Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
bobby jr
Banned

Member Number: 15696
Default Ref Admits Mistakes in 2006 Super Bowl

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444048

NFL ref admits mistakes in Super Bowl

Associated Press
RENTON, Wash. -- NFL referee Bill Leavy acknowleded he made mistakes in the Seattle Seahawks' 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers...Leavy says he "kicked two calls in the fourth quarter" and "impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that."......

"I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better.".
bobby jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Re: Ref Admits Mistakes in 2006 Super Bowl

It always makes me laugh when I read this crap. That game, wasn't even a game. The Steelers didn't even play a great game and it was pretty one sided. That game ended with the Steelers up 2 scores and kneeling out the clock inside the Seahawks 20 yard line. The Seahawks couldn't produce much offense the whole game. Hell, give them 2 more TD's and we still score on that last drive and win anyway.

We were clearly the better team that year and deserved to win the SB.

Just like we were the far better team in 08, when we beat the Rats 3 times, stepping on their heads on the way to another Super Bowl. That AFCC game was the greatest game I've ever been to. We dominated them physically, they hung around and thought they had hope. Then Troy smashed their hearts with that sweet pick 6. Place went nuts, game over. Season over for the rat turds, and on to another ring.

Last edited by steelerchad; 08-06-2010 at 10:06 PM.
steelerchad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Seattle On Your Mother
Water Boy

Member Number: 16532

It's settled. Wake up Pittsburgh. The referee himself said he impacted the game. Everyone outside of our two cities says that the blown calls handed your town the trophy. Man up like Leavy and own it.
Seattle On Your Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
steelerschik
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16103
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle On Your Mother View Post
It's settled. Wake up Pittsburgh. The referee himself said he impacted the game. Everyone outside of our two cities says that the blown calls handed your town the trophy. Man up like Leavy and own it.
Ohhhhh pleeeezzzzzz. Conveniently he states this while in Seattle. Bet your life he would say something different if he were here. Your team didn't belong in the SB to begin with. Yeah, the refs let Willie run 78 yards for a TD and they also allowed Randel-El to throw a TD pass to Ward. Even with Ben sucking, the Steelers still beat the Seawhiners pathetic butts. Wait, I'm going to go back and find the blown calls against the Steelers in that game as well. Keep living on excuses or whatever makes you feel better. The Steelers have the trophy, earned the trophy, deserved the trophy...get over it.
steelerschik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
We'll own it alright, the trophy that is.

XL was sloppily played by the Steelers, we aren't afraid to admit that. But tell me, what did Seattle do to win that game? If you dare tell me that they played well and deserved it, you're pretty much wasting our time.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

How many of you can even debate for shit?
I'm depressed looking in here.

The topic at hand is the referee's preformance in superbowl XL, not whether or not you think the Seahawks played a good game or let WP run for a TD or if the Steelers played like shit.

For the topic at hand:

I see he says he blew 2 calls in the fourth quarter. Does he elaborate on what those calls were?
If I were to hazard a guess I'd think he means the bogus holding call that brought the Seahawks from a first and Goal inside the 5 to a 3rd and somethinghellalong. The play after Ike Taylor caught an errant hasselback pass where I presume the second blown call he is talking about a bogus "tripping" penalty on Hasselbeck was called.

If those aren't the calls he means I'd like to know what. Either way, most reasonable people not blinded by fandom or suffering from homerism can admit those two calls were pretty piss poor and had an effect on the game in our favor.

Now as for the debate as to whether or not the correct calls would have changed the outcome of the game, who's to say? It's just like people who claim the Bengals would have steam rolled us with Palmer healthy in the 06 Wildcard game, they're just trying to project "what if" history, which we know is never certain in football, given the volatile nature of the game.

Back to SB 40, it was one of the worst played and officiated SB's I've ever seen. As a Steelers fan I can earnestly say we sucked on offense. Ben was a nightmare. Our three scores were all huge lottery-type plays, it was amazing that we got 3 of them in one game (that Ben hoist to Hines was a miracle, our running game was weak other than WP's huge run, and the Randle-El TD pass is something you only see in a big game once in a blue moon). Not to even mention when we had a chance to wax them away for good but Ben threw a pathetic goal-line INT (Any of us would have been content with a fieldgoal at that point, going up 17-3 with Cowher at the helm).

Our defense lost its balls as well and was content to sit back and let the so-so Hasselbeck/Branch lead duo of the Seahwks take up a lot of yardage. As I recall we got to the SB by blitzing the shit out of Indy and Denver---to back off your bread and butter in the big game shows a lot of cahones on our coaching staff.

Fortunately for us the Seahawks were only less slightly inept, and our 3 big plays were enough to carry the day. Seattle's offense played better than ours, but wasn't finishing drives. There wasn't a lot of ballsy play calling on their part either. They seemed content to take what was given to them all day, which doesn't always work when playing a close game. Their defense took advantage of a razzled QB and put us to shame, and really, overall that unit played a better game than the scoreboard reads---they just got burnt on a few big plays.

The officiating was atroscious, from beginning to end. There was a patheticly plussy-assed offensive pass interference call that took back a Seattle touchdown. There was one instance where Jeremy Stevens clearly caught a pass, took 2 steps, fumbled it, that the referees incorrectly called an incomplete pass. Needless to mention the bungled 4th quarter calls already in question.

In short, only a fool would deny the officials made mistakes, but people who swear there was a deliberate plot to stop the seahawks from winning are suffering from the same brand of dementia.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
Tone's Toes
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14418

Probably the worst played football game I've ever seen. Not sure either team really deserved to win, but one of them had to and the Steelers made the big plays, Seattle didn't. To me that's the difference.

Anyway, when you're Seattle and you can't get off the field on 3rd & 28, You allow the longest TD run in SB history, You let a WR throw a TD against you, You miss 2 easy indoor field goals, you're QB throws the ball straight to Ike Taylor twice, picked once, You can't simply put that game on officiating and say the refs handed the Steelers the game. The refs could be better in almost every game, but so can the players. The players ultimately made the bigger mistakes by allowing the huge plays and that's mostly why they lost.
Tone's Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

the captain of the titanic called in and said he regretted the blown call on the titanic.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
joeyssteelcurtain
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11092

Quote:

In every game in the NFL the referee's impacted the games. Do you know how many times the steelers got a letter from the league saying they made the wrong calls.

"I'm BLACK and GOLD until I'm dead and cold"
joeyssteelcurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
bobby jr
Banned

Member Number: 15696

Let's face it when the ref says he impacted the game it is clear what he meant.

He meant the results may have been different, the winning team may have been Seattle had he got those calls right. I don't recall the details of the calls now but I remember at the time it seemed every close important call was going the Steelers way and on replay some of the calls were incorrect.

It works both ways the Steelers were eliminated a few years ago when an overweight Jacksonville QB Gerard, ran up the middle for 30 yards on 4th and two. The Jaguars were out of FG range and had they been stopped the Steelers would have advanced.
The replays seemed to show there may have been a holding call on that play which allowed Gerard to break free for the game winning run.
bobby jr is offline   Reply With Quote