Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-20-2006, 04:32 PM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: DAMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan
I wouldn't call waiting MORE seasons for a good playoff run something to look forward too.
LOL, sorry brother.....just trying to comfort you.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:35 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,142 Times in 3,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I think the Jets have too much money tied up in ol' noodle arm to allow them to move for a quality starting QB.

He is refusing to take a voluntary cut in wages, which is his right - if he gets cut then he is going to cost the team an absolute bomb.

The Jets are quite a way from competing for a playoff spot just yet - they have big issues all over the field.

NM
jets will be lucky to afford bollinger next year. and people want them to try and get leinart, or r. bush???? these high round draft picks are rediculous when a team like the jets could have a 1st year player as their highest paid.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #23
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I can see the Dolphins,Ratbirds,and Raiders looking at him.

I think one thing that might be a potential barrier for him is the fact he just came off of kinda major shoulder surgery.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #24
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
did I say THAT? i meant n.e. patriots. i wonder how that couldve happened?

bolt fan, i was listening to pat kirwan (i think) and he was saying the best thing the chargers could do was put the transition tag on him that way they dont look like the bad guys by either low balling him or cutting him. the ball would be in breez's court.
If the Bolts Front Office have any sense they won't be bothered about what the media and other fans think of them on this issue.

I rememeber at the start of this year we had a huge furore over the Patriots allegedly trying to low-ball Troy Brown - the NFL is a business and winning is the best way to make money.

The Bolts need to do whats best for the team and the franchise.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #25
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
jets will be lucky to afford bollinger next year. and people want them to try and get leinart, or r. bush???? these high round draft picks are rediculous when a team like the jets could have a 1st year player as their highest paid.
They are in a world of trouble at the moment.

Their starting QB is injury prone and may be permanently affected by his past injuries.

Their starting RB just had the first year of large decline in output - this isn't going to get any better.

They have holes all over the field - they gambled on making the playoffs this year and failed - an amazing run of bad luck with injuries really handicapped them.

This team could easily go 3-13 or 4-12 next year.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #26
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,142 Times in 3,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past

The Bolts need to do whats best for the team and the franchise.

NM
having 16-18 mil. (im just guessing on the actual #) tied up in their top 2 qb's isnt what is best for them and it doesnt make sound business sense. the jets are pathetic and will be that way for a while. t. law was really a case of putting their eggs in 1 basket, as far as money is concerned. i think he will count 1.8 mil towards the salary cap if cut this year. steelers would kill for that extra 1.8 mil. yet they are sitting pretty as champs watching other non contenders piss that money away. sure the steelers will lose some good free agents. but they did last year to when they let p. burress, o. ross, k. bell, and k. vincent walk.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #27
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,945 Posts

The Jets situation indicates how teams need to be patient in assessing how a draft works out. After the Jets went to the AFC championship in 2002, the Steelers were catching a lot of heat for taking Burress over Pennington in the 2000 draft (remember how the Steelers tried to get Pennington after they drafted Plax?)

Burress did not hang around, but he was a productive first round pick.

Hindsight is flawless, but not getting Pennington worked out for the best for the Steelers.

With regard to Brees, the Chargers are facing the same probem all teams face right now in attempting to sign their own FAs A team does not know how to play the cap until you know the period of time over which the bonus can be amortized, which you do not know without a new collective bargaining agreement. The Chargers simply could not put all their $$ on the table for Brees right now.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #28
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Marty Schottenheimer and AJ Smith are total idiots if they let Drew Brees go and I feel pretty confident in saying that this move will blow-up in their faces.

Both Schottenheimer and Smith were both coming under a lot fire before Drew Brees came alive in the 04 season and basically saved their bacon.....as well as his own.

Brees should be healthy and ready to go for the start of the 06 season and the Chargers are legit contenders to make a strong playoff run with Brees at the helm.
Phillip Rivers hasn't proven squat in the NFL and will probably need a season or two to develop and that's if he even develops...............I don't think starting Phillip Rivers is going to set real well in the Chargers locker room especially with Tomlinson, Gates, and Keenan McCardell who know they have a strong chance "now" to make some noise in the playoffs and possibly even making the Superbowl.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #29
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
Marty Schottenheimer and AJ Smith are total idiots if they let Drew Brees go and I feel pretty confident in saying that this move will blow-up in their faces.

Both Schottenheimer and Smith were both coming under a lot fire before Drew Brees came alive in the 04 season and basically saved their bacon.....as well as his own.

Brees should be healthy and ready to go for the start of the 06 season and the Chargers are legit contenders to make a strong playoff run with Brees at the helm.
Phillip Rivers hasn't proven squat in the NFL and will probably need a season or two to develop and that's if he even develops...............I don't think starting Phillip Rivers is going to set real well in the Chargers locker room especially with Tomlinson, Gates, and Keenan McCardell who know they have a strong chance "now" to make some noise in the playoffs and possibly even making the Superbowl.
Only Coach would see the benefit of playing Rivers. (Sorry SFers, that's from an old board me and Ambridge hung out at).

Rivers is Bernie Kosar minus the smarts and accuracy, which essentially means he should collect as much money as he can now before he ends up where he belongs selling used cars...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #30
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Only Coach would see the benefit of playing Rivers. (Sorry SFers, that's from an old board me and Ambridge hung out at).

Rivers is Bernie Kosar minus the smarts and accuracy, which essentially means he should collect as much money as he can now before he ends up where he belongs selling used cars...
Hard to believe it now, but Cowher would have jumped at the chance to draft Rivers over Ben. Rivers was the college QB with the "intangibles" due to a number of come from behind victories at NC State. Rivers may not be a bad QB; it is simply impossible to tell since he has sat on the bench for 2 years.

Thank God Eli had a hissy fit after being drafted by the Chargers; if the Giants did not get Eli they were going to draft Ben over Rivers, whom they took because Marty apparently saw the same skills in Rivers that Cowher did and agreed to swap Rivers for Eli.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote