Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-19-2006, 07:52 AM   #1
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Good Tommy Maddox article

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06050/657671.stm

Everyone LOVES to trash Tommy Maddox....

Read this Ed Bouchette article..and remember....before you react. Its really easy
to trash him now...but the same people trashing him now were in love with him 2 years ago...

I have little respect for bandwagon jumpers and short sighted "fans"...Tommy was a great story...and a good QB...I wish him nothing but success in the future.....
Old 02-19-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,827 Times in 2,693 Posts
Default Re: Good Tommy Maddox article

That was a very nice article, but it was like listening to a eulogy at a funeral.

While one should speak nothing but good about the dead (in this case professionally speaking only of course), Ed.B. of the P-G has written in the past that Maddox was fairly hostile to Ben after he lost the starter's job while providing no "mentoring." Ed.B. also provided anonymous quotes from the coaches after the Ravens loss that the Steelers could have passed at will in that game but that Maddox was unable to make the throws. Either those prior stories were false or today's statements about Maddox the mentor and nobody blaming Maddox for the Ravens loss are false.

Since the P-G no longer archives anything in Black & Gold Insider for more than 2 months I cannot access those prior stories.

I would not expect a rip job in a farewell piece on Maddox but, while I am no Maddox fan, I can see how athletes get tired of being ripped for their performances and then have the same writer pretend he or she has never written the rips.

Please also note the excuses (pulled calf muscle, no reps in pre-season, splitting practice reps the week before the Jax game, although no reference this time to the "arm injury" Maddox blamed after the Jax game) for the Jax debacle. If he was not ready to go he should have told Cowher.

Good luck to Maddox in his life's work and good riddance. I do not say this based soley upon performance but upon Maddox's blame shifting for his screw-ups, including but not limited to failing to repudiate his agent after his agent made up stories about Maddox's kids being hassled after the Jax loss.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

The reason why I don't like the guy is not because of his play, but because of the way he handled himself after the games. You should not blame the fans, you should blame Tommy for opening his mouth and making stupid statements. I'm not going to dislike a player because he didn't play well. I will say he "stinks", but I would not personally state I dislike the guy. How he handle's himself off the field defines how I truly feel about a player.

We all understand what Tommy did a few years back. But it's a "what have you done for me lately league". Like it or not, that's just the way it is. For a few million a year, I'd be more than happy.

Nobody likes excuse making. Nobody likes when people make up stories in order for others to feel sorry for them. Nobody likes when a player throws his teammates under the bus (his o-line nonetheless). I wish the guy the best, but good riddance.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-19-2006 at 11:11 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203

Read this Ed Bouchette article..and remember....before you react. Its really easy
to trash him now...but the same people trashing him now were in love with him 2 years ago...
I have little respect for bandwagon jumpers and short sighted "fans"...Tommy was a great story...and a good QB...I wish him nothing but success in the future.....
..... correct-o-mundo.....
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:

Same here. As a matter of fact, after the loss to Jacksonville in the lots everybody was trashing him. I said look, the guy blew chunks today, but look what he has done for us in the past. I wish him luck.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I'm with 83-Steelers. I don't like Tommy because of the way he has handled himself lately.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

I've been a big fan of Tommy Gun until this season. he didn't play well, which upset me but didn't make me dislike him...everyone has bad days. but when I heard some of the comments he made after the game, I got a little tiffed..
Old 02-19-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:

I disaree with you on a couple things. First he was an alright QB. We thought he was good because he replaced Kordell. Most of us just wanted a replacement. Tommy was a good replacement, but an average QB.

Short sighted? Not sure about this either, "What have you done for me lateley" is more like it.

Now that we finally know, after years and years, what a good QB is, Big Ben, Tommy is done. He was an alright fill in, nothing more. Kordell was terrible, so it didn`t take much. Batch is better.

Tommy odes seem like a great guy, and I also wish him the best, as far as trash talking goes, he earned the respect he had, then HE lost the respect he had. He is a grown man, and a NFL football player, he can take it!

Last edited by clevestinks; 02-19-2006 at 11:46 AM.
clevestinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

I'm glad I could get some different reactions, and everyone has made good points for sure.

I feel the need to clarify..there are so many "fans" that just blast this guy. For those who have responded, you back your reactions up with good points..I thank you for that. Tommy has his problems for sure. I guess I just get miffed at folks that blast this guy when these people became fans AFTER Ben took over.

Cleve..great point...St. Pierre would have looked better than Kordell at that point...LOL

LOL..I'm too sentimental..I'll never forget how he rallied the team in the playoff comeback against the Browns...and how the community responded when he was paralyzed in Tennessee...
Old 02-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
ohio's #1 steelers chick
Water Boy

Member Number: 2057

well i am not opposed to maddox's play, but, as several others have also stated, the way he handles himself during the post game time. if he would just accept that he made a mistake in how he played or even kept his story straight he'd be more believable than changing his story all the time. all-in-all good luck and good bye tommy maddox!
ohio's #1 steelers chick is offline   Reply With Quote