Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Colon...I wonder

It's been so long that we've tried Colon at guard. Maybe he would be an awesome R guard. Sucky tackes like Foster and Essex have already shown they can play guard better.

Although this won't matter this year, it is important for building a future O-line.

Still...I hope by some miricle we can acquire Mike Pouncey for R guard. It wouuld be great for chemistry. Will he be available at the 32nd pick after we in te SB is the question. We may need to trade up for him.

If not, I think we should give Colon another shot at RT.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
SteelKnight
Team President

Default Re: Colon...I wonder

Same with Flozelle...though he may be insulted...lol His problem is speedy edge rushers. No edge rushers to deal with if he plays guard. Flozelle might be a probowl R guard. lol
Old 08-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I always said I think Colon would be a probowl guard
Old 08-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
SteelKnight
Team President

Exactly. I was actually hoping we would land a good RT in the past draft so we could start him and move Colon to guard but that didn't happen. Like you said, we would of killed two birds with one stone.

Both our guards are mediocre at best. Everyone seems to love Kemo but he gives up more sacks then anyone.

The 2011 draft were going to have to really build up both our lines(offensive and defense).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I always said I think Colon would be a probowl guard
Yeah...why not? We haven't let him try out for guard since we had Simmons. There has never been anyone good enough to take his tackle spot so we could never try him at another position. Since he is familiar with the R side and knows the tackle and guard assignments, it might be a smooth transition. Tony Mandarich was a terrible tackle but a really good guard.

The reason it's important is we need to know who we have to go out and get next year.

There is no way we will be bad enough to get a top tackle so we should invest a lot on the best available free agent tackle to play R tackle and if colon can play R guard and be good, that would solve 3 position on the O-line without us even making our draft pick. Maybe we should then pick the top guard ...move up if we need to to compete with Kemo (and possibly Colon).

LT Starks
LG # 1 Draft pick 2011 (Maybe Mike Pouncey)
C Pouncey
RG Colon
RT Best free agent RT...just pay the highest for once.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,465 Times in 2,747 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Yeah...why not? We haven't let him try out for guard since we had Simmons. There has never been anyone good enough to take his tackle spot so we could never try him at another position. Since he is familiar with the R side and knows the tackle and guard assignments, it might be a smooth transition. Tony Mandarich was a terrible tackle but a really good guard.

The reason it's important is we need to know who we have to go out and get next year.

There is no way we will be bad enough to get a top tackle so we should invest a lot on the best available free agent tackle to play R tackle and if colon can play R guard and be good, that would solve 3 position on the O-line without us even making our draft pick. Maybe we should then pick the top guard ...move up if we need to to compete with Kemo (and possibly Colon).

LT Starks
LG # 1 Draft pick 2011 (Maybe Mike Pouncey)
C Pouncey
RG Colon
RT Best free agent RT...just pay the highest for once.
I hope we don't get Mike. Reason being is I think he may be a high pick. If we get him, that means we sucked this year
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
I hope we don't get Mike. Reason being is I think he may be a high pick. If we get him, that means we sucked this year
I hope he falls to the 20s and we move up.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
Tone's Toes
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14418

Nothing wrong with Colon at tackle. He takes too many penalties but the rest of his game is very solid. Steeler fans are way off base with Colon. He's a much better player/tackle than they realize.
Tone's Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Colon would be a stud at guard........But who can play r tackle on the roster better than him?.......We need a top tackle draft pick.....

Last edited by wootawnee; 08-25-2010 at 08:12 AM.
wootawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Colon would be a stud at guard........But who can play r tackle on the roster better than him?.......We need a top tackle draft pick.....
That's what I'm saying. if this line really sucks, we could draft the top guard with our first pick to compete with Kemo.

For RT, we should...shocker...PAY for a free agent and if Colon can move to RG, we would have solid linemen in 1 year.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone's Toes View Post
Nothing wrong with Colon at tackle. He takes too many penalties but the rest of his game is very solid. Steeler fans are way off base with Colon. He's a much better player/tackle than they realize.
Exactly-- the guy gets slandered non-stop on every Steelers forum I visit, but the numbers clearly show, he is one of the top 5 tackles in the NFL. We could do well without all his neutral zone infractions though-- those get kinda old, and should be the very first thing any Olineman masters.

With all the personnel issues we had this offseason, I think the media made a mountain out of a molehill on all of them, except the loss of Colon. I think that was our most significant loss-- not Holmes.

I recall some of the hellish drills we did in high school to break us of those bad habits that lead to neutral zone infractions (and not just excusable stuff like jumping offsides, but stupid stuff like not lining up properly)....