Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #31
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts
Default Re: I Hate this time of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HburgXL06

PS: If I mistakenly came off as offensive it is by mistake. Just let me know if I was and I'll correct myself. I apologize if I did accidently say something of poor taste.

BuFu
no, not at all dude.

i have to admit i was mesmerised by belbin and agusto (sp) and her sheer beauty and the dynamic they shared on the ice. in nascar you really dont wish anyone to wreck but it is a little thrilling when it happens just like in skating you will tune in just to see if someone bites it. you feel sorry for them but it is exciting that a wreck or a bail could happen, so in that aspect they share a little similarity.

nascar has worked very hard to shed the good ol boy image it has always had. as far as diversity they are about 50 years behind baseball and basketball. magic johnson has become involved taking hundereds of inner city kids to the races in california. as you said JB wants to get involved as does tim brown. other footbal people who have been involved as owners are dan marino, jim kelly, terry bradshaw, troy aikman, and roger staubach. brett farve is interrested. big ben was the grand marshall (the dude who says "gentlemen, start your engines") at a busch race-nascars triple A- last year.
walter payton became a racecar driver after he retired from football.

alot of the drivers are former stand out atheletes in other areas.

sterling marlin- h.s. standout qb (huge vols fan)
brendan gaughan- team mate of allen iverson and the hoyas
dale jarrett- offered golf scholorship. probably coulda gone pro
mark martin has a 6 hour religious workout regimen that rivals most boxers
carl edwards is yoked and built like chipper jones
ryan newman is built like a smallish linebacker
elliot saddler- starred in 5 sports in h.s. and turned down many scholorships to race.

teams are now recruiting hs and college atheletes to be pit crew members.

the focus on atheleticism in the sport is akin to the revolution in baseball about 35 years ago when the players figured out that hitting the weightroom and being conditionned would give them a competitive edge.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:13 PM   #32
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

After further review and reading all the posts I have to say:

I HATE THIS TIME OF YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #33
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4

well i must say i am glad the steelers squeezed an extra 4 games out of a season that many thought would end with them sitting at home in january.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:04 PM   #34
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
no, not at all dude.

i have to admit i was mesmerised by belbin and agusto (sp) and her sheer beauty and the dynamic they shared on the ice. in nascar you really dont wish anyone to wreck but it is a little thrilling when it happens just like in skating you will tune in just to see if someone bites it. you feel sorry for them but it is exciting that a wreck or a bail could happen, so in that aspect they share a little similarity.

nascar has worked very hard to shed the good ol boy image it has always had. as far as diversity they are about 50 years behind baseball and basketball. magic johnson has become involved taking hundereds of inner city kids to the races in california. as you said JB wants to get involved as does tim brown. other footbal people who have been involved as owners are dan marino, jim kelly, terry bradshaw, troy aikman, and roger staubach. brett farve is interrested. big ben was the grand marshall (the dude who says "gentlemen, start your engines") at a busch race-nascars triple A- last year.
walter payton became a racecar driver after he retired from football.

alot of the drivers are former stand out atheletes in other areas.

sterling marlin- h.s. standout qb (huge vols fan)
brendan gaughan- team mate of allen iverson and the hoyas
dale jarrett- offered golf scholorship. probably coulda gone pro
mark martin has a 6 hour religious workout regimen that rivals most boxers
carl edwards is yoked and built like chipper jones
ryan newman is built like a smallish linebacker
elliot saddler- starred in 5 sports in h.s. and turned down many scholorships to race.

teams are now recruiting hs and college atheletes to be pit crew members.

the focus on atheleticism in the sport is akin to the revolution in baseball about 35 years ago when the players figured out that hitting the weightroom and being conditionned would give them a competitive edge.

Belbin and Agosto were a good dance team this year and were rewarded with the silver medal. To my knowledge that is the first US medal at the Olympics for ice dancing within the past two (or three) decades. I have noticed that NASCAR has become more mainstream in the recent years and that the main competition today is between drivers and not between auto manufacturers. Everyone tries to get a competitive edge and I'm sure that all the drivers (or at least the top ones) are very physically fit as any athlete is for their sport. This probably does give them a competitve edge (I've read of all sorts of tactics that have been used in all different areas of racing for an advantage. The two in NASCAR that I know of are when one team realized there was a restriction on the size of the fuel cell, but not on the size or length of hose in that connected the fuel cell to the fuel injection system on the engine. So they snaked the hose all around the car and gained an extra 11 gallons of fuel capacity. Another one was that the cars had to be a certain weight. So one team, to make the proper weight, filled the inside of the roll cage with birdshot that made the car heavier during weigh-in. Then once the race had started there was a quick release switch that emptied the birdshot from the tubes/rails of the rollcage at the beginning of the race. This was thought to be ok since it could never be traced as to how or where it was coming from. The problem came when before a race the team decided to wash the car which caused water to get inside the cage and rust the birdshot inside but still loose enought to somewhat slowly trickle out. It was said that when the driver returned to pit row it was like someone had fired a shotgun with all the metal flying around. My source just in case anyone thinks I'm bullshitting is from a Motor Trend article I read almost a year ago. I'd look up the magazine to be more accurate but my teacher took the magazine away from me in class because I was reading it haha.). Anyway I've diverged.

I can tell you from MUCH experience in my own everyday practicing that skaters fall a lot and it often hurts. You do get used to it to a certain extent and as weird as it sounds your body "learns" the "right" way to fall as to avoid too much pain. A lot of skaters also wear padding around their hips, tailbone, and sometimes their knees to avoid extensive stress taking a toll on their bodies. An example of the damage that can be done when not wearing pads: within a year of winning a gold medal in Nagano, Tara Lipinski had to have hip surgery to repair the extensive blunt trauma that her body had endured from falling continuously on her side while practicing her then famous triple loop-triple loop combination. Her left hip was just horribly bruised and battered from years of falling on it without wearing pads. I don't know if she had anything done on the right hip but if she did that can also be understood. The amount of pressure and strain put on the body in a triple jump is enormous. Since her trademark combination was a loop-loop combination (a loop jump takes off and lands on the same foot so essentially the skater takes off/lands/takes off/lands all in less than two seconds. You can understand then how that can break down all the joints and ligaments in the area. The muscles and joints have to create spring to accelerate into the air and then be able to absorb the force of falling almost 3 feet out of the air and then repeat the process in a very short amount of time. If I repeat myself I apologize. I'm just trying to explain the forces and altheticism that are needed to be a competitive skater. If I sound on a soap box I apologize I just have had to deal with many people over the years who do not see figure skating as a real sport. Being a skater I know what it does take and am even more amazed when I see other skaters doing the amazing performances. I've diverged too many times so far so I'll let it go for now. Peace.

BuFu
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #35
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Quote:

Which is why you entertain yourself by reading our posts on this forum. If you don't like what we talkin bout go somewhere else.

BuFu
Old 03-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #36
3 to be 4
Team Owner

i think i stayed in Newark,De on my way to SC. is there a comfort inn there next to a great diner??
Old 03-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #37
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Quote:
i think i stayed in Newark,De on my way to SC. is there a comfort inn there next to a great diner??
There's a Quality Inn right off I-95 that has the "1st State Diner" as its restaurant. When did you come through? I think it was a Comfort Inn before it was a Quality Inn. Just for reference the hotel I'm talking about was across from the Howard Johnson's and Friendly's. Newark, DE really isn't much besides a college town that gets a lot of income from the students at the university. It's a fun place if you attend school and know where to party here haha. Peace.

BuFu
Old 03-04-2006, 05:41 AM   #38
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Quote:
There's a Quality Inn right off I-95 that has the "1st State Diner" as its restaurant. When did you come through? I think it was a Comfort Inn before it was a Quality Inn. Just for reference the hotel I'm talking about was across from the Howard Johnson's and Friendly's. Newark, DE really isn't much besides a college town that gets a lot of income from the students at the university. It's a fun place if you attend school and know where to party here haha. Peace.

BuFu

THATS THE PLACE!!!!!! When we moved from Leominster,Ma to Florence,SC ( i kn ow i know, pretty dumb, but that is being rectified next week with a move to Olathe,KS), I took the U-haul on Christmas Day, 2004 and started driving. I made it as far as Newark,DE and had a nice restful nigh watching the KC-Oakland game, then eating at the 1st State Diner. I love places lioke that. the next morning I had a nice breakfast there and heard about a storm coming to Virginia and NC so i drove as far as i could the next day until i landed at some Hampton Inn in Virginia. the only place to watch the Patriots-Jets game was at the Hooters across the street. I love football so much I hardly noticed the.....oh never mind
Old 03-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #39
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Quote:
THATS THE PLACE!!!!!! When we moved from Leominster,Ma to Florence,SC ( i kn ow i know, pretty dumb, but that is being rectified next week with a move to Olathe,KS), I took the U-haul on Christmas Day, 2004 and started driving. I made it as far as Newark,DE and had a nice restful nigh watching the KC-Oakland game, then eating at the 1st State Diner. I love places lioke that. the next morning I had a nice breakfast there and heard about a storm coming to Virginia and NC so i drove as far as i could the next day until i landed at some Hampton Inn in Virginia. the only place to watch the Patriots-Jets game was at the Hooters across the street. I love football so much I hardly noticed the.....oh never mind
I love diners too. Back at home in Harrisburg, PA we spend a lot of bored time hanging around in diners. I ate at the 1st State Diner a few years back and I remember the food was aiight. Why would I play you on moving from MA to SC? I like the south a lot. I was in Charleston, SC about two years back and it was SO nice. I'd be more interested why you are moving to KS? Or why you've moving twice in the past 2/3 years. But it ain't my business to ask so I apologize. But yea Delaware is a state that most people just drive through aka only see on I-95. I think it's funny on how they make you pay money to leave the state of Delaware! If I was at Hooters I do not think I would be able to pay attention to most any football game.....unless it was the Steelers.

PS: Forgot to mention, you would love my roommate. He's a patriots fan. I have to wake up every morning in the dorm to see his patriots super bowl XXXIX 3-time champions flag that is 3x2 ft. Ironically he's from Jersey but I guess his dad is from Boston area. He also is a diehard Red Sox fan. No matter though, I have my Terrible Towel hanging up and a Steelers poster on my closet door and I plan to get a Pittsburgh Steelers 5-TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS FLAG that measures 3x5 ft. to cover what is now a Jamaican flag that hangs over my bed. Peace

BuFu

Last edited by HburgXL06; 03-04-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:59 PM   #40
tony hipchest

Quote:

I can tell you from MUCH experience in my own everyday practicing that skaters fall a lot and it often hurts. You do get used to it to a certain extent and as weird as it sounds your body "learns" the "right" way to fall as to avoid too much pain. A lot of skaters also wear padding around their hips, tailbone, and sometimes their knees to avoid extensive stress taking a toll on their bodies. An example of the damage that can be done when not wearing pads: within a year of winning a gold medal in Nagano, Tara Lipinski had to have hip surgery to repair the extensive blunt trauma that her body had endured from falling continuously on her side while practicing her then famous triple loop-triple loop combination. Her left hip was just horribly bruised and battered from years of falling on it without wearing pads. I don't know if she had anything done on the right hip but if she did that can also be understood. The amount of pressure and strain put on the body in a triple jump is enormous. Since her trademark combination was a loop-loop combination (a loop jump takes off and lands on the same foot so essentially the skater takes off/lands/takes off/lands all in less than two seconds. You can understand then how that can break down all the joints and ligaments in the area. The muscles and joints have to create spring to accelerate into the air and then be able to absorb the force of falling almost 3 feet out of the air and then repeat the process in a very short amount of time. If I repeat myself I apologize. I'm just trying to explain the forces and altheticism that are needed to be a competitive skater. If I sound on a soap box I apologize I just have had to deal with many people over the years who do not see figure skating as a real sport. Being a skater I know what it does take and am even more amazed when I see other skaters doing the amazing performances. I've diverged too many times so far so I'll let it go for now. Peace.

BuFu
well i have definitely gained even MORE respect for you and your sport. dont sweat the fools who say youre not an athelete. racing drivers catch that heat all the time. i have skated, although on a skateboard back in the day, so i totally understand what youre saying about biting it. you definitely get beat up. i definitely look at someone like tony hawk as a skater and respect him alot as one i looked up to when i was younger. i pretty much respect all the "tricks" figure skaters do just as those that skateboarders, snowboarders, etc. do. its pretty awesome stuff that takes total body control and almost a completely different level of precision and practice than alot of sports.

good luck especially if youre active in competition.