Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Randle-El To Chicago?

I have not heard any numbers being thrown around in the local media here in Pittsburgh.

As for what I think he would be asking for...........If I had to guess I would go with three million at least. In my opinion paying Randle El three million is crazy.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #22
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Back in Sept. we should have really thought about this contract, IF the Steelers were really interested inkeeping him. He is a great third rec. and maybe a No.2 but if he wants No.1 money, there is the door. think Chicago is inevitable
Old 02-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #23
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

I was thinking 2.5/yr was his ceiling before the Superbowl (for someone else), but that trick play upped his worth to someone with almost no doubt. That and having a good year returning kicks.

He's a great player, extremely physically gifted, but again, he occasionally makes some very bad decisions in crunch time. Chicago might be a great fit for him, and if so, more power to them. I like the Bears, would love to see them renew themselves as a power in the NFC.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:07 PM   #24
mopit55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2035

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
And my opinion also!
it's sure at 80% but the real question is what doing?search a new receiver? it's probably. in free agent antonio bryant is good,he's a pitboy,toomer...no,moulds...no,owens...no,reggie wayne...is a good physical player but expensive,it's more sure to take in the draft,maybe the gator chad jackson,sino moss...yes it will be fun,derek hagan,maurice stovall,greg lee,martin nance?so answer please my is moss or bryant.
mopit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:16 PM   #25
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

This has already been established, but for the record.....Antonio Bryant is a complete tool. He was a punk in college and he has already proven that he is a punk in the pro's (throwing a practice jersey in your HC face is pathetic).

Robinson out of PSU would be nice.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:27 PM   #26
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Ahhhh...offseason. Same stuff, different thread.

ARE is the first of many to be overvalued, and overpaid and doomed to disappear in another teams inferior system. Hell, TO with a brain transplant would probably drop off the charts in that pathetic excuse for an offense. But, hey, if God told him to take the money and run, who are we to argue with God?

If he leaves for Da Bears, Buh-bye ARE. Steve Smith II? Nah, more like Troy Edwards...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #27
Man_Of_Steel
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Ahhhh...offseason. Same stuff, different thread.

ARE is the first of many to be overvalued, and overpaid and doomed to disappear in another teams inferior system. Hell, TO with a brain transplant would probably drop off the charts in that pathetic excuse for an offense. But, hey, if God told him to take the money and run, who are we to argue with God?

If he leaves for Da Bears, Buh-bye ARE. Steve Smith II? Nah, more like Troy Edwards...
I agree 100%. El is one of the most overrated players I've seen in a while. What has he done that is so great that the Steelers can't win without him? Way way too much hype over this guy. Let him go, he won't be missed.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:01 AM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,793 Times in 2,677 Posts

FYI is Pete Prisco's take on CBS Sportsline on the pros and cons of paying ARE top FA $$$. Pretty good analysis of the pros and cons.

A guy who should be a hot free agent when the period opens, based on talks with some league personnel, is Steelers receiver Antwaan Randle El. He can do a lot of things, but here's something to consider: He isn't a down-the-field deep threat. Randle El is outstanding on the medium-range routes, but he doesn't have burning speed. He's more quick than fast. At one point during last season, the Steelers were lamenting that they didn't have the vertical threat after letting Plaxico Burress leave.

Randle El is a quality receiver, and he did have 10 plays of at least 20 yards, so there is some big-play ability there. It's just that he's not a vertical threat, even though he averaged 15.1 yards per catch.

A lot of his success comes from the way the Steelers scheme up their offense. They use a lot of bunch formations in passing downs as a way to get receivers open in crossing routes. A lot of times this leads to busts in coverage and wide-open receivers. That helped the team lead the league in yards per attempt. That number is more about scheme than speed.

Randle El is an interesting player in this free-agent market. He will help any team that signs him, but don't expect him to be a No. 1 receiver. He is a quality return man, which helps his value. But if you pay him top receiver money, do you want him returning punts and kickoffs? I like the guy, but if you're the Steelers, what do you do? Do you pay him or let him walk? Hines Ward is their go-to guy. They let Burress go last year, so the feeling is they likely will let Randle El go too if the price gets too high.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:42 AM   #29
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

IMO the Steelers should make a reasonable attempt to re-sign Randle El.
He brings a lot to the table that a lot of other teams want.....which is his versatility
(Receiver, Punt Returner, Quarterback)

He definately adds different facets to the Pittsburgh offense.

I heard that Penn States Michael Robinson would be a possible replacement for Randle El if he decides to take his services elsewhere.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #30
SteelCurtain
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 571

I like El, but he hasn't been that productive...If we can sign him for a reasonable amount then do it or if he wants to much, then I would love to see Robinson in Black and Gold as his replacement