Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124
Default Re: Arians not letting Dixon run

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Tell that to Troy Aikman, John Elway or recently, Pat White who got his BLOCK knocked off last season. Or, Michael Vick who snapped his leg in two some pre-seasons ago. Quarterbacks career's are ended more times than none because of taking severe hits to the head while scrambling and out of the pocket and/or running for their lives.
I really have no idea why Troy Aikman or John Elway are doing in this discussion. Are you saying either one of them are running quarterbacks, or are you saying they never got hurt?

You and I can come up with a laundry list of quarterback injuries that come as the result of standing in the pocket or scrambling, and it wouldn't prove anything, but your examples aren't very good. I believe Michael Vick broke his leg while he was in the back field. He was evading a defender to throw it down field, the same thing Ben does one basically every play.

Pat White? C'mon dude. His injury was the result of stupidity. Pat White is about 6', 200 lbs, and he tries to put his head down? Of course he's going to get knocked out. Dixon will never do anything that stupid, he would have done the smart thing and just ran out of bounds.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
Downbylaw
Banned

Member Number: 16635

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
And that is why we continue to struggle in the redzone.
We struggled in the redzone when Wiz was here as well. Its not Arians or Wiz, its Ben.
Downbylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
I could not agree more. Airhead Arians, the passing Nazi, will never accept that an offense has to be balanced. Tying to force someone like Dixon into being a pocket passer won't work but he doesn't care. What is really sad is that his pass happy offense does not produce more points than a balanced attack would. See the article. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=56662

Arians is the reason that I have little faith we will better than 8-8. I'm sure he will "throw" away games this year the same way he did last year.
I really don't have the same problem with the pass-happy offense as most others in Pittsburgh. I believe Arians has done pretty well with this offense and has used his personnel very well. I wish he'd run a little bit more with the lead, but overall, I don't have a problem passing a lot. The game has changed, it's the 21st century. As Jaws always says, "Points are scored through the passing game".

The Colts and Saints weren't in the Superbowl last year because they could run the ball really well. Their respective offenses weren't built to pass the ball, but could run successfully in certain situations when it was needed. But, make no mistake about it, they were passing teams.

With Arian's emphasis on the pass, though, I wish he would still realize what he has in Dixon's legs. Even if Dixon only scrambles on 4-6 plays a game, that will still forces the opposing defense to adjust - which will in turn help the passing game. If passing the ball is what Arians wants to do, then let Dixon run.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
Downbylaw
Banned

Agreed 100%
Old 09-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Yes I agree that Arians should be smart enough to build an offensive plan around Dixon's abilities and create more problems for other teams rather than trying to mold him into someone that maybe takes away one of his best attributes like scrambling.

If this is the main reason Dixon is not starting Arians should think about retiring because you need to be able to scheme around the strengths of your players and not mold them into what you think they should be.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
I really have no idea why Troy Aikman or John Elway are doing in this discussion. Are you saying either one of them are running quarterbacks, or are you saying they never got hurt?

You and I can come up with a laundry list of quarterback injuries that come as the result of standing in the pocket or scrambling, and it wouldn't prove anything, but your examples aren't very good. I believe Michael Vick broke his leg while he was in the back field. He was evading a defender to throw it down field, the same thing Ben does one basically every play.

Pat White? C'mon dude. His injury was the result of stupidity. Pat White is about 6', 200 lbs, and he tries to put his head down? Of course he's going to get knocked out. Dixon will never do anything that stupid, he would have done the smart thing and just ran out of bounds.
Quote:
When a quarterback is running down field, he knows when he's going to get hit and can get his body ready for impact, slide, or go out of bounds. When a quarterback is in the pocket, often he is a sitting duck. Palmer, Brady, and most recently Leftwich were all standing in the pocket when they were significantly injured.
It sounds to me that you're coming to the defense's of quarterback's who are smart enough and has the awareness out of the pocket to do what is necc. to avoid injury when that certainly isn't the case. You bring up that it was Brady and Leftwhich that were injured in the pocket to verify your argument for giving Dixon the right to unleash downfield.

I'm simply stating that in Arians defense that your theory isn't always the case and THESE are the reasons why Arians isn't going to put his lanky, 190 pound QB in harms way to develop a whole offensive playbook to let him take off down field. My point in naming those QB's came at the expense that once a QB takes off, more times than none, the percentage of injury to a QB severely sky rockets.

Quote:
Dixon will never do anything that stupid, he would have done the smart thing and just ran out of bounds.
How do you know this and whose to say? All speculation. Qb's, esp young ones trying to impress & will do anything in their power to prove they are tough and have what it takes to make it in the NFL and show their coaches and the entire league that they have what it takes. Don't think for a second that Dixon, atleast one time if we will see him, go for that extra yard while Bruce Arians and Mike Tomlin cringe in the process.

. Troy Aikmen's career ending injury and a reason why Arian's and company would NOT want Dixon to take off out of the pocket every play.

As for Michael Vick, I remember watching that game. He was well upfield and chased out of the pocket when he was tackled in the middle of the field during a scramble, snapping his fibula.( http://www.redorbit.com/news/general...leg/index.html)

Look no further than our own team several years ago. Charlie Batch showed his toughness and lowered his shoulders to a defensive player delivering a blow. Result? Broken collar bone.

Look at Tim Tebow just weeks ago. He made the careless mistake to lower his shoulders and took a hit STRAIGHT on into the endzone, only to collapse his ribs in the process. These are only the few solid reasons why Arians doesn't want his QB running down field like a chicken with his head cut off. I think it's blatantly clear as to why the Steelers won't let him run around relentlessly back there and for GOOD REASON for the simple fact that this isn't the time to elevate the risk of injury as much as it already is by carelessly letting him run against defense that are there to maim. Of course, Dixon will take off, that's blatant, but he's also going to have to be mature enough to hang in there and let awareness of he pocket take over as well and that's the safer bet.

Last edited by StainlessStill; 09-06-2010 at 01:39 PM.
StainlessStill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #17
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Quote:
. Troy Aikmen's career ending injury and a reason why Arian's and company would NOT want Dixon to take off out of the pocket every play.

Aikmen wasn't running down field, he was flushed from the pocket. Every quarterback does this from time to time - even pocket passers. I don't think anyone would argue a quarterback shouldn't run from a guy who is trying to tackle him.

I'm talking about a quarterback running the ball down field after a play breaks down.

Quote:
As for Michael Vick, I remember watching that game. He was well upfield and chased out of the pocket when he was tackled in the middle of the field during a scramble, snapping his fibula.( http://www.redorbit.com/news/general...leg/index.html)
Your URL doesn't indicate what Vick was doing when he was injured. It only says, "On third-and-6 from the Atlanta 5 late in the first quarter, Vick was chased out of the pocket and was tackled by Adalius Thomas". 'Chased out of the pocket' doesn't necessarily mean he was running down field, it could mean he was running laterally to the line of scrimmage, just like Aikmen. I remember Vick being in the backfield when it happened, but I could be wrong, just as you could be wrong.

Quote:
Look at Tim Tebow just weeks ago. He made the careless mistake to lower his shoulders and took a hit STRAIGHT on into the endzone, only to collapse his ribs in the process. These are only thew reasons why Arians doesn't want his QB running down field like a chicken with his head cut off. I think it's blatantly clear as to why the Steelers won't let him run around relentlessly back there and for GOOD REASON for the simple fact that this isn't the time to elevate the risk of injury as much as it already is.
If those are Arians reasons, they're at least respectable. But I do think it's ironic that he'll never change the offense to prevent Ben from getting sacked 50+ times a year.

If I were Arians, I wouldn't want Dixon running every play, but I would still encourage him to run when the play breaks down. I would definitely make sure he understood that he better get out of bounds or slide.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #18
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
Aikmen wasn't running down field, he was flushed from the pocket. Every quarterback does this from time to time - even pocket passers. I don't think anyone would argue a quarterback shouldn't run from a guy who is trying to tackle him.

I'm talking about a quarterback running the ball down field after a play breaks down.

Your URL doesn't indicate what Vick was doing when he was injured. It only says, "On third-and-6 from the Atlanta 5 late in the first quarter, Vick was chased out of the pocket and was tackled by Adalius Thomas". 'Chased out of the pocket' doesn't necessarily mean he was running down field, it could mean he was running laterally to the line of scrimmage, just like Aikmen. I remember Vick being in the backfield when it happened, but I could be wrong, just as you could be wrong.

If those are Arians reasons, they're at least respectable. But I do think it's ironic that he'll never change the offense to prevent Ben from getting sacked 50+ times a year.

If I were Arians, I wouldn't want Dixon running every play, but I would still encourage him to run when the play breaks down. I would definitely make sure he understood that he better get out of bounds or slide.
I'm atleast 100% confident that Vick injured his leg while taking off upfield. I've seen the video more times then 1 but can't find the video anymore. Nonetheless, that's not important.

When it boils down to it, I see why Arians doesn't want to expand his young QB's horizon into planting in his head that he could take off every play. Like we said, apart of Dixon's play is to get his legs movin' but that won't give him the kind of insurance he will need for all 4 qrts. He will eventually have to stay in the pocket, somewhere Arians wants him and is training him to be to be successful in this league.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #19
joeyssteelcurtain
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11092

The only way we are going to win with Dixon in there is if he runs first and pass 2nd

"I'm BLACK and GOLD until I'm dead and cold"
joeyssteelcurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:13 AM   #20
Downbylaw
Banned

Thats crazy. Guys act like Dixon cant pass. Dont be fooled. He is NO Kordell. This kid can pass, its just a mattter of getting comfortable on the field. And the game slowing down. When it does, LOOK OUT