Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default 2nd down

The Steelers run too much on second down and long (10 etc).

They know they will not get a first down so it guarantees an all or nothing 3rd down.

I know a third and short is more manageable but the wole thing just annoys me.

Surprisingly Ben came through on third down a lot last year but this year I think his back up won't come through. This means the Steelers will take perfectly good drives and ruin it with their predictable runs on second and predictable passes on third.

What do you guys think?
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
SteelKnight
Team President

Default Re: 2nd down

If the running is going great and you can get me 7 and make it 3rd and 3, I'll take it but if you can only get 2, I see no difference between 3rd and 8 and 3rd and 10...not much. I'd rather have 2 pass attempts.

I especially hate it when they got zero on first down running. So you want to run and get 1 or 2 on second down to force a 3rd and 8 where everyone knows you will be passing.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,014 Times in 425 Posts

I said in another thread that 2nd down is going to be the most important down to our football team, esp in the first 4. What I saw in the pre-season was a LOT of 3rd and 19's.. 3rd and 17's and 3rd and 15's.. hardly putting yourself in a position to succeed. Our ground game is going to have to put us in manageable 3rd and 3's rather than 3rd and 20's and all that success has to translate to having even more success on 2nd down.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
I said in another thread that 2nd down is going to be the most important down to our football team, esp in the first 4. What I saw in the pre-season was a LOT of 3rd and 19's.. 3rd and 17's and 3rd and 15's.. hardly putting yourself in a position to succeed. Our ground game is going to have to put us in manageable 3rd and 3's rather than 3rd and 20's and all that success has to translate to having even more success on 2nd down.
I agree.

Even 3rd and 10 sucks.

There were times when they were unsuccessful at first down so it was 2nd and 10 and they decided "The defense has been shutting down our run and probably thinks we are going to pass but so we'll run". Oops. Shut down and then 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9. At that point it might have been better to give Ben 2 tries. It will especially be important to give Dixon or Batch 2 tries.

They are not fooling anyone. They need to pick the best play that will get them the most yards on the next play and stop worrying about being unique to outsmart the defense. Instead, they are surprising their fans.

2nd and 1 should be a passing opportunity but with Batch an Dixon in it will be "Hey...let's run and get that first down." They should have a free play action pass and throw it away if needed. Then on 3rd and 1 they can run.

3rd and 3 will be scary this year. In the past, this would have been a pass. Now it may be a run. I just would hate to see good drives end on a stupid run. 3rd and 2, I'm comfortable with this year...but that 3? IDK.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Last year it seemed like they ran the ball on 3rd and 7. I can still remember screaming at the tv. Why the hell are u running it on 3rd and long.......

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,014 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
Last year it seemed like they ran the ball on 3rd and 7. I can still remember screaming at the tv. Why the hell are u running it on 3rd and long.......
I think our football season hit an ALL TIME LOW, out of ALL of the losing seasons (or years we missed the playoffs) we have EVER seen from our team the past several decades (which isn't many), with that Thursday Night game last year in Cleveland. I've never felt like 3rd and 1 to be so damn impossible that I held my breath and covered my face every time we were faced a 3rd and short... VERSUS CLEVELAND! We lost to a QB, Brady Quinn, by only completing 6 of his passes! Doesn't get worse than that, folks.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:28 AM   #7
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
I believe that. I think Arians (and Tomlin) think they are outsmarting the other side. They are surprising the fans but if the other side is stopping them, who cares whether they were surprised or not.

I can just hear them. "Oh...so they stopped us for a loss of 2 yards running on first down. I bet they think we will pass with 2nd and 12. They'll be so surprised. Oh...they stopped us for a gain of 1."
Old 09-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Well, I don't put much stock in what we saw in the preseason. They needed to observe certain individuals and they probably ran the ball in more situations in this preseason than you will see in the regular season. Remember, they aren't game-planning in the preseason.

But there will plenty of times we will be disappointed with the choice of run vs. pass calls on any particular play this year.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
Downbylaw
Banned

Member Number: 16635

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
The Steelers run too much on second down and long (10 etc).

They know they will not get a first down so it guarantees an all or nothing 3rd down.

I know a third and short is more manageable but the wole thing just annoys me.

Surprisingly Ben came through on third down a lot last year but this year I think his back up won't come through. This means the Steelers will take perfectly good drives and ruin it with their predictable runs on second and predictable passes on third.

What do you guys think?
In the games the Steelers lost, their offense only converted 26 percent of their fourth quarter third downs, versus 52 percent of the fourth quarter third downs in the games they won. In the losses to the Browns and Bengals, the Steelers' offense only had third down conversion rates of 20 and 21 percent for the whole game. That is too many three-and-outs to let your older defense get enough rest. That is why we had A LOT of 4th quarter meltdowns. Ben did not and does not historically come through on 3rd downs. His pct is below average for his career just as it was last year.

Medium 3rd down of 4-7 yards

Colts .578
Saints .565
Dolphins 538
Giants .514
Packers .545
Vikings .500
Titans .525
Texans .492
Chargers .489
Bengals .406
Steelers .385

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/6/2...wn-run-vs-pass
Downbylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
Well, I don't put much stock in what we saw in the preseason. They needed to observe certain individuals and they probably ran the ball in more situations in this preseason than you will see in the regular season. Remember, they aren't game-planning in the preseason.

But there will plenty of times we will be disappointed with the choice of run vs. pass calls on any particular play this year.
Yeah...I know but it just reminded me what they do in the regular season.