Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #21
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Collective Bargaining Crash Looms

And that's exactly why we NEED a salary cap...We will have difficulty paying for Ben when his contract comes up as it is...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,333 Times in 2,900 Posts

FYI is a link to another informative Washington Post article on how the absence of a new collective bargaining agreement is complicating contract renegotiations and free agency signings. Because 2006 currently is the final season in which a salary cap will apply: signing bonuses can not be prorated for more than four years; there is no benefit in delaying a player's release until after June 1 to defer part of the salary cap hit to the next season; "likely to be earned" and "not likely to be earned" incentives (you will need to read the article to figure out what that means - I cannot explain it) will all count in the year earned against the cap; and restrictions on salary % increases in future years of a contract make reworking existing contracts more difficult.

A later section of the article states that Gene Upshaw says the players will cease participating in the new stadium loan program, which will cause heartburn to the owners of the Colts, Cowboys, Gianst, and Jets.

Upshaw also supposedly is telling player agents in a meeting on Wednesday that 2007 will not have a salary cap and to avoid negotiating new contracts that keep the player tied to the team for more than the 2006 season.

Finally, the article reports:

Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney told The Washington Post on Monday that six to nine owners are threatening to take legal action if the entire ownership body approves a revenue-sharing plan they don't like.

But if nine teams really are united on the issue, they won't have to take legal action. A revenue-sharing plan would have to be approved by at least 24 of the 32 clubs, so a nine-team coalition could block approval.

If it's only six to eight teams, though, they wouldn't have enough votes to stop the deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042201154.html

This could be a catastrophe.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #23
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

i would HATE to see the NFL turn into the MLB. in baseball, if you have money you win...if you dont, you dont (ex. pittsburgh pirates). this is why i hate baseball, and i will hate the NFL if they have no cap. PLEASE GET SOMETHING DONE!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #24
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve
I know -- something must have happened in the past couple months to convince you that "underdog" playoff teams don't have a shot at winning the Super Bowl! ... That MUST be it, huh?
Underdog teams have a shot at winning in a level playing field. The teams the Steelers beat are all playing by the same rules. No one team was loaded with hired guns or free agents like what the NY Yankees try and do.

And how many underdog, small market teams in Baseball actually win the World Series every year? Not many. This is what I fear would happen without a cap in the NFL. The teams that spend will be there in the end, regardless if the win the big one or not. And who is to say that we will beat the Bengals, Ravens and Browns each year? You can't.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #25
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Baseball and football are apples and oranges. The bottom line, it took us 20 years to finally find a QB to capable of taking us to the promise land, and, if we lose Ben due to some uncapped team outspending us, it may be another 20 years before we find his like again...and, even if that guy flourishes, he'll just be sucked up by a team that outspends us again.

I agree SOMEWHAT about keeping teams profitable, but I also think the cap protects the integrity of the game. Left to their devices, the Jerry Jones' and Daniel Snyders will have NFL jerseys looking like Nascar drivers fire suits before too long...
Old 02-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #26
TexaSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Baseball and football are apples and oranges. The bottom line, it took us 20 years to finally find a QB to capable of taking us to the promise land, and, if we lose Ben due to some uncapped team outspending us, it may be another 20 years before we find his like again...and, even if that guy flourishes, he'll just be sucked up by a team that outspends us again.

I agree SOMEWHAT about keeping teams profitable, but I also think the cap protects the integrity of the game. Left to their devices, the Jerry Jones' and Daniel Snyders will have NFL jerseys looking like Nascar drivers fire suits before too long...
But given the length of that search, don't you think the Rooney's would put up some fat chedda to keep him around in an uncapped market? I would think even the Rooney's would realize that you can replace just about everyone but a championship QB.
TexaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #27
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Nope, I don't. I'm fairly certain that we will have a real struggle on our hands when his contract comes due WITH the cap in place.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #28
TexaSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 896

Well it's great that we can develop young talent for other teams.
TexaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:14 AM   #29
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I honestly dont think Ben will "demand" a huge salary, I am sure his agent will want to get him alot, but when it comes down to it, I think Ben will take less then others are willing to offer to stay with this team. He just strikes me as a team player like that. I am sure he will get a nice contract though.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:26 AM   #30
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,027 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead
I honestly dont think Ben will "demand" a huge salary, I am sure his agent will want to get him alot, but when it comes down to it, I think Ben will take less then others are willing to offer to stay with this team. He just strikes me as a team player like that. I am sure he will get a nice contract though.
if you look at the type of money s. mcnair, c. pennington, d. cullpepper, farve, etc were due to make this year, it seems pretty likely if ben continues on his pace of winning he is gonna be making p. manning and t. brady money plus some. he ll make a ton in endorsements which make him less starved for a megadeal from another team. i wonder if he will want to start throwing for 4000 yds/ season as a stipulation of staying? i think as he learns and matures and the steelers gradually put pieces in place this is what theyre gonna evolve into anyways. not to say they will give up a power running game or smashmouth philosophy, and revert to the tommy gun era, but ben will be expected to earn his next huge contract through the air, which will be easy for him.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote