Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-11-2006, 03:27 AM   #21
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: Nance wants Miami reunion

i ain't saying he's gonna flop, or busting a nut everytime i see something negative about him, i'm just saying i don't like any linemen in the first round, so there's no knee-jerk retaliation here. i'd say the same shit if D'Brickashaw Ferguson fell to us. and i don't care which linemen we drafted in the first round in the past so no need to bring that up
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #22
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

If D'Brickashaw is there at 32, I'm throwing a party, and you're all invited...the beers on me!
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #23
Koopa
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
so then in your opinion,offensive linemen have nothing to do with the success of the offense? the draft is all a crap shoot. you can get a troy edwards in the first round,or an allen faneca. no player comes with gaurantees.
i didn't say anything about them having nothing to do with success of the offense. i just don't like it, that's it, you don't have to read so much into it, it's plain and simple i don't like linemen in the first round.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #24
tootalltoscore
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 358

I realize we need a WR, but I have to say that we should take Mangold in the first, long-term he will be our center for the next 10 years, IMHO he would be too good to pass up IF still there at 32. Let me pass on a comment from another respected source about Mangold:

Strengths

Slick Nick is the best center in this draft. He has excellent strength and balance and can handle a nose guard right in his face one on one. He has very good feet and lateral movement; he can get to his second level blocks very well. Nick can easily play guard because he has the athleticism to be used to pull. He is a leader and is an extension of the coaches on the field. There is no doubt about this kid?s mental stamina or calling plays at the line. He is the real deal.

Needs to Improve

Nick?s biggest weakness is that he is being overlooked. He is an instant starter in the NFL.

Bottom Line

Draft Nick and forget about having to worry about the center position on your team for the next ten years. Nick can handle all the blocking assignments that are required of him in both the passing and running game for either the guard or center position. Nick is the best center in this draft because he can handle by himself a 340 lb DT right in his face all day long and come out the winner. He has proven it to me. Everytime he has come up against Marshmallow Man (Gabe Watson DT Michigan), he has beat him like a drum. I have watched Nick move and control Gabe all around the field like a brother dancing with his sister at her 13th birthday party to make sure the 18 yr old boys don?t get a hold of her. He is an excellent technician and I never see him over-extending to make a block. Nick has first round talent. I believe he should be picked before some of the higher rated OT?s in this draft, but he probably won?t be. If I?m drafting in the first round and I?m a playoff team, I definitely look hard at taking an O-lineman like Nick that you can plug into your line right away. I remember last year when the Patriots took Logan (Instant) Mankins as the 32nd pick and I don?t think anyone can complain about that pick. Well, Slick Nick falls into that same category. He?s not a shiny, fancy car, but he does have four wheel drive and he?ll keep your offense from getting bogged down.

My biggest worry is that he is no longer on the board at our pick
tootalltoscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #25
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

It's actually pretty cool that Mangold is so popular now, because I was WAY out front on this one, but, unfortunately, the Steelers have quite publicly stated that Chucky Okobi is the man when Hartings hangs it up...
Old 03-13-2006, 09:40 PM   #26
Koopa
Living Legend

why is it unfortunaly that okobi is the future? i never really pay attention to how the line is doing and all i know about him is he should never be in another commercial, big dude, girly voice isn't very good..........anyway, is he that bad?? or can he actually be good??
Old 03-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #27
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

That's just it...he's a huge question mark. But the Steelers have faith in him, so that's good enough for me...
Old 03-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,343 Times in 3,529 Posts

there are certain positions the steelers historically know better than most and dont fool around with. rb, c, and lb. if they thought c. okobi was an alonzo jackson type player he wouldve never lasted this long as a steeler. its not that he is a substandard player, he just so happens to back up a pro bowler who was supposed to retire several years back. if hartings did retire back then i bet it would be okolbi as one of the pro bowlers right about now. hes got a great coach in russ grimm.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:58 PM   #29
JerseySTEEL
Team Captain

Member Number: 284

With Nance having such a bad combine it will be easy for us to pick him up at our 64th pick in the 2nd round.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #30
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Not everyone feels that way:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/...tin_nance.html

Martin Nance WR 6’4 213 Miami(OH)
By: Robert Davis

NFL Combine Stats: 40-yard dash - 4.58

When people started to take notice of Ben Roethlisberger his junior year, people had no choice but to notice Big Ben’s top target, sophomore Martin Nance. He absolutely exploded onto the college football map that year with 90 catches for 1,498 yards and 11 touchdowns. As a junior, he was off to another fast start. In the first four games of the 2004 season, Nance had 25 catches for 337 yards, and a touchdown. On the first play of the 5th game that season however, Nance injured his knee and missed the rest of the season. He came back this season looking to re-establish himself. Nance did just that, finishing with 81 receptions, 1,107 yards, for 14 touchdowns.

Martin Nance is a flat out playmaker. At 6’5, with great athleticism, and jumping ability, he is nearly unstoppable in one on one situations. He’s not just big though, he has good straight-line speed. He can get deep, and make plays vertically. Some people questioned if his success in 2003 was due to Roethlisberger, but he showed early on in 2004, and has shown again this year that he is a talent.

Even though he is showing he is back from the knee injury in 2004, it is something teams will look into. Even though the MAC has gained some respect nationally, it still is not the most talented conference out there. With just over two years of experience on the field, he has not faced the most talented corners in college.

Nance fits the mold of the big, tall, athletic receiver teams have become enamored with lately. He has all the talent to develop in the NFL. Nance struggled at the combine, running a 4.58 40 and struggling to catch the ball in drills, and that hurt his stock. He should still hear his name called on the first day of the draft.

http://www.nfldraftforecast.com/Prof...tinnance.shtml

Martin Nance | #15
Wide Receiver - Miami (OH)
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 210

The more I watch Martin Nance play the better he seems to get. He has the almost ideal frame for an NFL wide receiver. He has big hands, long arms, and a tall and physical frame that teams love. He uses his physical features to his advantage, he is one of the best receivers in the draft from a physical standpoint. He has pretty decent athletic ability and can out-muscle people on jump ball opportunities which makes him an excellent target in the red zone. He can use his frame to make difficult catches and also has very reliable hands. I don't know if he is the quickest or fastest of receivers though, he seems to not run hard while he is running his routes. He also doesn't have the best burst from his initial start on the line of scrimmage. I think teams might be a little drawn away from Nance because his slight lack of NFL receiver speed, but overall I think he will end up being a fine player at the next level. Also, Nance has some question marks surrounding him with injury problems. I think Nance is a solid second round pick, but with a good combine and team workouts, he could sneak his way into the end of the first round.

Strengths:
• Has great physical features that really help his game
• Very reliable hands
• Has good athletic ability
• Good physical big target

Weaknesses:
• Doesn't quite have the speed or quickness teams like out of WRs
• Doesn't get a great burst off the LOS
• Has had injury concerns in the past

-Zach Asman

I've also heard that the Browns are very interested in him, and they'd be in a good position early Rd 2 to pick him up.