Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959
Default Next years back situation

I want to discuss the running back situation for next year, what are everybodies ideas, opinions, theories, whatever?

I personally wouldnt want to see Willie carry the load by himself, all year. As far as Duce goes who knows, he seemed really good in that one game he played but not sure how consistent he can be. I'd like to see them give Verron Haynes a decent shot. He is sort of a small bus, I'd like to try making him the feature back. Whats all your guys' opinions?

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367
Default Re: Next years back situation

I think they'll go Parker primary back (15+) carries then Staley (IF, they restructure him) being the compliment. I think they are very happy with Haynes as the 3rd down back and will keep him in that role. I don't see them bringing a FA in unless they either don't restructure Deuce or do not think he'll hold up in that role.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

First we need to sign Haynes! Then Willie is the man, ith Staley picking up alot bigger role, idf healthy, probably a Bus type role. I still say we need to draft or bring in a back
Old 02-13-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
WeNowHave5
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1941

We should try to get Jamaal Lewis, the bus replacement. I believe he's available. We need to get our runningn game back. Not having a "consistent" running game put us in precarious situations in the superbowl.

I see Duce possibly retiring. He's getting injured way too often.
WeNowHave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
SmashMouthSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 1180

I'm gonna have to disagree with everyone! I think Deuce will be the new goto guy next year. He is a lot like the bus and he has stated that he wants to fill that role. He also stated that Jerome has been a big influence on him and I know those two have become very good friends.

I don't know if he'll be as good as Jerome or if he will even remain healthy enough to be our starter, but I think our running game hinges on whether or not he is or does!!! JM2C
SmashMouthSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

i WOULD RATHER give Duce another shot , than to bring Lewis and his problems here. Besides he seem to be injured as much as Duce
Old 02-13-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,020 Times in 3,045 Posts

everybody keep in mind the similarities between duce and jerome. in 2001 season jerome had a muscle pull that slowed him down for several years. remember when he was washed up and on the verge of getting cut? this happened in the same year he was on pace to lead the league in rushing. much like staley was through the 1st 7 games of the 2004 season. the steelers staff is familiar with this. i still believe if staley remains healthy he is the absolute perfect replacement for bus with a little more upside from what jerome offered this year. hes made good money with a light workload. a paycut isnt to much to ask of him, and theres still room on the roster to draft and groom another rb. the steelers went into this past season very happy with the 4 they had. as well they should. it was a winning combination. and lets remember jerome was hurt too this year at the beginning. its not like duce is super fragile and jerome was always healthy.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

There is no doubt that duce can be the starter and have a 1,000 yard season. He did great last year when he played.....The only problem is that hes been hurt more than healthy. Even when he was in Phily, he was very injury prone, missing many games.....
If he could take care of his injury problems he will end up the starter, but right now Willie is the starter, and if he works our and puts on about 10-15 lbs over the offseason, maybe duec wont even have a chance
Old 02-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedf
I think they'll go Parker primary back (15+) carries then Staley (IF, they restructure him) being the compliment. I think they are very happy with Haynes as the 3rd down back and will keep him in that role. I don't see them bringing a FA in unless they either don't restructure Deuce or do not think he'll hold up in that role.
If Duce doesn't want to restructure I'd say bite the bullet, take the cap hit and look for a more reliable back.
The Steelers are in a good position to ask Duce to redo his deal especially after this past year.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:57 PM   #10
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
i WOULD RATHER give Duce another shot , than to bring Lewis and his problems here.
I second that.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote