Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053
Default Question for steeler fans

Regarding all this back & forth on whether Dixon can be a QB for us, or does Leftwich HAVE to start cause Dixon can't be a QB cause he looks to run too much. Well, what IF Ben was not here next year, and we had to draft a QB Question, we could have either " Jake Locker " or Ohio States Terrelle Pryor...which would you want ? And why ? I'm SURE All the Anti-Dixon posters will say Locker, but why ? What has he shown that he is better than Pryor ? What, is Locker a better passer ?...NOPE!
Check the stats, Pryor is a much better rated passer, and was a TRUE Sophmore last year only in his second season. Is it because Jake is just built more like a QB than Pryor ?...NOPE, Pryor, although very fast and Athletic, is 6ft, 6, 240 Lbs Is it because Pryor just runs too much ?...well...NOPE..Actually check out Jake's 1st season, and last season for that matter...he runs just about as much as Dixon ever did. So why then is Jake considered without a doubt thee NUMBER ONE pick in next years draft, and Pryor Isn't on ANYONES 1st round Mock board ?

Look at their skin colors,,,and you'll have your answer. Oh I know Lefty is Black to. But not really Black. Meanning, he doesn't run around, and jive and run every chance he gets like Dixon does right ? ( Even though Dixon only ran the ball one time against baltimore in last seasons game )

Irony is a funny thin ghh ?
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,147 Times in 862 Posts
Default Re: Question for steeler fans

Oh boy. Is this even worth replying to?

Quote:
Regarding all this back & forth on whether Dixon can be a QB for us, or does Leftwich HAVE to start cause Dixon can't be a QB cause he looks to run too much.
It's not that at all. Dixon is very RAW and putting the whole entire first month on a guy with little to no experience is something worth of a gamble. We are simply having to see what Dixon has to offer in the upcomming preseason games. It's not that he takes off running too much, it's how he can translate the playbook and mental smarts into leading a veteran team the first 4 games of the season and quite frankly, we have NOTHING to tell us that he can during a lengthy time period.

Quote:
Question, we could have either " Jake Locker " or Ohio States Terrelle Pryor...which would you want ? And why ? I'm SURE All the Anti-Dixon posters will say Locker, but why ? What has he shown that he is better than Pryor ? What, is Locker a better passer ?...NOPE!
So instead of actually WATCHING each Quarterback play at the college level and understanding the differences of both teams philosophies, you pin it on a white and black issues? You pin it on stats? Stats mean nothing. Stats can be manipulated into anything and doesn't tell the overall story.

Watching Locker and watching Pryor is watching a glorified drop back passer versus a running quarterback. There's no in between whatsoever. I've watched both quarterbacks and there is NO DOUBT that Locker completley outshines Pryor in every category whether it be precision, accuracy, arm strength, and mechanics. Pryor is heavily more athletic and can make things with his feet. Anyone could tell you that there are different things each team look in a QB.

Some like the athletic version in cooperated in their offense, to which a player like Dixon/Pryor could explode in, or they like the pocket presence quarterback who is more built on rhythm and stepping up into a throw within the tackle box, to where someone like Locker would fit. Sure Locker can move and all that, but his strength is to deliver the ball downfield, period. Pryor at many times have struggled to advance the ball downfield when it counted. But stats don't pad anything when it comes to styles and what an offesive minded person is looking for and it CERTAINLY has NOTHING to do with the COLOR OF THEIR SKIN. That's garbage and if this thread turns into that then it should be closed down immediately due to ignorance and motive.

Quote:
( Even though Dixon only ran the ball one time against baltimore in last seasons game )
The only reason why Dixon didn't run was because he was told to stay within the pocket and just make the throw when asked to make the throw. He only completed 12 passes out of 26 attempts for only 145 yards while we ran the ball 38 times. The offense was as vanilla as possible and tried to maintain a no-turnover like attitude and see if the defense could win it, which they almost did until Dixon's key interception in OT. We didn't ask DD to do much, which was the plan all along.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Let me guess....you are a Jason Whitlock fan/wannabe? Please dispense with the Internet Bully routine....please....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
Regarding all this back & forth on whether Dixon can be a QB for us, or does Leftwich HAVE to start cause Dixon can't be a QB cause he looks to run too much. Well, what IF Ben was not here next year, and we had to draft a QB Question, we could have either " Jake Locker " or Ohio States Terrelle Pryor...which would you want ? And why ? I'm SURE All the Anti-Dixon posters will say Locker, but why ? What has he shown that he is better than Pryor ? What, is Locker a better passer ?...NOPE!
Check the stats, Pryor is a much better rated passer, and was a TRUE Sophmore last year only in his second season. Is it because Jake is just built more like a QB than Pryor ?...NOPE, Pryor, although very fast and Athletic, is 6ft, 6, 240 Lbs Is it because Pryor just runs too much ?...well...NOPE..Actually check out Jake's 1st season, and last season for that matter...he runs just about as much as Dixon ever did. So why then is Jake considered without a doubt thee NUMBER ONE pick in next years draft, and Pryor Isn't on ANYONES 1st round Mock board ?

Look at their skin colors,,,and you'll have your answer. Oh I know Lefty is Black to. But not really Black. Meanning, he doesn't run around, and jive and run every chance he gets like Dixon does right ? ( Even though Dixon only ran the ball one time against baltimore in last seasons game )

SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Not to worry my bretheren..........Ben will be here a long time.....He got that thing that sits up on his shoulders srewed on real tight now..........

Let the other teams in the league worry about those 2 other qb's.....We just got to get one or both of these guys ready to go for the first few games.........Were Golden......

Old 08-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

Terrible post. Makes no sense or relevant points when discussing Dixon or Leftwich. Just demented ramblings of a guy that comes off as racist.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
warddj86
Starter

Member Number: 4235

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post

It's not that at all. Dixon is very RAW and putting the whole entire first month on a guy with little to no experience is something worth of a gamble. We are simply having to see what Dixon has to offer in the upcomming preseason games. It's not that he takes off running too much, it's how he can translate the playbook and mental smarts into leading a veteran team the first 4 games of the season and quite frankly, we have NOTHING to tell us that he can during a lengthy time period.

But Dixon had even LESS experience when he was forced to take on Baltimore on SNF, but he adjusted alright, threw a TD to Santonio Holmes and ran one in himself. One lousy INT shoudn't be the reason Lefty should be starting, Dixon has more potential certainly, and Leftwich is past his prime, let the young man from Oregon have a chance, you might be surprised.
warddj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
BradfordTheGreat
Water Boy

Member Number: 14123

Quote:
So why then is Jake considered without a doubt thee NUMBER ONE pick in next years draft, and Pryor Isn't on ANYONES 1st round Mock board ?
Maybe it's because Pryor said he guarantees that he is returning for a senior season?

next
Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

I don't even want to think about us drafting a qb for at least 6 more years- too much talent with Ben and potential with dixon. Too many other more immediate needs which should probably show up in a post around November.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:

Football isn't a one on one game like baseball, so comparing the statistics isn't always inductive of talent. Locker plays at Washington, a very average football team, while Pryor plays for Ohio State, a national powerhouse. With more talent around him, Pryor should put up better numbers than Locker. When you watch them play, though, you can see Locker is the better QB. He is a much better passer, a leader, and a team player. Pryor has always come off a little selfish imo, and I never did like him. Of course, he made a bad first impression when he went to Ohio State instead of Penn State. lol

I agree with you, I think the Steelers should start Dixon. He's younger, and has more upside. With so many teams looking for a young franchise QB, we could easily get a 2nd round pick for him if he shines in the 4 games he plays. On top of that, I think he'll perform better considering our offensive line's woes.

The people who don't want him to start, it isn't necessarily a pocket passer vs. scrambler debate. It's a bit more complicated than that. You have to take into account the whole package. Most people consider DD's running ability a valuable asset because it puts a lot of pressure on a defense. But for those wanting to start Leftwich, DD's running ability doesn't make up for his poor decision making and inability to read the defense. DD certainly has a strong arm and seems accurate to me, but he looks kind of confused sometimes. He looks a little too anxious to run, either he's afraid to take a hit, or he's confused about the coverage.

I don't think this is a race debate whatsoever. For your information, in case you didn't notice, Leftwich is also black. I know it's kind of hard to tell since he doesn't scramble a lot, but you actually have to look at his skin color. lol.

Even with people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton running around race baiting every chance they can get, I never thought somebody could be accused of racism for choosing one black guy over another black guy. This is a joke.

If anything is racist, it's your comment. It sounds like your saying Leftwich doesn't count as black because he's not very fast.

Last edited by cloppbeast; 08-19-2010 at 01:07 PM.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
Griff
Water Boy

Member Number: 16495

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
I agree with you, I think the Steelers should start Dixon. He's younger, and has more upside. With so many teams looking for a young franchise QB, we could easily get a 2nd round pick for him if he shines in the 4 games he plays. On top of that, I think he'll perform better considering our offensive line's woes.
This is huge. If Ben is with us for the long haul, a 2nd round pick to burn on the O line or at corner could really help the team over the long haul.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote