successful season. There's no better feeling then putting someone back in their place and the Steelers have done that for ages. The media has once again undercut the Steelers and Ben, and once again their going to be proved wrong. The Steelers roster is still very talented and while Ben is out for 4 games, the team is good enough to stay in contention. The Steelers are going to make the playoffs and they're going to be contenders. So screw you to the Ravens, Bengals and the rest of the NFL! Prepare for another season of disappointment.

Everybody thank you for your time and comments.
BrownsBB7fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679
Default Re: Why I cheer for the Browns and the Steelers

I don't think too many media outlets try to pass off Ben as a tier 2 passer anymore. He mostly gets his due, but does get upstaged, as almost anybody does, by the medias showering of praise on Manning.

I can't stress enough how so few people in the media are afraid to say the truth: that Manning is a choker, just like Brett Favre (the media largely ignores his choking too). That superbowl the colts won back in 07 gave the media validation, they argued, you coudl no longer say he never won the big one. I still think the MVP he was given for that game was nothing but a handjob from the media. Fast forward to the next season, where Manning drops a dud in Indy playing the Chargers---he even got some help, the referees called back a pick 6 by Cromartie in the first half because of a bogus "illegal blocking" penalty. The colts still managed to lose---while the Chargers played with Billy Volek----I never heard peep out of the media about Manning's sh ameful preformance---never so much as saw a criticism on ESPN.

THe next year, same thing, different city. Manning chokes in San Diego this time, his defense even stole points from SD with 2 red zone turnovers, only for Manning to choke and go home in the wild card round. The media's response----to scrutinize the overtime rules isntead of focusing on the poor game Manning played, against an 8-8 team with a bad defense too.

Go to this season---Manning is once again given the MVP (I feel they should wait until the season is over to bestow this award on a player) and once again comes up short---choking and chucking a pick 6 when he had a chance to tie it up in the superbowl. Once again, the C olts came out looking good, but they cooled up and Manning clammed up as the game wore on. The medial and Bill Polian's response----blame it on the o-line. THe same o-line that Joseph Addai was rushing for 6-7 yards a carry behind and that didn't give up one sack the entire night. Yes, anything to avoid their beloved getting the blame.

That's my issue with the media love fest. Brady has earned it at least. 3 Superbowls, a fearless pocket passer (until last year when he behaved like a coward) and even the stats to back it up. Manning does have a superbowl and all the regular season glory---but his team typically flaters in the playoffs, sometimes embarassingly early, and he's usually the culprit especially since the team is DESIGNED to be so heavily dependent on him. Funny how when the Colts are playing well everybody is so quick to praise Manning and only Manning. Yet when they lose they'll make an excuse of the defense, or the NFL overtime rulebook, or the Colts Oline.

Anyway, back to Ben. Nobody in their right mind would try and pas shim off as a tier 2 passer. Only stubborn jackasses still try to credit his success to being a "game manager". Plus, in his early years, every media member that termed him that was clearly only reading a stat sheet and watching our highlights instead of actually watching the kid play. Even in his rookie year he put the team on his back and lead some pretty good comebacks. A tier 2 passer or game manager can't produce the kind of magic Ben does on such a regular basis.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
I don't think too many media outlets try to pass off Ben as a tier 2 passer anymore. He mostly gets his due, but does get upstaged, as almost anybody does, by the medias showering of praise on Manning.
Manning, what a clown, they say Roethlisberger shouldn't of got that first ring, look at Mannings stats during his 06 run.

Week 18: W 23-8, 30/38 268 YDS 1 TD 3 INTS 71.9
Week 19: W 15-6, 15/30 170 YDS 0 TD 2 INTS 39.6
Week 20: W 38-34, 27/47 349 YDS 1 TD 1 INTS 79.1
Week 21: W 29-17, 25/38 247 YDS 1 TD 1 INTS 81.8

Overall 3 Touchdowns, 7 Interceptions, 70.5 rating. That's disgraceful numbers

Ben's 2005 stats

Week 18: 14/19 208 YDS 3 TD 0 INTS 148.7
Week 19: 14/24 197 YDS 2 TD 1 INTS 95.3
Week 20: 21/29 275 YDS 2 TD 0 INTS 124.9
Week 21: 9/21 123 YDS 0 TD 1 INTS 22.6

Overall 7 Touchdowns, 3 Interceptions, 101.7 rating. Even with shitty XL performence he still has an amazing rating. Manning is a sucker.

Ben's 2008 stats

Week 19: W 35-24, 17/26 181 YDS 1 TD 0 INTS 98.4
Week 20: W 23-14, 16/33 255 YDS 1 TD 0 INTS 84.8
Week 21: W 27-23, 21/30 256 YDS 1 TD 1 INTS 93.2

Overall 3 Touchdowns, 1 interceptions, 91.6 rating. Combine those ratings and it's 96.6

Mannings is 84.7. Bottom line is Peyton Manning doesn't deserve to play in the playoffs. He should stay at home watching from the sofa
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Exactly right about his numbers during that superbowl run, and in this case those numbers aren't misleading. He threw those INTs at critical moments in each of those games, several of them were returned back into the Colts redzone and 1 was returned for a TD.
It's such a joke that some sportscasters will accuse Ben of just "being along for the ride" during our 05 SB run, but not accuse the almight Manning of that. I can grant the team won SB 40 in spite of Big Ben, but the games before that, and people would know if they had watched Cowher's Steelers in the playoffs---the big difference was the QB, we'd had a championship caliber defense several times during Cowhers era, but only a championship caliber QB once.

It's a joke that Manning is touted as "the greatest QB of all time" when, to be a truly great QB, you need to show up when it counts, and he seems to do exactly the opposite (like his overrated brother Brett Favre).
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsBB7fan View Post
The browns have always been my favorite team. They stand for everything that is right for the game of football. Hard working, always give 110% attitude. Their fans are very passionate and while they have gone through years of disappointment they still stand by their team and cheer. The browns have always been the ultimate underdog and I've always wanted to cheer for the little guy.

But that isn't why I'm posting right now. I want to post because of a certain player that has made me a steeler fan, but has been continuously hated on by the media, coaches, fans and even announcers. His name is Ben Roethlisberger. I've been a fan of his before his rookie season in 2005. He is the perfect mix of talent, athleticism and professionalism. He, in his short career has set many records and have done things that many great qb's have never done. But while he has worked hard and achieved a lot he is still viewed as a Tier 2 quarterback.

Even while setting every record for a rookie in 05, he was already being criticized as being a manager of the game and that he lacked the talent to be a pro bowl quarterback. The next year, he improved his numbers and led the steelers to the Superbowl. That still wasn't enough. The media declared that the game was unfair and that Ben didn't deserve a ring because of the poor game he played. The media harped on that for a couple of months until his next incident. While enjoying a nice ride on his cycle during the summer, Ben was hit by another driver causing sever injuries to him. The media though, continually blamed Ben for not wearing a helmet and that it was his fault. Ben surprisingly was ready for the season until an emergency appendectomy sidelined him for the start of the season. Even with all this, Ben led the steelers to an 8-8 season and bounced back nicely the next year going back to the playoffs while enjoying a Top 3 QB season statistically. Ben proved he was a capable quarterback on and off the stat sheet. The 08/09 season added to his legacy when he collected his second Superbowl and being voted to another pro bowl. His 09/10 season was absolutely legendary. A 500 yard game, a record breaking season and Top 5 in virtually every passing category. But the media has continually ignored his achievements and have completely pummeled him due to his off the field situations.

And that's what I want to talk about now. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Ever since the first allegation came out, Ben was labeled as some hard criminal that didn't deserve to be playing football. Whatever happened in Vegas should stay in Vegas. I don't know what happened there, but even if the worse case scenario happened, it's not that big of a deal. Ben is rich athlete that likes to throw his money and status around, just like every other player in the NFL. He made an advancement on a waitress that basically invited him to make a move. Then of course he had the latest case in which he was blamed once again for having intercourse with a college student. Last time I checked this is common for anybody to want to be with someone else. Ben is too smart to get himself in this situation. If he new that she declined and wanted out, Ben wouldn't ever try to hurt someone and on top of that he wouldn't make a mistake twice. The media though has crowned him as the most hated man in the world and will crucify him until the end of his career. They don't mention all the things he has done to help others. He would give away the shirt off his back and the shoes off his feet to help someone. He donated money to help dogs that are in danger and he has been shown to help the handicap do stuff that they could never imagine. I feel bad for Ben, because he has handled the whole situation so well and still doesn't get any breaks from anyone. He is not only an elite quarterback in this league, but he is a professional. Unlike everyone else who has labeled him as the devil.

But Ben is the perfect man to reflect the Steelers. Why? Because the media always hates on the Steelers no matter how good they are just like Ben. The steelers could go 16-0 and win the Superbowl and the media would still find a way to hate. And this is why I'm a steeler fan. Because I hate people who don't give credit where credit is due. Everyone hates the steelers because they are winners. So when the media hails the Colts and the Pats up and down; I can always rely on the Steeler organization giving the NFL the middle finger while strolling to another successful season. There's no better feeling then putting someone back in their place and the Steelers have done that for ages. The media has once again undercut the Steelers and Ben, and once again their going to be proved wrong. The Steelers roster is still very talented and while Ben is out for 4 games, the team is good enough to stay in contention. The Steelers are going to make the playoffs and they're going to be contenders. So screw you to the Ravens, Bengals and the rest of the NFL! Prepare for another season of disappointment.

Everybody thank you for your time and comments.
That was fantastic..........and yeah Ben has been unjusty screwed by the MEDIA many times..........but remember this
America has diminshed from a free nation some time ago into a self righteous war mongering media controlling state and Ben is another road kill in the demise

and yeah I too root both teams and get a lotta grief from losers in
Brownstown
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote