Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-20-2006, 07:40 PM   #11
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811
Default Re: **The official 2006 Major League Baseball Thread**

I will agree that I absolutley hate the owners, they are in it for the money, not to win or for the love of the game. I wish they would sell to a guy like Mark Cuban. While a little out there, there is no doubt he puts his money where his mouth is and does his best to put out a winner. That being said I will always be optamistic about the Buccos, especially with the new coaching staff. Getting rid of Spin Williams is the biggest move of the off season in my opinion...
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #12
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
I will agree that I absolutley hate the owners, they are in it for the money, not to win or for the love of the game. I wish they would sell to a guy like Mark Cuban. While a little out there, there is no doubt he puts his money where his mouth is and does his best to put out a winner. That being said I will always be optamistic about the Buccos, especially with the new coaching staff. Getting rid of Spin Williams is the biggest move of the off season in my opinion...
Optimistic to what degree? Breaking .500? Making the playoffs? Winning a World Series? Keep in my mind I do respect your optimism and by no means am I insulting you. Just wondering.

If this league was actually managed correctly (every team has a shot), I would be optimistic and have hope. I used to enjoy watching baseball (football and hockey first), but the league is a complete joke at this point in time. It's sad. I used to love grabbing a dog and a beer while watching a ball game. Today it's not worth the price of admission. Call me a bandwagon fan, call me a horrible baseball fan........but when my team doesn't have a chance in hell to make a deep playoff run, let alone reach above .500, it's pointless.

Bottomline, baseball needs to change. I'm tired of hearing about Ramirez's sissy fits and If the Yankee's pitching can get it done. One thing I am grateful for in the last two years, I don't have to hear Red Sox fans cry and moan about a curse while having the second highest salary in baseball. As If the baseball world should have stopped and felt sorry for them. Give me a break. Chicago, New York and Boston fans claim to have the best fans in baseball? Hell, I would hope so, they make the damn playoffs year after year. I would hope people would show up in those specific ball parks!!!

I'll start being optimistic when this league gives us and other teams in our situation a fair shake. Until then, MLB won't get a cent out of my pocket. I'm just tired of it. That's all.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-20-2006 at 08:05 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:16 PM   #13
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Also, I would love to have Cuban purchase the team. McClatchy won't sell until he sucks this team and city dry.

As for Tracy. I love his attitude. But the guy can only do so much with the players he has at his disposal. While I don't feel he will make the same idiotic and mind boggling decisions that Mac made while he was here, I still don't see a drastic change in this team. A few more wins maybe?

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-20-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #14
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811

Im optimistic that we have a chance to get to .500 this year. I agree that the baseball finacial landscape needs an overhaul... They made a move in the right direction with the luxury tax but when the CBA is up again they need to make a stand and not take a no to a salary cap. With this current stable of players in Bay, Duke, and Perez we have the tools and the young kids to be in the mid 80 to mid 90 win range within the next 5 years. Heck who knows maybey we sneak into a wildcard spot... We have the best park in the league, I've had the pleasure of going to quite a few games and its amazing. Nothing like a twi-night double header, with the sun going down looking at the city. Going to a game with the family is still affordable for the average joe which I am sad to say is more than can be said for football and hockey. Box seats for about 25 - 30 bucks is a deal. You can even get left field tickets for just over 10 bucks. People want to root for the Bucs, last year when we were 30-30 last year it was the hottest ticket in town... We are almost there, look at the Brewers from last year, they got to 81-81 and they are in the same situation. Going to games with my dad is one of those things I look forward too every summer and are some of my fondest memories as a kid. I still believe baseball is the great american past time. These are two of my favorite quotes,

Terence Mann: Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Baseball? It's just a game - as simple as a ball and a bat. Yet, as complex as the American spirit it symbolizes. It's a sport, business - and sometimes even religion. ~Ernie Harwell
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #15
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Like I said, I wish I was optimistic as you and I respect that, I truly do.

Every year around this time the optimism for this team reaches new heights, only to end with the same old story (fifteen years and counting). McClatchy goes on Stan, gives his cheerleader speech and the end results are always the same.

I hope your right. But like I said.......baseball needs to change. I think Terence Mann would agree on that.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-20-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #16
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

The league does need a major overhaul.

I however am a firm believer that the owners that are spending the money on the team aren't the ones really killing baseball,it's the ones that won't.The owners of teams like the Pirates,Reds,Royals,Brewers,Devil Rays,Marlins,and Rockies.They don't give a crap about winning and losing.Player gets good,trade him for some prospects.

MLB needs not just a salary cap to keep the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox in line,but a salary floor also to keep the teams I just listed in line.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #17
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I still think the Indians have the blueprint for success...in the 90's they spent as much as anybody, but won (and should have won both World Series)...then they dismantled the team, but immediately started rebuilding in the same mold as the 90's teams. This year I expect them to spend some cash around trade time to get them over the hump, mixing young studs with proven talent to make a run.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #18
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I still think the Indians have the blueprint for success...in the 90's they spent as much as anybody, but won (and should have won both World Series)...then they dismantled the team, but immediately started rebuilding in the same mold as the 90's teams. This year I expect them to spend some cash around trade time to get them over the hump, mixing young studs with proven talent to make a run.
I think they will too.If Marte is tearing it up in Buffalo and Boone is having a decent season,I can definatly see us trading Boone for a "missing peice" (probally a pitcher) and brining Marte up to play the hot corner.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:59 PM   #19
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Hey,if any of you wanted to,I know of a baseball forum you all can join up at.

http://www.strike3forums.com which are brought to you by the makers of The NFL Forums (where I also post at).At Strike 3 I am Pronk48,and Suitanim,I am like the only Tribe fan that is there regularly,so I could definatly use some company,lol.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #20
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I would not be entirely surprised if Marte makes the club, and gets some playing time, especially if Boone stumbles.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote