Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
jady
Banned

Member Number: 16661
Default Dixon Could Give Pittsburgh Reason To Ditch Big Ben

Let’s face the facts about some of the NFL rumors surrounding Steeler Nation. Pittsburgh has been looking for a way to get rid of Ben Roethlisberger behind the scenes all summer. What he did was irreprehensible especially considering that he’s the face of the franchise. But I’m not here to talk about morals. I want to talk about the future of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Roethlisberger is one of the best quarterbacks in the league right now. You can’t deny that. What I won’t deny is the rumor that the Steelers, and the city of Pittsburgh, want to get rid of him. So why hasn’t this movement gained any steam yet?

He threw for 4,328 yards (7th) and 26 touchdowns (10th) in the 2009 NFL betting season, but what really defines Roethlisberger is his uncanny, Elway-esque leadership and his staggering combination of size and mobility. Sure, he gets sacked a ton, but Big Ben moves like a 6-foot-5, 241 pound ninja on some Sundays.

On top of all that he’s just 28, entering his physical prime with two Super Bowl victories already in his pocket. Yet, this whole suspension thing is just too weird. For a guy as charming and well spoken as he is, Roethlisberger’s name pops up in one-too-many rape charges (and in all honesty, one is too many). The Steelers have to decide whether or not to dump a ticking time bomb like Roethlisberger or hope to God that he has truly rehabilitated. NFL jerseys

Roethlisberger is definitely going to miss the first four games of the season, though NFL rumors seem to persist that the league will give him the max suspension of six games to set an example. The bad part is that that’s the easy part of their tough schedule. The second half of the season gets definitively much more difficult.

Essentially, if Roethlisberger is gone for the season, then he has cost the Steelers the entire 2010 NFL betting season. Can the franchise really risk him costing them more? Professional sports is a “what have you done for more lately” environment after all. If all Ben has done lately is get in to trouble with the law and botched the entire 2010 NFL betting season all together, then I’m not sure if fans would be able to forgive him. Will the fans be that patient with him?

In most cases I’d say “yes”, but this is Pittsburgh we’re talking about. If there was ever a city that epitomized the phrase “blue collar” amongst NFL cities, it’s Pittsburgh.

And here’s the rub – I think fans in Pittsburgh would want Ben Roethlisberger out of town if they knew they had someone waiting in the wings. I genuinely think that. One of the only reasons that a city would accept Roethlisberger after what he did is because they love football that damn much. If there was an heir apparent in Pittsburgh, he would be the rallying point for the fans.wholesale nfl jerseys

That’s where Dennis Dixon comes in.

Pittsburgh, and NFL betting circles, really don’t know that much about the former Oregon Duck. He’s a 6-foot-3, 209 pound run-and-gunner who was a good enough athlete to be considered by the Chicago Cubs as a pitcher. Boasting a great arm, and smart feet, Dixon could be the quarterback of the future for Pittsburgh.

He’s just never gotten the chance until now. The one time we saw Dixon last season was in the 20-17 overtime loss to the Baltimore Ravens. Dixon went 12-for-26 with 145 yards and 2 touchdowns, though his late interception basically cost the Steelers the game. Yet, those of you that remember that game will also recount just how much pressure Dixon was under with the Steelers’ fledgling playoff hopes hanging on every one of his passes.

Did he play a great game? Not really. Was he outright terrible? Not at all. Has he had a chance to be the main man in two years? Not with Roethlisberger standing in the way.

Now Big Ben is out of the way and Dixon is finally getting first-team reps alongside Byron Leftwich. Sorry to say this about the plucky Leftwich, but he’s had the last four NFL seasons to prove he’s an NFL starter. Now we know for sure that he isn’t, especially at 30-years old.

If you’ve made it this far, you probably have as many questions about Dixon as any other Pittsburgh Steelers fan grazing the NFL rumor mill. For those of you who are just rolling your eyes at this, let’s also put things in to perspective.

Nobody expected Young to be as good as Montana. Nobody knew who Brady was when he replaced the beloved Drew Bledsoe. Same with Craig Morton and Roger Staubach. Nobody though Kerry Collins would lead the Titans on a miraculous role in 2008 when Vince Young lost his mind, and same goes for Kurt Warner when he took over for Matt Leinart in Arizona.

You never know what to expect out of backup quarterbacks, aside from the unexpected.

It’s not like Dixon is playing some impossible foes should he win the starting bid. The Steelers face Atlanta, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Cleveland and Miami in that order for the first six games of the season, which includes a Week 5 bye. Not a cake walk, but if anything it will prove how much resolve Dixon has.

And if Dixon takes full advantage of those chances, and earns the top spot on the depth chart like NFL rumors are insisting he can, Big Ben may have played his last game in Pittsburgh already.

Bet on the Pittsburgh Steelers and all your favorite AFC Teams in AFC Championship odds here!
jady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: Dixon Could Give Pittsburgh Reason To Ditch Big Ben

Old 08-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

You never know Curtis Painter could become the Colts franchise. I mean it's not his fault Manning decided to throw the Jets game last season. He only had 20 minutes to prepare.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
steelrush
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14589

You made some valid points indeed in your thread which, by the way, was a great read.
My opinion on the matter is that Ben isn’t on the “we want to get you outta way/town” list but rather on the “we’ll see if what you said will be practiced/executed” one. That much is certain, counting what mr. A.J.R II stated.
Ben is wanted still. It’s just up to him. That – for me – appears to be the case.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
You never know Curtis Painter could become the Colts franchise. I mean it's not his fault Manning decided to throw the Jets game last season. He only had 20 minutes to prepare.
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Hot

That would be a big NO WAY. Dixon can't carry Ben's jock. If they ship Ben out for some incomprehensible reason (he was never charged or arrested for anything) then they will have to try to draft a franchise QB. Dixon is not the kind of QB who will take the Steelers above .500. You want to see 6-10, 7-9 or 8-8 seasons with no playoffs, then Dixon is your man. It has been shown again and again with these running QBs (Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick, Kordell Stewart, etc.) that they never learn to read defenses, don't go through their progressions and take off like a scared jackrabbit before the play even breaks down. Sure they have some big splash plays but it takes consistency moving drives down the field by your field general to win big games.

I don't know what it is about this love for Dennis Dixon. He has proved nothing. His only start was mediocre at best and he blew the game by throwing an INT. Why people keep saying he did so well with only a few days to get ready is beyond me. HE LOST THE GAME WHICH COST US THE PLAYOFFS AS MUCH AS REED MISSING THOSE FIELD GOALS IN CHICAGO.

Ben is the franchise QB. Ben is the only one who will lead this team anywhere. Dixon is Kordell Stewart revisited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jady View Post
Let’s face the facts about some of the NFL rumors surrounding Steeler Nation. Pittsburgh has been looking for a way to get rid of Ben Roethlisberger behind the scenes all summer. What he did was irreprehensible especially considering that he’s the face of the franchise. But I’m not here to talk about morals. I want to talk about the future of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Roethlisberger is one of the best quarterbacks in the league right now. You can’t deny that. What I won’t deny is the rumor that the Steelers, and the city of Pittsburgh, want to get rid of him. So why hasn’t this movement gained any steam yet?

He threw for 4,328 yards (7th) and 26 touchdowns (10th) in the 2009 NFL betting season, but what really defines Roethlisberger is his uncanny, Elway-esque leadership and his staggering combination of size and mobility. Sure, he gets sacked a ton, but Big Ben moves like a 6-foot-5, 241 pound ninja on some Sundays.

On top of all that he’s just 28, entering his physical prime with two Super Bowl victories already in his pocket. Yet, this whole suspension thing is just too weird. For a guy as charming and well spoken as he is, Roethlisberger’s name pops up in one-too-many rape charges (and in all honesty, one is too many). The Steelers have to decide whether or not to dump a ticking time bomb like Roethlisberger or hope to God that he has truly rehabilitated. NFL jerseys

Roethlisberger is definitely going to miss the first four games of the season, though NFL rumors seem to persist that the league will give him the max suspension of six games to set an example. The bad part is that that’s the easy part of their tough schedule. The second half of the season gets definitively much more difficult.

Essentially, if Roethlisberger is gone for the season, then he has cost the Steelers the entire 2010 NFL betting season. Can the franchise really risk him costing them more? Professional sports is a “what have you done for more lately” environment after all. If all Ben has done lately is get in to trouble with the law and botched the entire 2010 NFL betting season all together, then I’m not sure if fans would be able to forgive him. Will the fans be that patient with him?

In most cases I’d say “yes”, but this is Pittsburgh we’re talking about. If there was ever a city that epitomized the phrase “blue collar” amongst NFL cities, it’s Pittsburgh.

And here’s the rub – I think fans in Pittsburgh would want Ben Roethlisberger out of town if they knew they had someone waiting in the wings. I genuinely think that. One of the only reasons that a city would accept Roethlisberger after what he did is because they love football that damn much. If there was an heir apparent in Pittsburgh, he would be the rallying point for the fans.wholesale nfl jerseys

Pittsburgh, and NFL betting circles, really don’t know that much about the former Oregon Duck. He’s a 6-foot-3, 209 pound run-and-gunner who was a good enough athlete to be considered by the Chicago Cubs as a pitcher. Boasting a great arm, and smart feet, Dixon could be the quarterback of the future for Pittsburgh.

He’s just never gotten the chance until now. The one time we saw Dixon last season was in the 20-17 overtime loss to the Baltimore Ravens. Dixon went 12-for-26 with 145 yards and 2 touchdowns, though his late interception basically cost the Steelers the game. Yet, those of you that remember that game will also recount just how much pressure Dixon was under with the Steelers’ fledgling playoff hopes hanging on every one of his passes.

Did he play a great game? Not really. Was he outright terrible? Not at all. Has he had a chance to be the main man in two years? Not with Roethlisberger standing in the way.

Now Big Ben is out of the way and Dixon is finally getting first-team reps alongside Byron Leftwich. Sorry to say this about the plucky Leftwich, but he’s had the last four NFL seasons to prove he’s an NFL starter. Now we know for sure that he isn’t, especially at 30-years old.

If you’ve made it this far, you probably have as many questions about Dixon as any other Pittsburgh Steelers fan grazing the NFL rumor mill. For those of you who are just rolling your eyes at this, let’s also put things in to perspective.

Nobody expected Young to be as good as Montana. Nobody knew who Brady was when he replaced the beloved Drew Bledsoe. Same with Craig Morton and Roger Staubach. Nobody though Kerry Collins would lead the Titans on a miraculous role in 2008 when Vince Young lost his mind, and same goes for Kurt Warner when he took over for Matt Leinart in Arizona.

You never know what to expect out of backup quarterbacks, aside from the unexpected.

It’s not like Dixon is playing some impossible foes should he win the starting bid. The Steelers face Atlanta, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Cleveland and Miami in that order for the first six games of the season, which includes a Week 5 bye. Not a cake walk, but if anything it will prove how much resolve Dixon has.

And if Dixon takes full advantage of those chances, and earns the top spot on the depth chart like NFL rumors are insisting he can, Big Ben may have played his last game in Pittsburgh already.

Bet on the Pittsburgh Steelers and all your favorite AFC Teams in AFC Championship odds here!

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

The majority of TRUE Steeler fans are supporting Ben. The Steelers in NO WAY were never considering trading Ben Roethlisberger. How do I know this ?,...Cause Kevin Colbert held a NATIONAL press conference to rebuke it, that's how. Morals are personal to each Individual. But the LAW is the LAW, and Ben broke NO LAWS!! Now maybe the Rooney's were upset cause they thought Ben was putting himself out there again to BE accused again after the Nevada Incident,,,which we all now know was completely Bogus. But at that time, it was still pending. So under that I understand, and say Ben WAS Immature. But we have went over this and over this,,,I...and MANY others feel Ben's 6 game suspension was way too long, even if it is reduced to 4, and it was based TOTALLY on the fact that Ben was a High Profile WHITE player,,,which IS completely true. But either way, it is over, Ben, even though he disagrees with the decision has accepted it to promote Harmony. And not Unless a Video comes out with a naked Ben with Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan in a Hotel Bed with a mountain of Cocaine...Ben AIN'T never even being considered by Pittsburgh to be traded.

Last edited by SteelCityMom; 08-28-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Knock off the flaming.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
EPMD
Water Boy

Member Number: 13043

"Let’s face the facts about some of the NFL rumors surrounding Steeler Nation. Pittsburgh has been looking for a way to get rid of Ben Roethlisberger behind the scenes all summer."

Now that's some really bad analysis which led to an equally bad post. There is absolutely no proof to what is accepted as fact in the post about the Steelers' intentions with Ben, and exactly what facts are there to gather from rumors anyway...??? The idea that ANY team would give up on a 2-time SB winning QB based on unprovable allegations, and then hand the team over to an unproven - though exciting - youngster, is absolute fantasy. Add to that the fact that the same QB followed up a SB-winning season with a personal-best season, and you pretty much need dynamite to get Big Ben bounced outta Pittsburgh. There's no doubt that Ben's actions were an embarrassement and that he needs to make a permanent change to that aspect of his life NOW, or he will be gone. But The original poster who claims that Ben is already on his way out of town actually provides more justification to believe that Ben's here to stay:

"He threw for 4,328 yards (7th) and 26 touchdowns (10th) in the 2009 NFL betting season, but what really defines Roethlisberger is his uncanny, Elway-esque leadership and his staggering combination of size and mobility. Sure, he gets sacked a ton, but Big Ben moves like a 6-foot-5, 241 pound ninja on some Sundays."

Ben ain't goin' anywhere. Just deal with it. But this issue will hound Ben and the Steelers all year long and into next spring, since some people just can't seem to let it go. And it tends to be fans of other teams, as it seems to me we have a Denver troll on the board angling for a way to get Ben into a Broncos uni.

There'll be more of these trade rumors at the "owner's meetings" after the Super Bowl, unless Ben does something really cool to kill all these ridiculous ruminations. Something cool like... win a 3rd Super Bowl championship.
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,155 Times in 480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jady View Post

Wow, so dumb. Tons of wasted effort of brainstorming the Ben situation when in reality, you're own observation on this whole matter is nothing short of delusion and a figment of your own imagination. Funny that this is about Dixon being the Steelers offseason savior when he's not even going to start in week 1.

Attempt: A.
Execution: F.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Jady must have gotten banned for another Ben thread. Didnt agree with anything on this subject. Lets just get ready for some damn football, thats the past now lets move on to the future.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote