Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Next years back situation

I cannot see Duce being a featured back for us. When was th elast time he played 12 games in a season??? Willie can break th ebig one at any time, this helps our passing game so much, they have to respect Willie going the distance! I here alot of talk about Duce being so much like Bettis, and thats fine. But we aree starting to buck that trend a little. We now have a passing attack, and speed in the backfield. This isn`t the old Steelers
Old 02-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,754 Times in 2,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I cannot see Duce being a featured back for us. When was th elast time he played 12 games in a season??? Willie can break the big one at any time, this helps our passing game so much, they have to respect Willie going the distance! I here alot of talk about Duce being so much like Bettis, and thats fine. But we aree starting to buck that trend a little. We now have a passing attack, and speed in the backfield. This isn`t the old Steelers
willie should definitely be the featured back. if healthy he can easilly be a 1500 yd back next year. he is alot like ben and ike taylor. WAY ahead of the curve as far as not having experience at their respective positions go. he carried more last year than he did the entire time in college. he is young and fresh with a ton of upside. emmit smith was once considered too small. ladainian tomlinson has had his share of injuries. fred taylor is huge at 230 and has trouble staying healthy.

willie neads to feel he is the man and im sure he will break out. he is so humble and respectful of jerome and duce he has tried not to step on any toes. personally i think bringing in competition could do more harm to his development than good. give him the confidence of being "the guy" and he could really blossom. he wouldnt feel threatened with duce being there as opposed to bringing someone like j. lewis or r. williams in.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #13
FanecaFan66
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1986

Parker had a 1200 yard season. And if Staley stays healthy we will have a very solid backfield. Besides, we have a franchise QB (who hopefully the FO will lock up next offseason), and its time to start building the offense around him.

There will NEVER be another JB, so lets please put this Jamal Lewis talk to rest. There are many other issues to be addressed on this team, and the backfield will remain the same, minus the retirement of Bettis.

However, I had heard a few weeks ago Haynes was looking for starting RB $$$ from someone. i doubt he'll recieve those kind of offers, and he should hopefully be back. He could be a work horse down the road.
FanecaFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #14
blackngoldbaby
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1631
Wink Re: Next years back situation

I SAY THAT DUCE NEEDS 2 GO I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST HIM BUT HE SEEMS ALWAYS INJUREDAND JUST STANDS ON THE SIDELINES I THINK WE SHOULD BRING IN ANOTHER RELIABLE RUNNING BACK I JUST DONT THINK DUCE CAN GET THE JOB DONE AND IM NOT 2 SURE ABOUT RAY COMIN 2 THE STEELERS. I JUST THINK THATS THE BEST THING 2 DO.
blackngoldbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #15
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

It must be the offseason...we must have at least eight threads all (at least tangentially) discussing the same subject, and most of the same people posting their opinions in all eight!

I'm not knocking it...it's what makes the offseason fun!
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #16
FanecaFan66
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1986

If Staley is used in a reduced role similar to JB. I think he will be very productive and could stay healthy enough. A lot of fans across the league no matter what team love to talk about sexy free agent moves or draft picks. But the RB position is one that won't be addressed by either the draft of free agency this year, and thats the right move.

Willie Parker is a few crash courses in being patient and running between the tackles away from having consistant 1200-1500 seasons. But if Staley is used right his production statistically may go down, but then the two together could be extremely dangerous.
I like the idea of a depth chart with 39, 22, and 34 loading the backfield from 1st to 3rd down
FanecaFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:25 PM   #17
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

Duce will battle Willie for the number # 1 RB spot in training camp. But if he doesn't stay healthy this upcoming season, then I can see Duce being cut the following season.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:56 AM   #18
DJJorel
Water Boy

Member Number: 1372

What if we trade up to go for Lendale White out of USC? We traded up to get Polamalu...and he was well worth it....
DJJorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:10 AM   #19
neohiobill
Water Boy

Member Number: 1992

well hopefully i will be proved wrong, but i have seen nothing so far from duce other than he doesn't contribute. playing 8 out of 36 games is not what i would deem as productive, and as far as being good,, they are all good at this level,, and we need a player that will bang the defense around and not run the ball 3 times and have to sit out because of a injury he was aware of 8 months prior. if duce takes a pay cut,, and i mean a notable one than i would keep him,, if not than there are alot of good options we can go after that i feel would produce more than him. 700 plus yards in two seasons and a superbowl run,,, would you pay 4 mil. for that? go steelers..
neohiobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:14 AM   #20
BigBenFan4ever
Water Boy

Member Number: 1979

Guy this was Willies rookie season really (First year starter). You look at rookie Rb's in there first year most don't do as good as Willie did. I think we see a stronger Willie next year and he will show he can handle the load. We need a big back to replace the bus I say T.J. Duckett if we get him at a good price. Then there is Dayne Cowher likes him. If non of these guys then draft a big strong RB in the draft.
BigBenFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote