Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 08-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,365 Times in 566 Posts
Default SI picks Steelers to win it all in 2010

Quote:
Steelers Cut Roster With 6 Moves; SI Picks Them For Super Bowl
Pittsburgh Releases Players To Meet NFL Limit Of 75

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers trimmed their player roster to the NFL-mandated limit of 75 on Tuesday morning by cutting four players and putting one more on the physically unable to perform list.

Released were offensive tackle Adrian Jones, linebacker Brandon Renkart, cornerback David Pittman and fullback Dwayne Wright. None of those four were on the team last year.

Offensive tackle Chris Scott, a fifth-round draft pick from Tennessee, went on the PUP list with a foot injury that has prevented him from practicing. The Steelers said he'll be out six weeks.

Also, linebacker Andre Frazier was waived from the reserve/injured list. He had been placed on the list with a season-ending knee injury earlier this month.

More moves will be made to reduce the roster as the season opener on Sept. 12 gets closer.

We'll send the latest Pittsburgh sports headlines to your phone or e-mail every day... just sign up here.

Sports Illustrated's 2010 NFL preview issue goes on sale Wednesday, and it includes a prediction that the Steelers will win their seventh Super Bowl title -- even though quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is suspended to begin the season.

Senior writer Peter King is picking the Steelers to win the AFC North Division with an 11-5 record and beat the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV.

Here's an excerpt of King from the new SI issue:

“The Steelers’ MVP might be Roger Goodell. At press time it appeared likely the commissioner would reduce Roethlisberger’s suspension from six games to four for good behavior -- Roethlisberger spent the summer kissing babies and signing every autograph within miles at training camp. Byron Leftwich and/or Dennis Dixon should be able to navigate a friendly first-month schedule (Atlanta, at Tennessee, at Tampa Bay, Baltimore) and hand Roethlisberger a 3-1 team when he returns. A six-game suspension? That would be trouble, obviously.”
Atleast one MAJOR sports magazine remembers that Pittsburgh has a pro football team with 6 titles. Does this dude EVER pick right? I kind of feel dirty that he picked us to win the Super Bowl over the Pack this season. The curse is on. Even though I hate all the media attention and would rather have every national media circuit out there by pass the Steelers, it still is nice to see some respect shoved our way after all the off-season turmoil. Even though this means NOTHING, still brings a slight smile to my face with a little bit of wierd chills since we aren't used to getting that kind of respect. My pick for the season was for GB to win it all.. HMM.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Pittsburgh43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16073
Default Re: SI picks Steelers to win it all in 2010

King was just on PTI 2 seconds ago saying the same stuff and how he thinks Mike Wallace is going to be a great football player.

Pittsburgh43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

If our D plays close to what they were in 08....we have as good a chance as any other team

Our D and Run Game have to carry us until we get Ben back and up to speed

As for King...the guy picked the Bears last year

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,014 Times in 3,427 Posts

so much for being under the radar.

king said on sirius that he really started thinking they were a SB quality team after his visit to latrobe on his camp tour-

Quote:
In Latrobe, Pa., on the campus of St. Vincent College. If you've read my postcards in the past few years from here, you know I love the place. It's the perfect training-camp setting, looking out over the rolling hills of the Laurel Highlands in west-central Pennsylvania, an hour east of Pittsburgh. On a misty or foggy morning, standing atop the hill at the college, you feel like you're in Scotland. The Arnold Palmer regional airport is across the state highway from the school. Classic, wonderful slice of Americana. If you can visit one training camp, this is the one to see.

Three Observations
1. The Steelers are one of the most compelling teams in football less than a month before the start of the season. Will Ben Roethlisberger reform his life? Will Mike Tomlin choose Byron Leftwich or Dennis Dixon or some combination to replace Roethlisberger for the four or six weeks he'll be out of action, serving his league suspension? Is Mike Wallace good enough to step into the starting lineup for banished Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes? Can a defense that played -- in Steeler terms -- mortally, allowing 20 or more points nine times last year, right itself? Can Aaron Smith return to Peter King all-decade-defensive-end status after missing 2009 with an injury? (A little self-promotional drama there.) But you get the point. Lots of questions around here this summer.

2. Two Benedictine monks from the St. Vincent Archabbey watched practice this afternoon. Common sight here, always, the monks in their long, flowing robes, despite the heat, with sandals. They walk over to the practice fields from the seminary or the beautiful basilica. To me, walking around this place is one of the great traditions of the NFL camp tour.

3. Troy Polamalu ran around on a fairly non-contact day looking healthy and back to normal after a left knee injury robbed him of the final three months of last season. Without him, as you know, the Steeler D is diminished not only on the back end but also in the rush and intermediate coverage areas. Time will tell. In the 11 games he missed last year, the Steelers allowed an average of 10 more points per game than in the five in which he played.

Maurkice Pouncey, the first-round center from Florida, is interesting for many reasons, not the least of which is the Steelers believe they didn't draft only a center in April. They think they drafted a center, guard and tackle, a kid who can play all five positions on the line. Can he? It seems preposterous to think a college center could play left tackle?

Tunch Ilkin, the former Steeler offensive lineman and current color man on the radio network, thinks it's possible. Standing on the sidelines and watching practice with Ilkin and his radio partner, Craig Wolfley, I got the feeling they were the co-presidents of the Pouncey Fan Club. "So quick,'' Ilkin said. And watching the workout -- he took some of the first-team snaps while incumbent Justin Hartwig handled the rest -- I could see the excellent lateral movement.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0yJy2YbsQ
alot more great stuff in the article including for the first time in like ever, ben wasnt being a complete dick to reporters.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,365 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
As for King...the guy picked the Bears last year
EXACTLY. Still, pretty cool kudos for a fan to see, esp since our nauseating off-season.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

shit. i hate when people pick us to do well
Old 08-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

My football mind says no.....My heart says i sure hope so!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Remember 05 my friends, they said it couldnt be done!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Hope everyone here remembers this when people start playing up the underdog status with "nobody believed in us" blah blah blah blah
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
MaidenIndiana
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10557
My Mood: Twisted

If SI is picking us to win the Super Bowl then we're screwed!
MaidenIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote