Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Madden: No crime but Ben does time

Madden: No crime but Ben does time
By: Mark Madden
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...1312f2e3f585df

The final verdict: Ben Roethlisberger is suspended four games.

What a crock.

Steelers fans shouldn’t complain. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell originally ruled six games, with a possible reduction to four if Roethlisberger showed exemplary behavior. Ben did, so Goodell kept his part of the bargain. A deal’s a deal.

But so much has happened since that deal was made.

Rey Maualuga of Cincinnati: Drunk driving, no suspension. Shaun Rogers of Cleveland: Gun in an airport, no suspension. Vince Young of Tennessee: Videotaped fighting in a strip club, no suspension. Charges, convictions, evidence — no suspensions.

Compounding matters further, the legendary Brett Favre reportedly sent extremely improper texts to Jenn Sterger of the Versus network. Both were employed by the New York Jets at the time. The NFL would not confirm or deny that it’s investigating. Here’s betting it’s not.

Don’t forget, Roethlisberger was never charged with anything. Not enough evidence. Is Ben a victim? He was wrongly accused, that’s for sure.

Given Roethlisberger’s admittedly poor judgment, an avalanche of bad PR and the (intentional?) vagaries of the NFL’s personal conduct policy, the idea of a suspension is not absurd. But six games? Six games when those convicted miss zero action?

Arbitrary. Capricious. Unfair.

Goodell saw a chance to make an example of a superstar and took full advantage — not that Maualuga, Rogers and Young were scared straight. Goodell also saw a chance to make an example of a white superstar.

Of the 18 players suspended by the NFL this year, 16 (89 percent) are black. Some might racially profile. Others might note that the majority (approximately 65 percent) of the NFL is black, so the majority of those suspended should, logically, be black. Quite a difference between 89 percent and 65 percent, though.

But there’s no denying that the whole world was watching after Milledgeville, especially after the district attorney in charge of the case basically proclaimed Roethlisberger guilty despite having neither the evidence or guts to prosecute. Had Goodell been lenient, the NFL’s black majority might have been upset. Same with black special interest groups. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton might have shown up on Goodell’s doorstep.

So Goodell overreacted. Can’t say I blame him.

Roethlisberger can’t complain, not too loud, anyway. More bad PR. But those on the inside know Ben is seething at the inequity.

He’s probably seething at Terry Bradshaw, too. In the same recent interview where Bradshaw said, “I wish I didn’t have to play for Pittsburgh,” the former Steelers quarterback said, “Going to bars — treating women like that, oh my God. I pray they don’t cut (his suspension) to four games. I hope they leave it at six.”

This is the same Terry Bradshaw who once wrote, in his own biography, “I had separated myself from God. I lived only for Terry Bradshaw, not for God. I tried to be one of the boys and went to every honky-tonk I could find and chased women and behaved in a way that was totally alien to anything I had ever known before.”

Apparently second chances are only good for Bradshaw, not Roethlisberger.

A vocal minority of Yinzer Nation — a lobby which is either getting quieter or diminishing in number, maybe both — still spews outrage over Ben’s alleged misogyny, demands further suspension and wishes the Steelers had traded Roethlisberger, or cut him, or hit him in the head with a hammer.

Understand this: As of Friday, those decisions have all been made. Roethlisberger wasn’t charged. The length of his suspension has been finalized. He’s still the Steelers’ franchise quarterback. Except for the delayed reaction of a few zealots, this is over.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416
Default Re: Madden: No crime but Ben does time

Good read. I feel the same way.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,631 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

man that's the first time i ever heard mark madden support anyone from the steelers. did he get hit in the head on the way to work?

this has to be the first time i ever agreed on him with anything
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by figg View Post
Good read. I feel the same way.
Ditto that.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Good read. Glad to see you back mesa.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Madden: No crime but Ben does time
By: Mark Madden
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...1312f2e3f585df

The final verdict: Ben Roethlisberger is suspended four games.

What a crock.

Steelers fans shouldn’t complain. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell originally ruled six games, with a possible reduction to four if Roethlisberger showed exemplary behavior. Ben did, so Goodell kept his part of the bargain. A deal’s a deal.

But so much has happened since that deal was made.

