Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Steelers Atmosphere

Has anyone been around the Steelers atmosphere? Is it similar to the Jet's Hard Knocks or are we more classy?

After watching and seeing past seasons with the Cowboys and Cheifs, I doubt I would ever want to put up with the degrading way they treat players.

They treat them like begging kids.

IDK. I guess some of them get respect...like Sanchez and Holmes.

I guess they are used to being talked down to since in college they WERE kids.

I don't know how someone learns to behave like a pro when you treat them like dirt.

I hope the Steelers organization is a lot better. Tomlin seems to talk well of guys and seems more respectful so maybe it is.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080
Default Re: Steelers Atmosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Has anyone been around the Steelers atmosphere? Is it similar to the Jet's Hard Knocks or are we more classy?

After watching and seeing past seasons with the Cowboys and Cheifs, I doubt I would ever want to put up with the degrading way they treat players.

I don't know how someone learns to behave like a pro when you treat them like dirt.

I hope the Steelers organization is a lot better. Tomlin seems to talk well of guys and seems more respectful so maybe it is.

You are one of those type of people that thinks everyone should get a trophy for "participation" huh?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

last week bill cowher was talking about how the steelers were approached to host "hard knocks" in '06. he said they refused, and would never invite that circus into town.

he said certain things need to remain "behind the scenes" in order to portray the NFL in the best light as possible.

i think tomlin and cowher are very similar in that regard (as well as the rooneys). while they wont hesitate to rip someone a new asshole, they prefer to do it behind closed doors.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post

I think teams reflect the personality of their leaders and I would like to think that with the Rooneys and Tomlin - the Steelers are classier.

One proof of this is how the players talk about their experiences as a Steeler. From Byron Leftwich, Leon Searcy, Sean Morey and others - they have described being a Steeler as football heaven. Why? It seems that they truly believed that the ownership / leadership cared about them and that the other players (while competing for roster spots) cared about each other. Bettis specifically mentions how no one taught him anything on the Rams but found the Steelers to be different.

Yes, I believe that we are classier. Plus - one can easily see how Rex Ryan can trash a place just by being there. His act will get old really quick once they start losing.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

Im sure the Steelers are much classier than the teams on Hard Knocks and would never do Hard Knocks.

That said, it saddens me they will never do Hard Knocks because I would love to watch a Steelers version of that show.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
You are one of those type of people that thinks everyone should get a trophy for "participation" huh?
I just feel like it is OK to treat college kids like crap...after all, they are still kids and not pros. I even feel like it is OK to treat rookies like that.

It gets to a point where the way they are treating them is so degrading that it gets at your dignity.

They seem to treat their important players better...like Holmes, Sanchez, etc. so I guess you can play your way to respect.

Those assistant coaches seem to be on a power trip.

I think there is a way you can treat people with more respect. They are human beings...not thoroughbred horses.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
last week bill cowher was talking about how the steelers were approached to host "hard knocks" in '06. he said they refused, and would never invite that circus into town.

he said certain things need to remain "behind the scenes" in order to portray the NFL in the best light as possible.

i think tomlin and cowher are very similar in that regard (as well as the rooneys). while they wont hesitate to rip someone a new asshole, they prefer to do it behind closed doors.
I don't sense a sense of family with the Jets (or Cowbows). With the Steelers, you like to think it is there. I know for a fact the Steelers treat their veteran starters with respect. i just don't know how they treat their rookies and younger veterans.

I guess it's tough to have a job where a boss can get mad at you when things don't go perfectly. I'd rather be a coach than a player. lol
Old 08-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

The way I see it is HBO is trying to make "good" t.v. More people are going to tune into a guy getting his ass chewed out than a guy getting a pat on the back. I don't think you are getting nearly the whole experience at the Jet's training camp. Only what the HBO producers want you to see. Think about it, they take about a weeks worth of footage and condense it down into an hour long program. You ahve to be missing alot.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
I think teams reflect the personality of their leaders and I would like to think that with the Rooneys and Tomlin - the Steelers are classier.

One proof of this is how the players talk about their experiences as a Steeler. From Byron Leftwich, Leon Searcy, Sean Morey and others - they have described being a Steeler as football heaven. Why? It seems that they truly believed that the ownership / leadership cared about them and that the other players (while competing for roster spots) cared about each other. Bettis specifically mentions how no one taught him anything on the Rams but found the Steelers to be different.

Yes, I believe that we are classier. Plus - one can easily see how Rex Ryan can trash a place just by being there. His act will get old really quick once they start losing.
Yeah..good point. Tomlin studied under Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith. Lovie Smith was so kind to Rex Grossman even when he was stinking it up. One reason I never liked Parcels is he would throw his players under the bus.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
The way I see it is HBO is trying to make "good" t.v. More people are going to tune into a guy getting his ass chewed out than a guy getting a pat on the back. I don't think you are getting nearly the whole experience at the Jet's training camp. Only what the HBO producers want you to see. Think about it, they take about a weeks worth of footage and condense it down into an hour long program. You ahve to be missing alot.
Good point. I guess the title "Hard Knocks" wouldn't fit if they showed too much nice stuff.

The other thing also is maybe they are being rude to the people trying to make their team. Maybe once you make the team, they consider you a true Jet and treat you with more respect.