Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Steelers Six From Around The Web – Monday August 23rd – There’s A Pony In The Backfie

Good morning,

Some impressions from Saturday night:

--- The Maurkice Pouncey experiment is over. He’s no longer competing for the starting job at center. Give it to him now. Pouncey is so dominant at the position that it’s not even close. He looks like a Pro Bowler after two preseason games. Not only does he block his man, he often blocks TWO men, getting one and then running downfield to obliterate someone else. The man consumes defenders. The only question left is what to do with Justin Hartwig, release him or try to make use of him.

--- Byron Leftwich has the strongest arm of all the quarterbacks. Remember early in the spring when he was determined to hit Mike Wallace with a deep pass and not underthrow him? He did it again Saturday, hurling his pass 60 yards before it settled into Wallace’s arms at the 15 for a 68-yard touchdown.

--- Yes, Leftwich has a stronger arm than Ben Roethlisberger. It does not make his arm better than Roethlisberger. That wind up by Leftwich increases his release time, which will cause him some problems, and has during his career.

--- What’s with Ike Taylor? A fistfight in football? He can expect a fine to go along with that ejection. However, it was not necessarily a bad thing. We got to see Keenan Lewis earlier. I thought he looked just OK before he left the game with a concussion.

--- The coaches believe Antonio Brown is not smart enough to grasp the routes he has to run as a wide receiver. I’m told his roster spot is in jeopardy because of it. Look, Steelers coaches once explained that Johnny Unitas wasn’t smart enough either before they released him. Brown is on my team, if for nothing else right now than as a return man. Let’s hope the coaches come around to that way of thinking. Brown showed a good burst right off the ball on his returns and made good decisions where to run. Stefan Logan, for all his speed and quickness, has neither of those two attributes.

--- Not that it really means much, but after two preseason games I’m still waiting for Ziggy Hood to, you know, make me go WOW, as he did during his second training camp. Pouncey already has done that after his first two games.

--- If Bryant McFadden is the best the Steelers have as their No. 2 cornerback, I do not believe the position will be improved this season.

--- Isaac Redman just keeps getting the job done, no matter what is asked of him.

--- The Steelers have said little about a Pony Backfield. Two years ago, after they drafted Rashard Mendenhall, coordinator Bruce Arians said he had the Pony in his playbook. He did not use it and then Mendenhall was eliminated in the fourth game of the season. Think of the Pony as Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier, two running backs together rather than one back or the classic lead fullback and running back. The Steelers paired Mendenhall and Redman a lot Saturday night and Redman has played no fullback this summer. They also seemed to use more fullback-running back than the tight end h-back Arians has preferred in the past.

--- Have to catch a flight. More later.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Steelers Six From Around The Web – Monday August 23rd – There’s A Pony In The Bac

Would be nice to see Mendenhall and Redman split the RB duties, just like in the seventies. We see alot of teams doing this now more than ever. I think it keeps defenses honest or guessing.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053
Default Re: Steelers Six From Around The Web – Monday August 23rd – There’s A Pony In The Bac

I don't know who the Idiot is that said Antonio Brown can't grasp the routes because he is not smart enough. Cause that is BS. And a Lie as well. All I have read from Steeler Vet players to the coaching staff is that Antonio Brown is CLEARLY the most pleasant surprise of ALL the Rookies this year. In the Detroit game on a Blitz, Brown Immediately recognized it, and broke his route and was right there for Dixon's " Hot Read " WR, and caught it for a 10 Yd gain. His 68 Yd TD was a beautifully run slant pattern as well. The guy puts in the extra work like Hines Ward does when he was young. Sorry Pete but that comment that the coaching staff thinks Brown is not smart enough is a totally made-up BS comment. And I have the links to prove it.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Antonio Brown will be a playmaker, mark it down!. I thought he looked good in the Giants game.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
I don't know who the Idiot is that said Antonio Brown can't grasp the routes because he is not smart enough. Cause that is BS. And a Lie as well. All I have read from Steeler Vet players to the coaching staff is that Antonio Brown is CLEARLY the most pleasant surprise of ALL the Rookies this year. In the Detroit game on a Blitz, Brown Immediately recognized it, and broke his route and was right there for Dixon's " Hot Read " WR, and caught it for a 10 Yd gain. His 68 Yd TD was a beautifully run slant pattern as well. The guy puts in the extra work like Hines Ward does when he was young. Sorry Pete but that comment that the coaching staff thinks Brown is not smart enough is a totally made-up BS comment. And I have the links to prove it.
your a retard. this is not from my mouth, its an article i copied and pasted. stop making up your bullshit because im sick of it. 1st off you have no clue what the coaches say so stop pretending. now post your proof because im waiting. im willing to bet you forgot were you put your proof though
Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

Pete, first off I did not call you out per se. I was saying whoever said it. I know the Quote came from a Ed Bouchette blog. And trust me Ed is NOT a Steeler Insider. No members of the media are in Steeler land Pete. You should know this. Now maybe a former player might have some Insight. But not a pure media reporter who has never played the game. Also that piece was written 12 das ago, and just postd by message board members like yourself. The proof is in the pudding Pete. Look at the two games, who has been running better routes ?...Sanders or Brown ? Who had better return numbers, Brown or Logan ? I mean it's simple Pete. Also, no direct steeler coach is gonna EVER call out ANY player, especially a ROOKIE player as not being smart enough...Never! Anyways Pete, here is one former Steelers opinion on Brown. And I will take HIS word over Bouchette's any day of the week.

http://www.craigwolfley.com/blog/201...amp-blog-2010-
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

I would cut hartwig if he wasn't the starter. I saw him get bowled over a couple of times in the super bowl and he's not getting any younger or better.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,484 Times in 1,513 Posts

i agree with EVERYTHING in that article except the part about brown, because i have no idea weather its fact or not.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,616 Times in 2,863 Posts

http://www.craigwolfley.com/blog/201...amp-blog-2010-

wolf man has a kick ass blog and what he observed of brown definitely got me high on him. i think logan is now in some serious trouble, especially if brown keeps displaying those hands.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Good morning,

Some impressions from Saturday night:

--- The Maurkice Pouncey experiment is over. He’s no longer competing for the starting job at center. Give it to him now. Pouncey is so dominant at the position that it’s not even close. He looks like a Pro Bowler after two preseason games. Not only does he block his man, he often blocks TWO men, getting one and then running downfield to obliterate someone else. The man consumes defenders. The only question left is what to do with Justin Hartwig, release him or try to make use of him.

--- Byron Leftwich has the strongest arm of all the quarterbacks. Remember early in the spring when he was determined to hit Mike Wallace with a deep pass and not underthrow him? He did it again Saturday, hurling his pass 60 yards before it settled into Wallace’s arms at the 15 for a 68-yard touchdown.

--- Yes, Leftwich has a stronger arm than Ben Roethlisberger. It does not make his arm better than Roethlisberger. That wind up by Leftwich increases his release time, which will cause him some problems, and has during his career.

--- What’s with Ike Taylor? A fistfight in football? He can expect a fine to go along with that ejection. However, it was not necessarily a bad thing. We got to see Keenan Lewis earlier. I thought he looked just OK before he left the game with a concussion.

--- The coaches believe Antonio Brown is not smart enough to grasp the routes he has to run as a wide receiver. I’m told his roster spot is in jeopardy because of it. Look, Steelers coaches once explained that Johnny Unitas wasn’t smart enough either before they released him. Brown is on my team, if for nothing else right now than as a return man. Let’s hope the coaches come around to that way of thinking. Brown showed a good burst right off the ball on his returns and made good decisions where to run. Stefan Logan, for all his speed and quickness, has neither of those two attributes.

--- Not that it really means much, but after two preseason games I’m still waiting for Ziggy Hood to, you know, make me go WOW, as he did during his second training camp. Pouncey already has done that after his first two games.

--- If Bryant McFadden is the best the Steelers have as their No. 2 cornerback, I do not believe the position will be improved this season.

--- Isaac Redman just keeps getting the job done, no matter what is asked of him.

--- The Steelers have said little about a Pony Backfield. Two years ago, after they drafted Rashard Mendenhall, coordinator Bruce Arians said he had the Pony in his playbook. He did not use it and then Mendenhall was eliminated in the fourth game of the season. Think of the Pony as Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier, two running backs together rather than one back or the classic lead fullback and running back. The Steelers paired Mendenhall and Redman a lot Saturday night and Redman has played no fullback this summer. They also seemed to use more fullback-running back than the tight end h-back Arians has preferred in the past.

--- Have to catch a flight. More later.

Antonio Brown is the man.....He runs straight up the field into the teeth of the coverage........A man named Desmond Howard used to do that........I like Logan, but he is an around the corner guy.........The best returners of all time were straight into the teeth guys..........He is awesome........

He will develop into a good receiver under Hines........

His first return Saturday gave him a roster spot in my book.......The next couple were just reassurance icing.......

Is is just me, or does "Straight into the teeth guy" sound like something Tomlin would say?....