Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Downbylaw
Banned

Member Number: 16635
Default RIGHT AGAIN.....LOOKS LIKE BATCH TO BE STARTER

Whats new? As soon as Leftwich went down I "reported" that I believe Batch would be the starter or inexperienced Dennis Dixon. It seems Ed Bouchette and Chris Mortenson agree. As I said before despite our recent injury, I wont back off of my earlier prediction of 4-0 or 3-1.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...sible-starter/
Old 09-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: RIGHT AGAIN.....LOOKS LIKE BATCH TO BE STARTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downbylaw View Post
Whats new? As soon as Leftwich went down I "reported" that I believe Batch would be the starter or inexperienced Dennis Dixon. It seems Ed Bouchette and Chris Mortenson agree. As I said before despite our recent injury, I wont back off of my earlier prediction of 4-0 or 3-1.

Florio also said Dixon might run Ben out of town and become the #1 QB in Pittsburgh. Almost laughable now.

I highly doubt Batch starts. Having a less mobile quarterback that's even more injury prone than Bob Sanders as your starter doesn't make sense. Tomlin also wouldn't have pulled Dixon so quickly in favor of Batch for an entire half on Thursday. The pecking order was Leftwich, Dixon and then Batch. China Doll doesn't jump from 3 to 1 because he knows how to hand off the ball.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
Downbylaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Florio also said Dixon might run Ben out of town and become the #1 QB in Pittsburgh. Almost laughable now.

I highly doubt Batch starts. Having a less mobile quarterback that's even more injury prone than Bob Sanders as your starter doesn't make sense. Tomlin also wouldn't have pulled Dixon so quickly in favor of Batch for an entire half on Thursday. The pecking order was Leftwich, Dixon and then Batch. China Doll doesn't jump from 3 to 1 because he knows how to hand off the ball.
The quote was from Bouchette and Mort not Florio. Batch will start because of his experience. Its the same reason Leftwich was going to start. That pecking order was interupted as soon as Leftwich was signed, so that tells you it means little. Batch will do well for us ESPECIALLY with our D. I'm just worried about the lack of zip on his ball but its the same thing with Dixon in the regard. I'd rather have a vet like Batch starting than a promising "green" Dixon anyday. The game is still too fast for Dixon.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downbylaw View Post

First off, this is all speculation. Water-cooler convo. Not one statement in that whole entire article is fact or speaks of truth. If anything is confirmed, I want you to find it Sherlock. If not, STFU about your dumba$$ ramblings about how you're right and realize your place here isn't above no other on this board.

Noone has no idea on how Tomlin is going to use his QB situation... TOMLIN himself doesn't even know who he's going to start. Your know it all nature is getting so lame that it doesn't make your d!ck any bigger than you might think. What you've been saying is no different than what anyone else is saying. All speculation and prediction, no fact.

I'm certainly more comfortable with Charlie in there in the first place and believe Chuck should have been in the mix since day 1. He's a consequent pro who knows how to come off the bench and translate his experience in managing the game better than any other backups on any kind of rosters around the league.

I believe we will be using both QB's in one form or another but givin the competition we've seen throughout, how can one go against Dennis Dixon when the competition screams Dixon VS Leftwhich. It's only common sense that Tomlin will start Dixon but Batch's percentage to win over the coaching staff just went up significantly. Good/Bad practices I'm sure will sway the descision between the two soon.

Last edited by StainlessStill; 09-04-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

What did Charlie do that makes you think he won the job? One good TD drive against the Broncos that was followed by a pick 6? Handing the ball off to Dwyer 20 times in a half? Batch is an emergency QB and that's all he'll ever be at this point of his career. At least with Dixon you have an upside. I'm no fan of Dixon but he gives us the best opportunity to win and I'm sure the coaching staff knows this.

Batch's 'experience' is null and void. His experience came on a run heavy play-action offense. That's where he excelled. It's not 2005 anymore. As soon as Arians took over that was thrown to shit. Batch is not even an average backup anymore.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
At least with Dixon you have an upside.

Batch's 'experience' is null and void. His experience came on a run heavy play-action offense. That's where he excelled. It's not 2005 anymore. As soon as Arians took over that was thrown to shit. .
Quote:
What did Charlie do that makes you think he won the job?
I don't think anyone won the job. I think this week of practice will determine who will be chosen simply by the fact of who performs best with the flow of the starting units.

Quote:
One good TD drive against the Broncos that was followed by a pick 6
Charlie was the best QB to look that night in Denver, only because he knows this offense and has had it wrapped around his finger throughout the years of playing under the system as being around and offering up coaching advice to Ben over the years. We know what we have in Batch, who has come in before and performed extremely well, as Dixon showed inconsistencies and inexperienced mistakes in that Denver game as well as last years away game at Baltimore. That pick 6 wasn't Charlie's fault. That was Emmanuel Sanders , a rookie, obviously running the wrong route. Charlie should NOT be held accountable for that.
Quote:
I'm no fan of Dixon but he gives us the best opportunity to win and I'm sure the coaching staff knows this.
If they did know this, then Leftwhich wouldn't of been givin the reigns so early and we would of seen Dixon have more playing time with the starting units. Instead, it's already been 2 days since all of this happened and we still haven't heard anything about who's going to start the season. If Dixon gives us the best chance, then the coaching staff would have anointed the job to Dixon immediately. Obviously that isn't the case right now.

Quote:
Handing the ball off to Dwyer 20 times in a half? Batch is an emergency QB and that's all he'll ever be at this point of his career.
Our emergency QB is Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El. Remember now, the only reason why Batch was knocked down the depth chart was depths of injury, not because of poor play. If Batch doesn't get injured, I'm sure he would of been ranked as our #2 going into any season with the lines of competition still open to the roster.

The reason why Chuck handed the ball off was for security purpose's only since we were down to our last and final quarterback on the roster. Batch had no choice but at the same time, Tomlin had no choice but to use him in a way for him NOT get him injured and that was to not put Batch in a situation to have him in any drop backs.

Quote:
Batch is not even an average backup anymore
Judging by what? Charlie was the odd man out this season given the unfortunate QB rotation that we were forced to use. It's a numbers game. Now that he's back into the fold, you can't help but think that after how everything just went down, that you have to have an open mind into thinking that Batch could possibly be our best shot to manage the game to victory. The option HAS to be discussed.

Last edited by StainlessStill; 09-04-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
Downbylaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
First off, this is all speculation. Water-cooler convo. Not one statement in that whole entire article is fact or speaks of truth. If anything is confirmed, I want you to find it Sherlock. If not, STFU about your dumba$$ ramblings about how you're right and realize your place here isn't above no other on this board.

Noone has no idea on how Tomlin is going to use his QB situation... TOMLIN himself doesn't even know who he's going to start. Your know it all nature is getting so lame that it doesn't make your d!ck any bigger than you might think. What you've been saying is no different than what anyone else is saying. All speculation and prediction, no fact.

I'm certainly more comfortable with Charlie in there in the first place and believe Chuck should have been in the mix since day 1. He's a consequent pro who knows how to come off the bench and translate his experience in managing the game better than any other backups on any kind of rosters around the league.

I believe we will be using both QB's in one form or another but givin the competition we've seen throughout, how can one go against Dennis Dixon when the competition screams Dixon VS Leftwhich. It's only common sense that Tomlin will start Dixon but Batch's percentage to win over the coaching staff just went up significantly. Good/Bad practices I'm sure will sway the descision between the two soon.
We were going to use both qbs if Leftwich started so how is that a revelatiion? So what is your stance, dont ride the fence. Do you agree with me and precict Batch to start or Dixon. Its not a case of WHO we want to start or who will make mistakes etc. Its merely WHO you think will start. I made my prediction after I saw how Tomlin used the two after Lefty got hurt. I havent waivers since. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, so be it. My stance is still that Batch starts. Do you agree with me or no?
Old 09-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

You should read the title of the article you've posted before you go boasting that you were "right again" and that Batch is to be the starter. Nowhere does it say that. It says the word possible a lot, but it never once says definite.

With that said, as soon as Leftwich went down, I knew Batch stood a good chance of being the starter for many of the reasons already mentioned. I'm glad we have him as a veteran option. Even if Dixon does start the first game, and possibly blows it, I feel comfortable that Batch would be the QB behind him.

Don't "report" things that aren't true yet though, it'll make you look like a real dumbass if it ends up not being true.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 09-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Downbylaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
I don't think anyone won the job. I think this week of practice will determine who will be chosen simply by the fact of who performs best with the flow of the starting units.

Charlie was the best QB to look that night in Denver, only because he knows this offense and has had it wrapped around his finger throughout the years of playing under the system as being around and offering up coaching advice to Ben over the years. We know what we have in Batch, who has come in before and performed extremely well, as Dixon showed inconsistencies and inexperienced mistakes in that Denver game as well as last years away game at Baltimore. That pick 6 wasn't Charlie's fault. That was Emmanuel Sanders , a rookie, obviously running the wrong route. Charlie should NOT be held accountable for that.

If they did know this, then Leftwhich wouldn't of been givin the reigns so early and we would of seen Dixon have more playing time with the starting units. Instead, it's already been 2 days since all of this happened and we still haven't heard anything about who's going to start the season. If Dixon gives us the best chance, then the coaching staff would have anointed the job to Dixon immediately. Obviously that isn't the case right now.

Our emergency QB is Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El. Remember now, the only reason why Batch was knocked down the depth chart was depths of injury, not because of poor play. If Batch doesn't get injured, I'm sure he would of been ranked as our #2 going into any season with the lines of competition still open to the roster.

The reason why Chuck handed the ball off was for security purpose's only since we were down to our last and final quarterback on the roster. Batch had no choice but at the same time, Tomlin had no choice but to use him in a way for him NOT get him injured and that was to not put Batch in a situation to have him in any drop backs.

Judging by what? Charlie was the odd man out this season given the unfortunate QB rotation that we were forced to use. It's a numbers game. Now that he's back into the fold, you can't help but think that after how everything just went down, that you have to have an open mind into thinking that Batch could possibly be our best shot to manage the game to victory. The option HAS to be discussed.

By these arguments it seems he agrees with me. Sweet
To the other guy. Batch's pick was the result of a hot route. The receiver didnt get it apparently. Anytime you see a pass like that its usually a miscommunication.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
Downbylaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
You should read the title of the article you've posted before you go boasting that you were "right again" and that Batch is to be the starter. Nowhere does it say that. It says the word possible a lot, but it never once says definite.

With that said, as soon as Leftwich went down, I knew Batch stood a good chance of being the starter for many of the reasons already mentioned. I'm glad we have him as a veteran option. Even if Dixon does start the first game, and possibly blows it, I feel comfortable that Batch would be the QB behind him.

Don't "report" things that aren't true yet though, it'll make you look like a real dumbass if it ends up not being true.
I posted that Bouchette and Mort agree with me and they do. Tomlin will too. If he doesnt then feel free to let me have it. I can take it. Its just you guys who cant take my accuracy.
Closed Thread