Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 09-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default So all the sacks are Ben's fault?

Gee I don't know, after watching Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon, and CharlieBatch being flushed from the pocket prematurely on nearly every passing play these past 4 games I get the sense it might have more to do with our shitty offensive line. I mean seriously, what percentage of designed pass plays do you see where the Steelers quarterback can stand comfortably in the pocket and advance past his first or second progression? It's scary to think how good, no make that how much greater Ben would be if he played behind an average offensive line.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
zulater
Team Owner

Default Re: So all the sacks are Ben's fault?

I think if one thing became obvious this preseason is that the oft repeated theory that the Steelers pass protection problems stem back to Ben's inability to make quick decisions with the ball took one major shot in the ass. I think that will continue to be painfully obvious through the first month of the season. So take your choice the problem is either bad offensive line personell or bad schemes, or some combination of the two, but it's becoming more and more obvious that it's not quarterback related. It's a tribute to Ben that his savviness in the pocket allows him to get to his second and third read as often as he does. I doubt there's another qb in the league that could play at an elite level behind the offensive line the Steelers have.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
joeyssteelcurtain
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11092

I do think Ben would put up better numbers with a good o Line but i also think that ben does his best when the play breaks down and he improvizes and makes a big play down field Like the holmes play in the afc champ game

"I'm BLACK and GOLD until I'm dead and cold"
joeyssteelcurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Steelers pass protection problems stem back to Ben's inability to make quick decisions with the ball
i tend to agree. i hear about how he doesnt want to give up on plays, well sometimes that is the only option. the you go back to the drawing board and start again. most of the sacks i believe are ben's fault.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
i tend to agree. i hear about how he doesnt want to give up on plays, well sometimes that is the only option. the you go back to the drawing board and start again. most of the sacks i believe are ben's fault.
For every sack Ben is responsible for, there''s at least one that he'll prevent with his strength, wherewithal and elusivenes.

No one, I repeat no one could play an entire season behind our o-line and not get sacked 40+ times.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Downbylaw
Banned

Member Number: 16635

Dixon or Batch wont have sack issues. Just like they didnt in the Pre season. Only one who did was Ben. Not even Leftwich. They get rid of the ball. Did you see Ben last night? Did you see Leftwich? He ran from the pressure and threw it out of bounds (no sack). The only qb on our team with a sack problem is Ben and it wont return (sack problem) until he does.
Downbylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
For every sack Ben is responsible for, there''s at least one that he'll prevent with his strength, wherewithal and elusivenes.

No one, I repeat no one could play an entire season behind our o-line and not get sacked 40+ times.

Yes some other QB's could play with this line and not get sacked 40 times. Ben is a QB that will work a receiver open at times by holding on the the ball and the Steelers more often than others we benefit from that. The down side is he will get sacked more. Most lines if they give you 3-4 seconds has done a good job.

Our line has to hold blocks 5-6 seconds or more at times. While our O-line is not Stellar at that moment it is not the worst. With Pouncey at center our protection will be better and running the ball will be more effective.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Ben keeps plays alive. Plain and simple. If Arians wasn't such a moron and would show some creativity in the passing routes his WRs run, Ben could get the ball out quicker. But the other team sits on the routes because they know exactly what Arians is calling. The receivers constantly run routes too far downfield and run the exact same routes over and over and over ad nauseum. The combination of a horrendous O-line and Arian's stupid game planning lead to most of the sacks. Ben has no place to throw the ball because the receivers are not getting open. Sorry, but that is on the offensive game plan.

Obviously this is my opinion and you are certainly allowed to voice yours. I just don't happen to agree with your train of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
Downbylaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Ben keeps plays alive. Plain and simple. If Arians wasn't such a moron and would show some creativity in the passing routes his WRs run, Ben could get the ball out quicker. But the other team sits on the routes because they know exactly what Arians is calling. The receivers constantly run routes too far downfield and run the exact same routes over and over and over ad nauseum. The combination of a horrendous O-line and Arian's stupid game planning lead to most of the sacks. Ben has no place to throw the ball because the receivers are not getting open. Sorry, but that is on the offensive game plan.

Obviously this is my opinion and you are certainly allowed to voice yours. I just don't happen to agree with your train of thought.
How come when Ben is out we dont have a sack problem? Same OC, Same line, Same receivers just a different qb. Batch at Baltimore threw 31 times and wasnt sacked once. Dixon at Bmore, threw 26 times and wasnt sacked once. Ben vs the Skins was sacked galore, enter Leftwich and the sacks stop. Ben was harrassed galore vs the Browns (carried out on a gurney) enter Leftwich and the sacks stopped. Same with the Eagle game in 08. Leftwich comes in and the sacks stop (after Ben was sacked EIGHT times).
Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
Downbylaw
Banned

Ben is the qb. The Qb has the option to call a hot route. Why doesnt he?