Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,827 Times in 2,092 Posts
Default Ben reps will ask Goodell to reduce by atleast 3 games

as per espn. good luck.

Quote:

Ken_Laird RT @espn Sources: Ben Roethlisberger to ask #NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to reduce suspension - http://es.pn/aPcKiO #steelers
4 minutes ago via TweetDeck
Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,119 Posts
Default Roethlisberger wants shorter ban

Sources: Steelers QB wants shorter ban

Quote:
By Sal Paolantonio
ESPN
Archive
In Friday's meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Ben Roethlisberger's representatives plan to ask the commissioner to reduce the six-game suspension by at least three games, bringing along team president Arthur J. Rooney II to the New York meeting to support the quarterback's case, sources with knowledge of upcoming proceedings told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

Roethlisberger was suspended in April for six games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy a week after prosecutors decided not charge him in a case involving a 20-year-old college student who accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub in March.

At the time, Goodell pledged to consider reducing the length of the suspension if Roethlisberger complied with a number of league imposed conditions, including a comprehensive behavioral evaluation, and stayed clear of any other off field problems.

Most observers believe Goodell has had in his mind all along to reduce the suspension by two games to four. But Roethlisberger's attorney, David Cornwell, is expected to ask for a greater reduction in the suspension, according to those with knowledge of discussions between the commissioners office and the quarterback's representatives.

Some in the Roethlisberger camp have argued since Roethlisberger is the first player suspended by Goodell under the personal conduct policy who has not been arrested, charged with or convicted of a crime, he should not be suspended more than two games. His camp has always considered the six game suspension too harsh. But few believe Goodell will go that far, and some in the Roethlisberger camp do not want to anger the commissioner by asking for too much.

Goodell wrote to Roethlisberger in April: "The Personal Conduct Policy makes clear that I may impose discipline 'even where the conduct does not result in conviction of a crime' as, for example, where the conduct 'imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person' ....or conduct that 'undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL.' "

At the time of the suspension, Rooney released a statement agreeing with and supporting the Goodell's ruling. It's not known what role Rooney will play during Friday's meeting between the commissioner and Roethlisberger.

If the suspension is reduced to four games, as expected, Roethlisberger would presumably spend the Steelers bye in Week 5 getting ready to start at home against the Cleveland Browns in Week 6 -- giving him two weeks of preparation for his first game back.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,827 Times in 2,092 Posts
Default Re: Roethlisberger wants shorter ban

jinx... you owe me a coke.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Good luck Ben

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,119 Posts

Damn you beat me by one minute.

I'll merge them.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

Bout damn time!

Ambassador Rooney, get in there and kick some ass!
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,671 Times in 1,155 Posts
Default Re: Ben reps will ask Goodell to reduce by atleast 3 games

it'll never happen. godell didn't leave the door open, to reduce below 4. besides...the rooneys lobbied for the harsh penalty...some posters have said so ...
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,014 Times in 425 Posts

It won't hurt to try.

Hell, by this point, I don't see why not since Goodell is holding possibly one of the worst double standard rules attended to certain players this season that it's beyond laughable.

It's okay for Michael Vick to be involved in a shooting with ties to a birthday night club, countless numbers of DUI's being let slide by multiple players within the same organization, Pro athletes like Vince Young caught on tape for beating a fan & letting other players slide, like Santonio Holmes, who violated the NFL policy but yet gets to practice with teammates, gets to watch game film and train on the facility while a player like Roethlisberger, who wasn't arrested or convicted by allegations, isn't allowed to have such privileges. Goodell is ****ing up the whole entire system into a laughing stock.

That would be sweet if Ben gets 3, just in time to spank the Ravens in a big divisional game. I still think it'll be 4 though.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I'll be shocked if it goes to 3. Love it to happen though.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
It won't hurt to try.

Hell, by this point, I don't see why not since Goodell is holding possibly one of the worst double standard rules attended to certain players this season that it's beyond laughable.

It's okay for Michael Vick to be involved in a shooting with ties to a birthday night club, countless numbers of DUI's being let slide by multiple players within the same organization, Pro athletes like Vince Young caught on tape for beating a fan & letting other players slide, like Santonio Holmes, who violated the NFL policy but yet gets to practice with teammates, gets to watch game film and train on the facility while a player like Roethlisberger, who wasn't arrested or convicted by allegations, isn't allowed to have such privileges. Goodell is ****ing up the whole entire system into a laughing stock.

That would be sweet if Ben gets 3, just in time to spank the Ravens in a big divisional game. I still think it'll be 4 though.
That list goes on and on with all the other players not mentioned. Speaking of DUI, didnt cedric benson get another one?

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote