Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124
Default Ben's Tribulations

I think after all is said and done, we may look back on Ben's tribulations this off season as a positive for the Steelers and particularly Ben himself.

It was well documented that Ben usually did very little in the off season, except party and sleep with women it seems. He usually came into camp kind of pudgy, out of shape, and out of sync. Even in the regular season, I don't think he ever put as much time into his game, as say Peyton Manning.

It also seems as though Ben may not have always been the best teammate, kind of aloof and arrogant towards other players at times.

This whole ordeal seems to have inspired Ben to work a little harder this off season and have a better attitude. Multiple coaches, players, and reporters have commented on how good he looks and camp. Arains even said this is the best he's ever seen Ben at this junction of the season. This trend will probably continue into the regular season.

I read a couple of articles of players praising Ben's new dedication to the team; he's also been a lot more personable with fans, spending hours after practice signing autographs for fans. (My wife just got his autograph today, and more importantly wasn't scathed) Maybe this is all just an act. Frankly I don't care if it's all fake, because the on the field implications are for real, and that's all that really matters.

Maybe if we go 2-2 during the games Ben is suspended, which In my opinion is the worse case scenario, it may be worthwhile sacrifice to have a new and improved Ben on the field for the last 12 games and beyond.

Ben usually plays much better with a chip on his shoulder, so there's little doubt in my mind that he'll have a great, even dominant season. In the mere 12 games he plays, I wouldn't be surprised if he came close to 30 TDs. I just hope his terrible off season has changed his outlook and he works this hard for the rest of his career.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053
Default Re: Ben's Tribulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
I think after all is said and done, we may look back on Ben's tribulations this off season as a positive for the Steelers and particularly Ben himself.

It was well documented that Ben usually did very little in the off season, except party and sleep with women it seems. He usually came into camp kind of pudgy, out of shape, and out of sync. Even in the regular season, I don't think he ever put as much time into his game, as say Peyton Manning.

It also seems as though Ben may not have always been the best teammate, kind of aloof and arrogant towards other players at times.

This whole ordeal seems to have inspired Ben to work a little harder this off season and have a better attitude. Multiple coaches, players, and reporters have commented on how good he looks and camp. Arains even said this is the best he's ever seen Ben at this junction of the season. This trend will probably continue into the regular season.

I read a couple of articles of players praising Ben's new dedication to the team; he's also been a lot more personable with fans, spending hours after practice signing autographs for fans. (My wife just got his autograph today, and more importantly wasn't scathed) Maybe this is all just an act. Frankly I don't care if it's all fake, because the on the field implications are for real, and that's all that really matters.

Maybe if we go 2-2 during the games Ben is suspended, which In my opinion is the worse case scenario, it may be worthwhile sacrifice to have a new and improved Ben on the field for the last 12 games and beyond.

Ben usually plays much better with a chip on his shoulder, so there's little doubt in my mind that he'll have a great, even dominant season. In the mere 12 games he plays, I wouldn't be surprised if he came close to 30 TDs. I just hope his terrible off season has changed his outlook and he works this hard for the rest of his career.

I'm sorry but that above statement is the most ridiculous dribble I have ever read. I mean when, before the last 3 months, when in 2004, 05, 06, 07, 08 have you EVER read where Ben was out drinking in Bars, or in strip clubs, and having sex with multiple women ?...where ? And yes, Ben came into Camp about 7 Lbs lighter than he had in the past by his own admission. But PLEASE don't say Ben was out of shape in previous camps, cause that is total BS! As far as being rude to teammates or Aloof, PLEASE, Ben..( When he shouldn't have )..time and time again has always gave first credit in ANY Win to his O-Line in Interviews. He has constantly taken out his Linemen to Dinner, and brought ALL of them twice to the Pro-Bowl, all at Ben's expense.

You say it is WELL DOCUMENTED that Ben has a History of not working in the o--season and drinking and sleeping with women ?...please,,,present those documents please...just ONE! Cause I will GLADLY Bet my " Family Jewels " that you can't find a one!

Like I said, most ridiculous dribble I have ever read
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
I mean when, before the last 3 months, when in 2004, 05, 06, 07, 08 have you EVER read where Ben was out drinking in Bars, or in strip clubs, and having sex with multiple women ?...where ?
Just so you know, that it was well documented that he drank and slept with women all offseason was a mistype. I meant it to be a sarcastic, but I misedited my post. I do believe though, that it can be reasonably ascertained that his evening in Miledgeville on March 5th was a pattern, and not an isolated event:

http://deadspin.com/151809/its-good-to-be-big-ben

This is just a blog, but I put it here to prove I'm not alone: http://wnst.net/wordpress/rexsnider/...-a-crossroads/

Quote:
And yes, Ben came into Camp about 7 Lbs lighter than he had in the past by his own admission. But PLEASE don't say Ben was out of shape in previous camps, cause that is total BS!
Listen, Ben's work ethic is not something you ever hear about. He never comes into camp in good shape. He usually comes in a little pudgy - that's a fact. This year - as multiple sources have pointed out - he looks like he's in great shape, much better than years past. AND, he says he actually worked out this off season. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, that he probably didn't work on his game very much in past off seasons. He did this time. The night of March 5th probably had something to do with it, and that's all I'm saying. I hope that he makes it a continued effort to work this hard during every offseason the rest of his career

Quote:
As far as being rude to teammates or Aloof, PLEASE, Ben..( When he shouldn't have )..time and time again has always gave first credit in ANY Win to his O-Line in Interviews. He has constantly taken out his Linemen to Dinner, and brought ALL of them twice to the Pro-Bowl, all at Ben's expense.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/n...ory?id=5132299

You can debate whether Najeh's a reliable source all you want, but he said about 60% of the team felt like Ben acted like he was above the team. Joey Porter even had to confront Ben about it.

James Walker from espn wrote: "Roethlisberger, admittedly not a good teammate at times during his first six NFL seasons, was more outgoing and animated than usual during the first of the day's two practices. Receiver Hines Ward said the disgraced quarterback was clearly working to improve his relationship with his teammates."

My advice to you whatdoiknow, is stfu and stop being a dick, or else start having private forums with supa_fly_steeler. I made one gaffe, and the rest of what I said was reasonable.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

I agree...Ben has never been known for being a workout warrior or film study guy. He has relied on his athletic mobility. This could cut his career short for that mobility will slowly fade and years of film study and conditioning will take a bigger role. I also think he was getting overweight.

This may trigger his performance to an even higher level!

Last edited by steeltheone; 08-17-2010 at 05:38 AM. Reason: mistake
steeltheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
I agree...Ben has never been known for being a workout warrior or film study guy. He has relied on his athletic mobility. This could cut his career short for that mobility will slowly fade and years of film study and conditioning will take a bigger role. I also think he was getting overweight.

This may trigger his performance to an even higher level!
Ben's old school.......Play hard on the field, then go party........What do you think they did in the old days........Exactly that........Screw looking at film for days,that suks..........Drink Beer, Hang with Friends and family,Chase women when your young, work out your body,go to church and tell GOD what you did the whole week, live life and playPLAY PLAY, ball.......Life is simple.

Besides, All Peyton Manning does is make commercials, not train........ Least Ben lives like a real American.....This thread suks.....
Go hang out with Mary Poppins and drink tea.......
Old 08-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Ben's old school.......Play hard on the field, then go party........What do you think they did in the old days........Exactly that........Screw looking at film for days,that suks..........Drink Beer, Hang with Friends and family,Chase women when your young, work out your body,go to church and tell GOD what you did the whole week, live life and playPLAY PLAY, ball.......Life is simple.

Besides, All Peyton Manning does is make commercials, not train........ Least Ben lives like a real American.....This thread suks.....
Go hang out with Mary Poppins and drink tea.......
We can all agree that the league was much different back then. The athleticism now is much better now than it ever has been, and the game is much more complicated.

Back in the day, if everyone played football and drank beer all night then you weren't at a disadvantage for doing so. But today, that's not the case. Players are putting much more time into studying, watching film, and preparing physically. If everybody else works hard in the offseason, and Ben drinks beer, he's at a disadvantage.

Anyway, dude, I made it clear that I don't care that he drinks beer, not from a moral standpoint anyhow. I could care less. But I do have a problem when partying interferes with Ben's performance.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
whatdoiknow
Banned

Quote:
We can all agree that the league was much different back then. The athleticism now is much better now than it ever has been, and the game is much more complicated.

Back in the day, if everyone played football and drank beer all night then you weren't at a disadvantage for doing so. But today, that's not the case. Players are putting much more time into studying, watching film, and preparing physically. If everybody else works hard in the offseason, and Ben drinks beer, he's at a disadvantage.

Anyway, dude, I made it clear that I don't care that he drinks beer, not from a moral standpoint anyhow. I could care less. But I do have a problem when partying interferes with Ben's performance.

Ben....TWO Super Bowl wins before he was 26...Ah, exactly HOW many did Manning have by that time ? And please don't go to the other players Ben plays with cause NO QB has had better overall team talent then Peyton has had. And as far as Ben goes, QB's have different types of bodies. A QB who is totally muscled up tend to be High Injury risks, and are not very good. Also, Ben as a natually BIG guy is not going to look like a Chip & Dale's dancer ...for his natural size, Ben may be as Athletic as they come. As for Ben NOT doing much film study...I call BS on that. I have never seen any stories coming from anyone saying that. And no way would Cowher ever put up with that from anyone. Neither would Tomlin. So your points on Ben are exactly that...YOUR own points. Based on nothing more then your own ridiculous speculation. BTW, you wanna talk about " Flabby "...try looking at a picture last year of Tom Brady on the beach in People Magazine...he is WAY more fat & Flabby then Ben ever will be. But yet we don't hear any negative things about Brady.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
chacha
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15976

^ totally agree, Ben didnt need any "help" in being a better QB, he was already doing just fine, thank you
Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Quote:
Ben....TWO Super Bowl wins before he was 26...Ah, exactly HOW many did Manning have by that time ? And please don't go to the other players Ben plays with cause NO QB has had better overall team talent then Peyton has had.
I was not claiming that Peyton was a better QB than Ben, although he is, in fact. The point I was making was that Peyton works harder than Ben. Are you arguing this point? Peyton is a successfull QB because he works hard, and everybody is always praising his work ethic. I can't remember anybody ever praising Ben's work ethic. Ben is a successful QB because of natural ability. I beleive Ben has more natural ability than Manning, and if he worked has hard as Manning does, well he would be even better.

Quote:
Ben may be as Athletic as they come. As for Ben NOT doing much film study...I call BS on that. I have never seen any stories coming from anyone saying that. And no way would Cowher ever put up with that from anyone. Neither would Tomlin.
Have you ever read any reports praising Ben's film work study? Obviously, Cowher and Tomlin set a minimum requirement for the amount of film players have to watch, but whether they would tolerate anything less is up for debate. Several former Steelers have indicated that Ben received star treatment.

Probably, Ben put in the minimum effort. J Peezy confronted Ben at one point about being, "the last person in the building and the first person to leave, not being dedicated to the team," The leader of the team, imo, should be the first on on the field and last one off. It looks like he's ready to do that this season.

Quote:
So your points on Ben are exactly that...YOUR own points. Based on nothing more then your own ridiculous speculation.
C'mon, dude. All our conversations about sports are speculation. That's why we love talking about sports, right? When we talk about how the Steelers will do this year, that's speculation too. You're on the other thread talking about how good DD was in college, and you speculate that means he'll be a good QB in the NFL as well.

So what's the big deal?

My speculation about Ben, though, is based real evidence though, regardless of whether you agree or not. I'm not saying it's fact, but I didn't just form my opinion out of thin air, and I have posted several articles to back up my claims.

Quote:
BTW, you wanna talk about " Flabby "...try looking at a picture last year of Tom Brady on the beach in People Magazine...he is WAY more fat & Flabby then Ben ever will be. But yet we don't hear any negative things about Brady.
This is a Steelers forum, not a Patriots forum. That's why I didn't post anything about Tom Brady.

Anyway, my post wasn't a negative about Ben, it was actually a positive. I mentioned many positive things Ben has done to change not only as a person, but to become a better football player. Here are some of the things I said:

Quote:
Multiple coaches, players, and reporters have commented on how good he looks and camp.
Quote:
Quote:
Arains even said this is the best he's ever seen Ben at this junction of the season.
Quote:
In the mere 12 games he plays, I wouldn't be surprised if he came close to 30 TDs.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
whatdoiknow
Banned

I remember reading that former 1st round pick, Cade McKnown was 20 times the " Hard Worker " that Manning will ever hope to be. Staying on average of 7 to 10 hours AFTER practice to study film, work out even more, and even had a bed Installed at Soldier Field to be the first one there...and how exactly did Cade work out ? Putting in extra film study is ONLY needed if you feel you are a Moron, and need it. Ever consider that Ben is just a more Intelligent guy then Manning, who doesn't have the best " Pedigree " around when it comes to Intelligence from the Family Tree. I tell you what, name a situation where WE..( Steelers )ever lost a game SOLELY because Ben didn't study the opposing teams game films ? Oh that's right...you can't.