Rey Maualuga of Cincinnati: Drunk driving, no suspension. Shaun Rogers of Cleveland: Gun in an airport, no suspension. Vince Young of Tennessee: Videotaped fighting in a strip club, no suspension. Charges, convictions, evidence — no suspensions.

Compounding matters further, the legendary Brett Favre reportedly sent extremely improper texts to Jenn Sterger of the Versus network. Both were employed by the New York Jets at the time. The NFL would not confirm or deny that it’s investigating. Here’s betting it’s not.

Don’t forget, Roethlisberger was never charged with anything. Not enough evidence. Is Ben a victim? He was wrongly accused, that’s for sure.

Given Roethlisberger’s admittedly poor judgment, an avalanche of bad PR and the (intentional?) vagaries of the NFL’s personal conduct policy, the idea of a suspension is not absurd. But six games? Six games when those convicted miss zero action?

Arbitrary. Capricious. Unfair.

Goodell saw a chance to make an example of a superstar and took full advantage — not that Maualuga, Rogers and Young were scared straight. Goodell also saw a chance to make an example of a white superstar.

Of the 18 players suspended by the NFL this year, 16 (89 percent) are black. Some might racially profile. Others might note that the majority (approximately 65 percent) of the NFL is black, so the majority of those suspended should, logically, be black. Quite a difference between 89 percent and 65 percent, though.

But there’s no denying that the whole world was watching after Milledgeville, especially after the district attorney in charge of the case basically proclaimed Roethlisberger guilty despite having neither the evidence or guts to prosecute. Had Goodell been lenient, the NFL’s black majority might have been upset. Same with black special interest groups. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton might have shown up on Goodell’s doorstep.

So Goodell overreacted. Can’t say I blame him.

Roethlisberger can’t complain, not too loud, anyway. More bad PR. But those on the inside know Ben is seething at the inequity.

He’s probably seething at Terry Bradshaw, too. In the same recent interview where Bradshaw said, “I wish I didn’t have to play for Pittsburgh,” the former Steelers quarterback said, “Going to bars — treating women like that, oh my God. I pray they don’t cut (his suspension) to four games. I hope they leave it at six.”

This is the same Terry Bradshaw who once wrote, in his own biography, “I had separated myself from God. I lived only for Terry Bradshaw, not for God. I tried to be one of the boys and went to every honky-tonk I could find and chased women and behaved in a way that was totally alien to anything I had ever known before.”

Apparently second chances are only good for Bradshaw, not Roethlisberger.

A vocal minority of Yinzer Nation — a lobby which is either getting quieter or diminishing in number, maybe both — still spews outrage over Ben’s alleged misogyny, demands further suspension and wishes the Steelers had traded Roethlisberger, or cut him, or hit him in the head with a hammer.

Understand this: As of Friday, those decisions have all been made. Roethlisberger wasn’t charged. The length of his suspension has been finalized. He’s still the Steelers’ franchise quarterback. Except for the delayed reaction of a few zealots, this is over.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).
Great epistle.........and not far off from what it is.......not sure God needed to be brought in especially since he may or may not exist or may or may not care about the NFL......

in any case......Big Ben is a proven winner who has proven in college and pros to make big plays when big plays are needed..........

too bad he a single guy is the target of hate........while our boy Tiger gets adulated daily despite having 16 or so mistresses and a wife and two infant children.

when a nation goes mad it goes really mad...........the Ben and Tiger treatment is just another example
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

I couldn't read the whole thing.

Ben needed a suspension to deflate his head and bring him back down to earth with the rest of us.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post

Ben needed a suspension to deflate his head and bring him back down to earth with the rest of us.
He definitely needed something no doubt. But it's the hypocrisy of the whole suspension situation that pisses most fans off.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post

So you believe arrogance or perceived arrogance is reason enough to suspend someone? Wow!!!!!
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Quote:
Originally Posted by figg View Post
He definitely needed something no doubt. But it's the hypocrisy of the whole suspension situation that pisses most fans off.
I get that and you won't get any argument out of me on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerjim58 View Post
So you believe arrogance or perceived arrogance is reason enough to suspend someone? Wow!!!!!
There is nothing perceived about Ben's arrogance.

Even he's acknowledged that.

And that alone didn't get his ass in NY sitting across from the Commish.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote