Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-21-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Chris Hope Speaks......

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_425876.html

This should be interesting......
Old 02-21-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520
Default Re: Chris Hope Speaks......

it sounds like he really does want to stay in Pittsburgh, but I guess we'll see how badly soon. in one of the other threads, I think about El, someone said they wished the players would talk about money instead of making it seem like money has nothing to do with it. well there you go. I think he did it in a way that doesn't make him sound greedy, just realistic.
also, I agree with steelreserve. I don't doubt that Hope is one of the best in the league, but I hope he realizes we have a lot of other deserving players that will most likely keep us from paying him as much as he wants
Old 02-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,668 Posts

Even if a team had players across the board who really were in the "top five" at their respective positions (Hope puts himself there for both free safety and strong safety, which indicates he certainly does not lack for self-confidence), the cap does not allow a team to pay all of those players "top five" money.

By his "lack of depth" comments Bettis played the role of loyal team mate and helped get Hope's salary campaign rolling, but there is no way Hope is going to get a contract from the Steelers that makes him one of 5 highest paid safeties in the league. The Steelers have a real top five safety with whom they will have to negotiate a new contract in the next two years and they cannot afford to pay top $ for Troy, Ike Taylor, Keisel and Hope.

Because the Steelers cannot afford to re-sign at least one of those four I would regretfully select Hope as the one who is allowed to leave. Both Keisel and Hope are quoted today in the Trib-Review that this is a business; they got that right.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
FanecaFan66
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1986

One thing that is kind of being forgotten about here is the complex defense our team runs. It is more complex than any other in the national football league, and for that reason alone Hope should be retained. I understand the points being made, and I agree he doesn't command a huge salary and if he demanded it ship him out no doubt. But if we can lock him up then the front office must not sit on its hands.

Now back to my point about the defense. You can't just plug in another guy into Hope's spot and expect the same kind of results, or anything close to his performance. He and Troy are the best one/two safety tandem in the league and it would be a crime to split them up, and what makes them so effective is their knowledge of the defense, which is so complex our defensive MVP Troy Polamalu failed to start in his rookie season because of the complexity. Now with that said, Hope can improve, for example instead of trying to lay everyone out he sees the ball going to, he could play the ball a little more. With exception to that he fits the system well, he wants to remain a steeler, and the FO needs to make it happen.

I expect Townsend to be the subtracted from next year's secondary. Besides that I'm excited with the young corners we have, they made some huge plays down the stretch especially post season.
FanecaFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
FanecaFan66
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1986

In addition I gotta give props to Atlanta Dan. Totally agree on the Ike Taylor comment.

And this is a guy in addition to Troy that we have to lock up for a long time. If he improves the hands he could become one of the best corners in the league.
FanecaFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanecaFan66
Now back to my point about the defense. You can't just plug in another guy into Hope's spot and expect the same kind of results, or anything close to his performance.
AMEN

Hope is not easily replaced...if we bring in a new safety...expect a one season adjustment period. This is no standard scheme. Troy will need reigned in to cover for the new guy...and THAT takes us out of what we do best...confuse QB's...

Priorities:

Hope
Keisel
Townshend
Old 02-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
ohio's #1 steelers chick
Water Boy

Member Number: 2057

i agree on the defense quotes and that ike and troy are key to the defense, but i also think we sometimes overlook the fact that hope had some of the teams highest stats this season. now he will most definately not be easily replaced nor do i want him to be replaced, but if it must be done, then it must be done.
ohio's #1 steelers chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #8
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
AMEN

Hope is not easily replaced...if we bring in a new safety...expect a one season adjustment period. This is no standard scheme. Troy will need reigned in to cover for the new guy...and THAT takes us out of what we do best...confuse QB's...

Priorities:

Hope
Keisel
Townshend
so you want ike to go? you guys are crazy.

ike taylor, a star in the making....get rid of townsend, hes nothing special.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #9
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lers
so you want ike to go? you guys are crazy.

ike taylor, a star in the making....get rid of townsend, hes nothing special.
Ike's a restricted FA..he isnt going anywhere
Old 02-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

See ya Hope, don't want to break the bank on him, when we have to worry about resigning Troy next season, and have to resign Ben in a couple of years.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote