Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
JustJoanne
Water Boy

Member Number: 1589
Smile A South Carolinian's take on Sunday's Super Bowl Madness

I found this entry in my husband's Live Journal. He was born and raised in South Carolina and we live in Charleston, SC, so please forgive him :) Following that is my rebuttal, I was born and raised in Steubenville, OH.

His - Morning After
Football season is over. Now that my lovely wife's beloved Steelers have won the World Championship she can safely watch Super Bowl XL. But, you say, that was last night. Football's over, move on with your life. Yes, dear reader I'm aware of that fact. However that doesn't mean a thing. You see, she didn't really watch the game while it was being played. Wait, let me set the scene so you get a better idea of "The NFL Experience" at our house. The TV over the living room fireplace is tuned to the game channel. A glass topped table in our kitchen is covered in several trays containing boiled shrimp, deviled eggs, many varieties of cheese, various veggies, beef, turkey, ham, etc. Approximately enough food to safely feed a family of 6 for a week. OK, a slight exaggeration, but I swear there was lots and lots of food. Much more than the four of us could consume in a day. Floating above the center of the table is a Mylar balloon in the shape of a football. Said football is in the flashy logo of the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's late, only three hours or so before kickoff. You see she's been doing a countdown since about 48 hours before the game. The day started with replays of various Steeler songs being played over her computer speakers. Anyone else know that famous ditty "Pittsburgh's Going to the Superbowl"? There's quite a few more songs, trust me on this. The polka-beat one is just down right strange. Then the NFL channel, watched on the bedroom TV, gives the re-hash of the re-hash of the repeat of someone else's game analysis and factoids. Ever want to know what rich Paul Allen's house in Nice, France looks like? Does it have a damn thing to do with football? Hardly, just the fact that he's rich, knew Bill Gates when they were avaricious teens and ended up a gazillionaire that owns the Seattle football club. Did I mention he's seriously rich? The various talking heads had run out of anything to talk about but they were still talking. I tuned them out. Some neighbors dropped by shortly before game time. Foolish mortals! They wanted to chit chat and talk while she was in full football pre-game jitters? Ha! they were politely tolerated but were shuffled off to watch the game elsewhere. You see this is a sacred quest for the "One For The Thumb". If you don't know what that means then you're of a lower life form and need to evolutionize before venturing any further. How dare you not know how many and what years the Steelers won the Super Bowls in years gone by, and of course which specific Roman numeralled Super Bowls those were. That's not trivia, that's chiseled in stone, absolutely essential Steeler facts. Get the drift? This world championship stuff is serious shit.

Now it's game time and we're of course, watching the game on the HD TV in our bedroom, upstairs and far from the food and drinks in the kitchen. Makes semi-perfect sense I guess. "Watching" is not the actual term for what J does. Enduring is more like it for her. I watch the game, cheer, groan, bitch in real time. She on the other hand, goes into the hall and peeks back into the bedroom after the play; she goes onto the porch and peeks back in after the play. She kneels on the bed with a pillow firmly clasped over her lowered head blocking out all the potentially bad things that could occur. Then maybe watches the replay or maybe not. Both boys are watching in their rooms and having commentary with each other across the hall and with their mother as she huddles in the hall or does her shuttle to and from the kitchen. Anything to avoid the potential agony of a Steeler mistake or Seahawk big play. At halftime she changes clothes, puts her "Terrible Towel" back into the safe-keeping drawer. Not that she's superstitious but what she wears, where she stands, where she watches the game, all are momentous decisions that can affect the outcome of the game. Second-half begins, Steelers take the ball from the opening kick-off and score. Who am I to argue with the just proved fact of proper clothing having an impact on The Game. Both boys are wearing Steeler jerseys. I can't tell you how odd that is. They have never been big fans of sports at all but they are climbing on that Steeler bandwagon as they love her and want to help.

It's over, Steelers win. Now she watches the post-game show, awards ceremony, post-game interviews, post-game analysis on at least two channels, maybe more.

Oh, it's all recorded so she can actually watch it in peace and tranquility today; Monday well after the fact. No doubts, fears, or worries. Because you see, it's not just "Pittsburgh is Going To The Superbowl" but "Pittsburgh Won The Superbowl". All is right with the world. I wish she knew how much I admire that passion and loyalty she has in her to give. It's just one of the things I love about her.

Mine - Lies all lies!
Ok so maybe not all lies... ok 99% is true. BUT... I did get his pre-approval on the food! And on shuffling off the neighbors... they left with a consolation prize of a brand new "The Tackle" t-shirt and that was after I had taken a Steelers balloon to their son earlier in the day. I'm not the complete scrooge my loving husband portrays me to be. But I know how deeply I am loved and despite his ramblings to the contrary, he has become just as much of a fan as me.
JustJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: A South Carolinian's take on Sunday's Super Bowl Madness

Have visited Charleston many times (Civil War buff), beautiful and quiet city. As for your husband, I don't condone divorce but...............j/k.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
JustJoanne
Water Boy

Nah... he's kind of grown on me after all this time :)
Old 02-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Mr. Clean
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1156

My wife is from Colombia (South America) and she couldn't care less about NFL football. No matter. We have a little rule - leave me alone when the Steelers are playing. Works well for both of us.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

ok, here's Super Bowl Sunday in FLORENCE,South Carolina.

2 year old wakes you up at 4:30 "Hi Daddy. Hi Daddy. Wanna watch Barney..."
wat h Brney until 6:30 when 6 year old gets up. "Ohhhh. I HATE Barney" Get Momma up. tell her to take her bath and get ready for church. She relieves you of Chimp duty so you can take your shower at 7:30. At 8:30 you realize the service doesnt even start until 10.
break up fights amongst the kids, the German Shepard, and the cat for 90 minutes and still manage to be late. All through the praising the 6 year old tugs at your clothes "Im hungry. Im tired. I have to go potty" Your praising and worshipping is useless as you find yourself torn between loving the Lord and wanting to throttle your child. Afterwards you take the family to Shoneys for an hour of yelling, screaming, and food all over. At 1:00 you take the 2 year old for a drive until she thankfully passes out for a nap. You drive to lovely places like Lake City and Sumter to pass the time and then get back to your driveway where you idle and let the child sleep until she wakes up screaming at 3PM.
now its frickin bath time. then you boil a pot of pasta. after you feed the vultures its 5:30 and you spend an hour fighting the 6 year old for the television set. Its Super Bowl vs. the Saddle Club on disney. She wins. Finally its 6:30, the SB has arrived. Mom takes the kids upstairs. Bt you are so effen tired and pissed off and your team has already been eliminated so you find yourself channel surfing. But then the game starts....And now its sinking in that its another chapter in football history. You watch the game and post on Steelers Forum and hope your wife gets that high paying job in Kansas City.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

My wife was born in Vietnam, and she is a huge Steelers fan
Old 02-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
My wife was born in Vietnam, and she is a huge Steelers fan

theres a joke there but out of respect i'll stifle the urge........
Old 02-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
JustJoanne
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
ok, here's Super Bowl Sunday in FLORENCE,South Carolina.

Afterwards you take the family to Shoneys for an hour of yelling, screaming, and food all over.

Bt you are so effen tired and pissed off and your team has already been eliminated so you find yourself channel surfing. But then the game starts....And now its sinking in that its another chapter in football history. You watch the game and post on Steelers Forum and hope your wife gets that high paying job in Kansas City.
If you are referring to the Shoney's by I-95 you can't complain too much! I'm not a Shoney's fan but that one has to have the best seafood buffet for a restaurant of that nature that I've ever been to. My mother-in-law lives in Hartsville so we have been there on numerous occasions.

I would offer you some consolation but from what I have gleaned from your previous posts is that you are a Pats fan. I think pyschiatric help might be more helpful than comfort or condolences. j/k :) The Pats are a great team and Brady a great QB.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
MattyD.
Water Boy

Location: Ohio. In the Bermuda Triangle located between Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Columbus
Member Number: 1889

-My wife is a HUGE Steelers fan. Even back when we were still in school, she would wear Steelers shirts. There's even a pic of us, not together but in the same photo, her wearing her Lambert jersey and me wearing my Franco jersey. This was probably back around 1981. We'll be watching a game and she'll be crocheting or working on one of her quilts at the same time. I don't think she's paying a whole lot of attention when all of a sudden I hear her yelling, "Break his leg! Don't let him run on you like that!" It's great. I love that gal.

L8R,
Matt D.
MattyD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:28 PM   #10
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoanne
If you are referring to the Shoney's by I-95 you can't complain too much! I'm not a Shoney's fan but that one has to have the best seafood buffet for a restaurant of that nature that I've ever been to. My mother-in-law lives in Hartsville so we have been there on numerous occasions.

I would offer you some consolation but from what I have gleaned from your previous posts is that you are a Pats fan. I think pyschiatric help might be more helpful than comfort or condolences. j/k :) The Pats are a great team and Brady a great QB.

Nah, the foods ok. But it NO Rogers on Second Loop. Or the Schoolhouse BBQ in Scranton,SC.

Im OUT!! We are moving to Olathe,Kansas (just outside of Kansas City)