Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-19-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
Milkman
Starter

Member Number: 1055
Default Re: Collective Bargaining Crash Looms

No salary cap would be a very bad thing...period.

Us against the world...STILL!
Bring it suckas!
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

There's still hope yet for everyone to come to their senses..but it sure doesnt look good at this point.. the smaller market teams no matter how popular are in for a world of trouble if this thing doesnt get worked out.

Scares me to death !
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:14 PM   #13
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Of course, if an owner simply wants to buy a championship and wants to use his non-franchise assets to do so, Paul Allen leaves the other owners in the dust in terms of personal net worth. For the Rooneys, the Steelers are their source of wealth and I understand they have relatively minimal outside sources of income.
Even though I support a team whose owner has an obscene amount of money to buy a championship with, I wouldn't want to see it happen that way.

I had heard on the radio that the current "capless" proposal would enforce caps on the top 8 teams in the league. Not sure how that would work out though.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:23 PM   #14
FanecaFan66
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1986

If this happens...

we all know what's going to happen. The NFL will turn into major league baseball. And if you're a Pirates fan like me you know what that means.
FanecaFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:11 AM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,417 Times in 3,309 Posts

After the gloomy article from the Washington Post I posted, Pete Prisco on CBS Sportsline writes a more optimistic article on CBA negotiations:

There is talk making its way through the league that the NFL and the players association are close to agreeing on a new collective bargaining agreement. There has been steady progress the past week, giving hope to both sides. The NFL has called a special owners meeting for next week in Dallas. All the doom and gloom of the past year regarding a potential agreement has suddenly been replaced by optimism.

"There has been some good talks this week," said a league source. One issue that seemed to be clouding the talks was the improved revenue sharing between high- and low-revenue teams. But the word is the owners will wait until after a getting an agreement with the NFLPA before worrying about that problem.

The players want a higher percentage of the total revenue, which is believed to be one point that the two sides are close to agreeing on. Don't be shocked to see a new agreement in place in the next week. If that happens, the free-agency period should begin March 3 as planned. With no agreement, the opening of the free-agency period could get pushed back to April.

Hard to reconcile Prisco's optimism with the letter the union's attorney sent to the league office last week that is described in the Post article.

The Prisco article also states that the Redskins are $20 million over the cap and will need to cut starters without a new CBA that will provide some cap relief. That may help move Danny Snyder to support a new CBA (although if Jerry Jones knows no CBA will clobber the Redskins it gives Jones even more incentive to block a new CBA).

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9244108
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #16
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

No salary cap would spell the Ruination of the NFL.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:04 AM   #17
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
After the gloomy article from the Washington Post I posted, Pete Prisco on CBS Sportsline writes a more optimistic article on CBA negotiations:

There is talk making its way through the league that the NFL and the players association are close to agreeing on a new collective bargaining agreement. There has been steady progress the past week, giving hope to both sides. The NFL has called a special owners meeting for next week in Dallas. All the doom and gloom of the past year regarding a potential agreement has suddenly been replaced by optimism.

"There has been some good talks this week," said a league source. One issue that seemed to be clouding the talks was the improved revenue sharing between high- and low-revenue teams. But the word is the owners will wait until after a getting an agreement with the NFLPA before worrying about that problem.

The players want a higher percentage of the total revenue, which is believed to be one point that the two sides are close to agreeing on. Don't be shocked to see a new agreement in place in the next week. If that happens, the free-agency period should begin March 3 as planned. With no agreement, the opening of the free-agency period could get pushed back to April.

Hard to reconcile Prisco's optimism with the letter the union's attorney sent to the league office last week that is described in the Post article.

The Prisco article also states that the Redskins are $20 million over the cap and will need to cut starters without a new CBA that will provide some cap relief. That may help move Danny Snyder to support a new CBA (although if Jerry Jones knows no CBA will clobber the Redskins it gives Jones even more incentive to block a new CBA).

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9244108
Wow who would have thought that schmuck Pete Prickso would have been the bearer of good news - even more shocking is that he appears to be actually reporting on something rather than just offering crowd baiting opinions.

It also looks like the Redskins have taken the 'ostrich' position on the cap and its implications on future years - I wonder how far they can keep pushing back these numbers before they have to pay up.

Looks like there will be some meaty picking from that roster whether or not there is a new CBA.

Personally, I hope they set down another 7-10 year CBA - gives teams a chance to plan for the future without this threat appearing on the horizon again.

Lets all hope we are hearing good news from Tagliabue in the next couple of weeks - rather than some nameless source quoted by Prickso.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 02-20-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #18
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I've heard rumors buzzing around that free agency may be delayed from March 3rd until April 1st in order to get a deal done...it will push everybody back a bit, and make the draft more hectic than it already is, but would be well worth it in the long run...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:25 AM   #19
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve
...and if you're an Oakland A's fan like me, you know it's not the end of the world.

You always hear people on here saying that getting rid of the salary cap will be a huge disaster and the Steelers won't be competitive ever again. That's a bunch of horsecrap. The Steelers will never be like the Royals or the Pirates because they draft well, hire good coaches and make smart moves with their players. The perennially bad teams in football, baseball and basketball are all that way because they draft first-round busts, fire the coach every couple years, make stupid trades and keep guys on the bench who turn out to be superstars when they sign with other teams. We've got none of that here, and the sky is not falling.
They drafted well, they had one of the better coaches in the game, they made trades that got descent prospects back. Hmmm, sounds like the Montreal Expos before Bud light moved the team. In the end, it caught up to them as they could not afford to keep their top players heading into their primes. Every year, it was like a new re-building project with them. Sorry, I don't want the Steelers to lose players in their prime like Ben to Jerry Jones because the a-hole has money to burn. You like the A's. Did you like it when Hudson and Mulder got moved all of sudden as Oakland couldn't afford them once they were a year away from entering free agency? The A's use money ball logic and they haven't won a world series as a result. Just being competitive to get in the playoffs doesn't cut it for me. I want my teams that I root for to have a shot at winning it all. A cap system prevents the have and have nots system that exists in MLB. The Lions and Cardinals you mention, is a direct result of incompetent management. It really has nothing to do with the cap.

And if a cap is that bad, why did the NHL lose one full season for? Just for the sake of it?
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #20
TexaSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesburgh66
They drafted well, they had one of the better coaches in the game, they made trades that got descent prospects back. Hmmm, sounds like the Montreal Expos before Bud light moved the team. In the end, it caught up to them as they could not afford to keep their top players heading into their primes. Every year, it was like a new re-building project with them. Sorry, I don't want the Steelers to lose players in their prime like Ben to Jerry Jones because the a-hole has money to burn. You like the A's. Did you like it when Hudson and Mulder got moved all of sudden as Oakland couldn't afford them once they were a year away from entering free agency? The A's use money ball logic and they haven't won a world series as a result. Just being competitive to get in the playoffs doesn't cut it for me. I want my teams that I root for to have a shot at winning it all. A cap system prevents the have and have nots system that exists in MLB. The Lions and Cardinals you mention, is a direct result of incompetent management. It really has nothing to do with the cap.

And if a cap is that bad, why did the NHL lose one full season for? Just for the sake of it?
I used to worry about free agency, but the Steelers have proven that it doesn't matter to them. They know what they're doing. Here's a list off the top of my head of great players in their prime that we lost that I mistakenly mourned:

Eric Green
Yancy Thigpen
Barry Foster
Bam Morris
Neil O'Donnell
Rod Woodson
Greg Lloyd
Kevin Green
Earl Holmes
Charles Johnson
Ernie Mills
Chad Brown
Kendrell Bell
Plaxico Burress
Bubby Brister (just kiddding)

The Steelers always find new talent and new Pro Bowlers. The real key is the QB. We haven't had one since Bradshaw, now we do.
TexaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote