Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Hypocycloid
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8450
Default How did Pouncey do against the Lions?

I don't live in PA anymore and the NFL doesn't think that making pre-season games available nationwide is important. I couldn't find an online radio broadcast either so I had to rely on the watching the game cast. It doesn't give much detail. So I was wondering if anyone could please update me if Pouncey started, where he started, if he played center at all, and how he looked. Did he go up against Suh?

Thanks
Hypocycloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053
Default Re: How did Pouncey do against the Lions?

On a scale of 1-10, Pouncey gets a 4. Didn't finish his blocks. And is NOT a road-grader. However he does have the making of a good single caller. And can recognize changing defenses. First game, no worries yet. As for Suh, I don't think he did. Suh did not play much from what I saw. And he didn't register a tackle at all.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Not well at all... most of the starting O-line actually played very poorly, and will Byron as quarterback, you could see him get torn to pieces in a full game.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Hypocycloid
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8450

I figure it will take some time for the offensive line to solidfy. Thanks for the info. Did he play at center or guard?
Hypocycloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Corey_J
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16584

he would initiate comtact and then not finish. Looked like butterflys got to him. He will be a solid player for years to come for sure. Just needs to get some PRO playing time !
Old 08-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
diehardsteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 16062

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
On a scale of 1-10, Pouncey gets a 4. Didn't finish his blocks. And is NOT a road-grader. However he does have the making of a good single caller. And can recognize changing defenses. First game, no worries yet. As for Suh, I don't think he did. Suh did not play much from what I saw. And he didn't register a tackle at all.
I'd give him a 6. Being a Gator fan, I've watched him for years...He's real good at line calls...I thought his run blocking was better expected. True, he didn't finish blocks well, but DD didn't stay in the pocket very much..Looked overwhelmed on some plays..

Also, I think he was the first rookie in the game against theDET #1's...that's impressive

DS
diehardsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,016 Times in 427 Posts

I'd give him a respective 6. Remember now, he isn't exactly coming into a prized situation. He's a rookie (major pressure taking in the first round) coming to a team with an offensive line in so-so shambles. He doesn't really have that veteran leadership to communicate with when playing guard, a position he rarely played.

He's got a newcommer in Flozell Adams and a career backup in Trai Essex learning from or atleast communicating from. They are all still learning in some way shape or form so I'll give him all the necc time he needs to transform into a great player. Him playing 2 positions already speaks volumes of his talent and kind of player he is so he could be on his way soon. Tough position to be in for a young man.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:10 AM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Pouncey had a great day in the pass game. He was playing against a 4-3 where he has no one lined up in front of him. This meant that he had to read the defense and figure out which way he needed to go to help his other linemen out, and he did just that. This is the area where Hartwig struggles the most. Many of our sacks come off of missed calls by the center, but Kemo and Essex looked as if they had a better idea of positioning and reads when Pouncey entered the game. They had confidence in the calls he made, and they worked together to keep the quarterback on his feet. It was the best pocket of the day with the least amount of pressure. Pouncey made the calls and set the line which is huge for a rookie who is learning 2 positions.

The same goes for the run against the 4-3. Once again, there is no one lined up over Pouncey. He had to make the reads and chip a guy then get to the second level to make blocks. He was able to do that on most of the plays last night. He missed a block or two but none that killed a drive. When he got to the second level, Pouncey played with great balance and did not whiff on any blocks where the defender was already on the move.

My favorite part of what Pouncey did in the game was finish his blocks. Pouncey does not stop until the whistle. His motor was always going; it is almost like a Alan Faneca mentality to the play. Pouncey did not quit until his guy was on his back and then he went and found someone else to hit. He made more 2 man blocks today than I have seen out of our line since Faneca left.

On this run by Issac Redman, watch Pouncey follow Redman down the field and make a push to send him forward and then finish off another guy at the end of the play. This is nice to see.

All-in-all, it was a great day for Pouncey. He could be a beast in the NFL. Let’s get him on the field now and get him started on his way to a great career.
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...eelers/3055184
Old 08-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #9
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardsteeler View Post
I'd give him a 6. Being a Gator fan, I've watched him for years...He's real good at line calls...I thought his run blocking was better expected. True, he didn't finish blocks well, but DD didn't stay in the pocket very much..Looked overwhelmed on some plays..

Also, I think he was the first rookie in the game against theDET #1's...that's impressive

DS
How in the hell is being the first rookie in impressive? He is a number 1 pick. Certain things should be expected of him.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

Here is a very good breakdown of Pouncey's first game.

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=9778

Sorry, but anyone giving him a 4 out of 10 was either watching the wrong player or have ridiculously high and probably unattainable standards.

He did make some mistakes, but he had a great first game. 8/10 at least.