Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
View Poll Results: If you could only keep one, which would you keep?
Ike Tayloy 4 12.12%
LaMarr Woodley 29 87.88%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Ike vs Woodley

If you could only choose to keep one, who would you keep?
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
SteelKnight
Team President

Default Re: Ike vs Woodley

I like both player. I know there will be sentimental value towards Woodley but I must choose Ike Taylor.

1. Shut down CBs are more valuable and rare than good OLBs
2. Woodley is the second best OLB while Taylor is the top CB
3. There are two Rookies who may be ready to step in for Woodley next year Gibson and Worilds and even if they are not ready, they could put foot in at ILB and move Timmons outside (won't be necessary).
Old 08-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

I suspect Woodley will be re-signed. Ike could be as well. The steelers will likely cut cost by either releasing, or trading Harrison after this season, and hope that either Worilds or Gibson can take over.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

This isnt a serious question, is it?

Ike Taylor is average at best, and thats being generous. Woodley is potentially an elite 34 OLB.

Woodley, by an embarrassingly wide margin.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
I suspect Woodley will be re-signed. Ike could be as well. The steelers will likely cut cost by either releasing, or trading Harrison after this season, and hope that either Worilds or Gibson can take over.
Now I'm going to get sentimental. I'd much rather keep Harrison over Woodley. Sure he is older but I love the forced fumbles he produces. He's done too much to be released and it would make the Steelers look weak. If he wasn't under contract and they said they could not afford to sign him we'd understand but to cut him while he is under contract or worse...trade him? Oh no.

His game would have to seriously deteriorate over 2 seasons to pull that off.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourThreeMafia View Post
This isnt a serious question, is it?

Ike Taylor is average at best, and thats being generous. Woodley is potentially an elite 34 OLB.

Woodley, by an embarrassingly wide margin.
Ike Taylor shuts down Moss, Wayne, TO, Ochocinco, Marshal, Sidney Rice. He is one of the top 5 cover corners in the league. Even Nmandi Asmoghua gave him respect as a top CB. The only thing that keeps him recognized is his hands (low INTs).

In considering, I also considered the talent we have behind him. We have Lewis and Gay. Even if Lewis turns out to be good, you need 3 good CBs in this league with all the 3 WR sets people are playing. Consider Baltimore has Bolden, Stallworth and Mason and the Bengals have TO, Chad and Bryant.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
SteelKnight
Team President

LBs are very replaceable. We have been through our share so this time I have learned. Porter, Lloyd, Green, Brown, Gildon... We always recover.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

woodley is 25, taylor is 30 .... taylor is entering the downside of his career while wood is entering his prime.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
woodley is 25, taylor is 30 .... taylor is entering the downside of his career while wood is entering his prime.
Even if Taylor can give us 3 more good years, I'll take it. Gibson or Worilds can step in for Woodley. He won't get any sacks if the receivers are wide open and the QBs release before he gets there.

I don't know why everyone is so comfortable all of a sudden. Taylor is the only CB I know that can definitely play. MacFadden may be able to regain his form but he was bad last year. We'll hope for the best. Lewis. It is early. Gay...we've seen. I hear Burnette gets beat regularly. Why would you throw away your best CB?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Even if Taylor can give us 3 more good years, I'll take it. Gibson or Worilds can step in for Woodley. He won't get any sacks if the receivers are wide open and the QBs release before he gets there.

I don't know why everyone is so comfortable all of a sudden. Taylor is the only CB I know that can definitely play. MacFadden may be able to regain his form but he was bad last year. We'll hope for the best. Lewis. It is early. Gay...we've seen. I hear Burnette gets beat regularly. Why would you throw away your best CB?
Gibson and Worilds don't have the power that Woodley has. Notice that most of his sacks are not the result of his speed, but his sheer power when he blows up the right OT. You're not going to get that from those guys. It really frustrates a QB when they see the OT engage and the next thing they know Woodley is driving them into the ground. Those QBs are just taking a quick look to ensure those LBs are not running free, but they don't expect someone to pancake their 330 lbs tackle.

B Mac was bad last year because he played in a different system. He's made for the Steelers D. I think you'll see he plays well this year.

I think Ike is a very good corner, but there are only so many Woodelys. Letting Woodley walk would be like letting Hardy Nickerson and Mike Vrabel walk ... sometimes we do miss on those very good LBs.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote