Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
rthorsn
Water Boy

Member Number: 13760
Default Didn't think it was going to happen but

I have been watching the preseason games (as I am sure we all have) and one thing I have noticed is that Tony Hills has been playing A LOT better the last 2 preseason games. I noticed it at first against the Detroit Lions but I chalked it up to the fact that it was the DETROIT LIONS!! But again he was finishing blocks against the Giants Saturday night. I am not getting my hopes up to much but watching F. Adams hold ALL THE TIME makes me want to see anybody and everybody step up and push him off the team. Has anybody else noticed this??
rthorsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,864 Times in 2,904 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Didn't think it was going to happen but

yep. he's been a pleasant suprise. I hope he can push adams out of a starting spot also, because flozell hasn't impressed me at all. That and the dude is at the tail end of his career, whereas hills could be a long term solution if he steps his game up. He definitely has the talent.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

he has looked good and hopefully it continues
Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
yep. he's been a pleasant suprise. I hope he can push adams out of a starting spot also, because flozell hasn't impressed me at all. That and the dude is at the tail end of his career, whereas hills could be a long term solution if he steps his game up. He definitely has the talent.
Nah...he still has his eyes on LT and he is not better than Starks yet. If he did not let his Ego get in the way, he should have asked to learn both positions so at the very least he could be the back up active tackle. For whatever reason...maybe because he played LT in college...maybe the prestige and money of being an LT, he has kept his sights only on LT. With that mentality, you either are the starter or you are inactive or off the team. They will only use 7 active in the game and one usually must be able to do center/guard and another EITHER tackle spot. Unless he can show that he can play RT too or beat Starks at LT, he will not be active.

Now...if he is that good and they want to play him at LT and move Starks to RT, that's another thing. I doubt it.

He may make the team but unless he learns RT, he will be inactive.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Nah...he still has his eyes on LT and he is not better than Starks yet. If he did not let his Ego get in the way, he should have asked to learn both positions so at the very least he could be the back up active tackle. For whatever reason...maybe because he played LT in college...maybe the prestige and money of being an LT, he has kept his sights only on LT. With that mentality, you either are the starter or you are inactive or off the team. They will only use 7 active in the game and one usually must be able to do center/guard and another EITHER tackle spot. Unless he can show that he can play RT too or beat Starks at LT, he will not be active.

Now...if he is that good and they want to play him at LT and move Starks to RT, that's another thing. I doubt it.

He may make the team but unless he learns RT, he will be inactive.
That's a shame, I wasn't expecting to him to try to push for the RT position though, I was more just hoping. Flozell the ho bag looks terrible
Old 08-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
That's a shame, I wasn't expecting to him to try to push for the RT position though, I was more just hoping. Flozell the ho bag looks terrible
He took the wrong approach if you ask me. He should have asked to learn both and be ready to earn an active spot as a swing back up tackle the moment he saw that he couldn't beat Starks.

If they keep him and place him as active, that means the other active non starter needs to be able to play guard and Right tackle. Someone like Foster would do but the problem would be they would have no back up center so then Foster would have to learn how to snap the ball, make line reads and play center too. That's too much.

I believe one of the two active non starters will have center capability so it will be either Hartwig or Legursky. This means the other active non starter needs to be able to play BOTH tackle positions. Hill only plays left and that may be his downfall.

They could put him on the team as an inactive player.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
He took the wrong approach if you ask me. He should have asked to learn both and be ready to earn an active spot as a swing back up tackle the moment he saw that he couldn't beat Starks.

If they keep him and place him as active, that means the other active non starter needs to be able to play guard and Right tackle. Someone like Foster would do but the problem would be they would have no back up center so then Foster would have to learn how to snap the ball, make line reads and play center too. That's too much.

I believe one of the two active non starters will have center capability so it will be either Hartwig or Legursky. This means the other active non starter needs to be able to play BOTH tackle positions. Hill only plays left and that may be his downfall.

They could put him on the team as an inactive player.
most likely. he did look like he handled kiwanuka much better than starks did though. can starks play RT?