Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,252 Times in 3,627 Posts
Default Re: Randle-El To Chicago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947
i dont understand it. How the hell is it that every year we are near or over the cap. Replacing El isnt the point its more of having the same core together. how the hell do the Patriots do it and we cant. It doesnt make sense...
Maybe Ty Law, Drew Bledsoe, and Lawyer Milloy (or their agents) can tell you. The Pats let front line players go too. The trick is letting go of players that are on the downside or are not value for the price they are demanding.

Over the last 5 years the Steelers have done a pretty good job of deciding who to keep, who to let go, and who not to sign to a big long-term contract after just 1 good year (e.g. Kordell in 2001)
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #12
SalukiSteelers
Starter

Location: Live in Carbondale, IL, USA, home of the SIU Salukis.
Member Number: 844

Don Pierson, a Chicago Tribune writer who has covered the NFL for years, said that he thought that ARE priced himself out of Chicago with his postseason and Super Bowl play.

While ARE is a Chicago-area guy, I can't see the Bears running the type of offense that would justify paying him top receiver dollars. Are the Bears gonna start running gadget plays? Who knows, though, because their regular offense didn't do much.

Another snag for the Bears is that their other receiver, Berrian I think is his name, was Grossman's favorite target when they played together. The guy has top-end speed and the QB already looks for him so it makes me wonder how much a possible number three wideout is worth to the Bears.
SalukiSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #13
pucho58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1737

I think we will be fine without without El. Remember they let Plax go last year and we still won the Super Bowl.
pucho58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:12 PM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,252 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalukiSteelers
Don Pierson, a Chicago Tribune writer who has covered the NFL for years, said that he thought that ARE priced himself out of Chicago with his postseason and Super Bowl play.

While ARE is a Chicago-area guy, I can't see the Bears running the type of offense that would justify paying him top receiver dollars. Are the Bears gonna start running gadget plays? Who knows, though, because their regular offense didn't do much.

Another snag for the Bears is that their other receiver, Berrian I think is his name, was Grossman's favorite target when they played together. The guy has top-end speed and the QB already looks for him so it makes me wonder how much a possible number three wideout is worth to the Bears.
With regard to ARE's post-season pricing him out of Chicago, it indicates to me that someone is focusing only on the sizzle

ARE's post-season stats:

Game Rec Yards TD Punt returns Punt return yards
CIN 2 15 0 2 21
IND 3 30 1 5 50
DEN 4 52 0 1 13
SEA 3 22 0 2 32

The cross-field lateral in Cincinnati (in which Ben said ARE ran too far to his right before the throwback) and the option TD to Hines were sweet, but were not exactly looking at Swann/Stalllwiorth/Rice post-season stats here.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
R2sojr
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 892

I see it this way..yeah El is a good reciever and is fit for our system..but if its all about the money...ppl say it isnt but i know it is...then if their willing to pay him big bucks he should leave...but ill tell u this...id rather make ALL RIGHT money and win super bowls rather than makin the big bucks and having my season end at week 16. even with randel el there offence is still horrible they could only score an average of 16 points a game...so good luck el and have fun watchin us in the super bowl
R2sojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #16
Man_Of_Steel
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 1036

Let El go. He's a ****y egotistical jerk.

Man do I hate professional athletes like that.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:00 AM   #17
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

I understand leaving for the $$$, but these agents/pros have to realize that a major part of their success is the system and their complementing players. I don't want to see him leave, but if he goes I think he will be sorry in the future. He may be there best QB as well as WR but what can you do w/o any talent around you. He better sign for big $$$ early b/c he will end up looking below average in their system in a couple years.
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #18
ngreene15
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 595

I don't see how a player who just won a Superbowl (the ultimate prize in football.) with the Steelers, could consider leaving for an inferior team.

I'm on my way, I can feel my ring comin, it's the blood of a champion, pumpin, deep inside my veins, too much pride to be runnin I'ma get what I can and more, even if my blood, my sweat, and my tears don't mean nothin, it's the heart of a champion
ngreene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #19
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Hey El You want a 2nd ring right? Well stay with us and you can win another one once again.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #20
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,192 Times in 599 Posts

How much do you think the Steelers woul pay? Is El looking for 3 mil a year? What is the deal on the numbers?
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote