Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
cloppbeast
Team Captain
 
cloppbeast's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Waynesboro
Posts: 868
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Arians not letting Dixon run

I'm normally not one to criticize Arians, because I think he receives enough flack around this town. Overall, I think he's a decent offensive coordinator. But his trying to force Dixon to be a pocket passer is kind of crazy. He's trying to fit the square peg into the round hole.

He designed this offense around the unique skill set of his players, namely Ben Roethlisberger. But, Dixon can not do all the things Ben can do, and vise-versa. Dixon may not be able to stand in the pocket and deliver an accurate pass with defenders hanging on him, but he makes up for that with his unique scrambling ability. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Arians considers that a liability rather than an asset.

I would much rather Dixon run for five yards than throw and incomplete pass, or worse an interception. If Dixon doesn't feel confident making a certain throw, and he would rather run it, I say go for it. A few good runs will force the defense to adjust, with will open up passing lanes down the middle. This is the point I think Arians misses. I agree that Dixon will not be successful running on every other pass play, but the simple threat of a run will make the passing attack that much better. Defenses must do one of two things 1) take 1 or 2 linebackers who would normally be blitzing or in coverage and make them spy Dixon, or 2) have the defensive line play contain instead of rush. Either one of these adjustments would help the passing game.

I will admit that Dixon will struggle as a pure pocket passer, but it seems a huge waste to force that role on him. Why draft a guy who runs probably 4.4 or 4.5 and make him stand in the pocket?

If used correctly, I think Dixon would be a much better quarterback than Batch, but if they plan to use him as strictly a pocket passer, might as well go with Batch. Even the experience won't do Dixon any good, because he probably won't ever be a good pocket passer.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Downbylaw
Banned
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlantic City
Posts: 1,095
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16635
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Arians not letting Dixon run

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
I'm normally not one to criticize Arians, because I think he receives enough flack around this town. Overall, I think he's a decent offensive coordinator. But his trying to force Dixon to be a pocket passer is kind of crazy. He's trying to fit the square peg into the round hole.

He designed this offense around the unique skill set of his players, namely Ben Roethlisberger. But, Dixon can not do all the things Ben can do, and vise-versa. Dixon may not be able to stand in the pocket and deliver an accurate pass with defenders hanging on him, but he makes up for that with his unique scrambling ability. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Arians considers that a liability rather than an asset.

I would much rather Dixon run for five yards than throw and incomplete pass, or worse an interception. If Dixon doesn't feel confident making a certain throw, and he would rather run it, I say go for it. A few good runs will force the defense to adjust, with will open up passing lanes down the middle. This is the point I think Arians misses. I agree that Dixon will not be successful running on every other pass play, but the simple threat of a run will make the passing attack that much better. Defenses must do one of two things 1) take 1 or 2 linebackers who would normally be blitzing or in coverage and make them spy Dixon, or 2) have the defensive line play contain instead of rush. Either one of these adjustments would help the passing game.

I will admit that Dixon will struggle as a pure pocket passer, but it seems a huge waste to force that role on him. Why draft a guy who runs probably 4.4 or 4.5 and make him stand in the pocket?

If used correctly, I think Dixon would be a much better quarterback than Batch, but if they plan to use him as strictly a pocket passer, might as well go with Batch. Even the experience won't do Dixon any good, because he probably won't ever be a good pocket passer.
+1000
Case and point. We beat Baltimore last season IF Arians gets him on the move. Its the equivalent of telling Michael Jordan not to use his jumping ability. "Just shoot set shots Michael". Makes no sense
Downbylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10,359
Member Number: 763
Thanks: 53
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Arians not letting Dixon run

Arians should have been fired long ago - I think he's Ben's pet.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Orange
Water Boy
 
Orange's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 19
Member Number: 16628
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Arians not letting Dixon run

I agree, but if I remember correctly Arians has said he doesn't want him to run so much because he thinks he will get broken in half.

I think that's half true but he has shown he has some ability to know when to get out of bounds or down to the ground. I think if anything he's going to end up getting hurt while he's standing in the pocket with his eyes down-field.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
cloppbeast
Team Captain
 
cloppbeast's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Waynesboro
Posts: 868
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Arians not letting Dixon run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
I think if anything he's going to end up getting hurt while he's standing in the pocket with his eyes down-field.
When a quarterback is running down field, he knows when he's going to get hit and can get his body ready for impact, slide, or go out of bounds. When a quarterback is in the pocket, often he is a sitting duck. Palmer, Brady, and most recently Leftwich were all standing in the pocket when they were significantly injured.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Arians not letting Dixon run

I could not agree more. Airhead Arians, the passing Nazi, will never accept that an offense has to be balanced. Tying to force someone like Dixon into being a pocket passer won't work but he doesn't care. What is really sad is that his pass happy offense does not produce more points than a balanced attack would. See the article. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=56662

Arians is the reason that I have little faith we will better than 8-8. I'm sure he will "throw" away games this year the same way he did last year.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Arians not letting Dixon run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Arians should have been fired long ago - I think he's Ben's pet.
:
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter
 
pete74's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,278
Member Number: 15921
Thanks: 93
Thanked 425 Times in 224 Posts
Default Re: Arians not letting Dixon run

i agree 100% with you. if dixon cant play his game then he will be horrible and there is no point to playing him
__________________
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter
 
stb_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 3,567
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14315
Thanks: 173
Thanked 313 Times in 183 Posts
Default Re: Arians not letting Dixon run

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
I could not agree more. Airhead Arians, the passing Nazi, will never accept that an offense has to be balanced. Tying to force someone like Dixon into being a pocket passer won't work but he doesn't care. What is really sad is that his pass happy offense does not produce more points than a balanced attack would. See the article. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=56662

Arians is the reason that I have little faith we will better than 8-8. I'm sure he will "throw" away games this year the same way he did last year.
And that is why we continue to struggle in the redzone.
__________________

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter
 
StainlessStill's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,498
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12999
Thanks: 483
Thanked 1,248 Times in 522 Posts
Default Re: Arians not letting Dixon run

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
When a quarterback is running down field, he knows when he's going to get hit and can get his body ready for impact, slide, or go out of bounds. When a quarterback is in the pocket, often he is a sitting duck. Palmer, Brady, and most recently Leftwich were all standing in the pocket when they were significantly injured.
Tell that to Troy Aikman, John Elway or recently, Pat White who got his BLOCK knocked off last season. Or, Michael Vick who snapped his leg in two some pre-seasons ago. Quarterbacks career's are ended more times than none because of taking severe hits to the head while scrambling and out of the pocket and/or running for their lives.
__________________
"I believe the game is designed to reward the one's who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!" -Jack Lambert
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts