Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 09-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,950 Times in 3,404 Posts
Default 2009 offense vs defense

theres an excersize i did along with quite a bit of research, and i forgot which thread i placed it in.

a great defense will always tell an offense "score us 17 points and we will win you the game." the steelers DEFENSE last year gave up 16.75 points per game.

now throw out field goals. after all, they are special team points scored with a kicker against the defenses special teams unit.

i look at a fg as an offensive failure to score a td and the defense preventing a score.

last year, the steelers defense allowed just 2 or fewer TD's in 12 of its 16 games. = 75%

last year the steelers offense scored 2 or more TD's in 8 of its 16 games. = 50%

now you tell me which unit underpreformed.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Downbylaw
Banned

Member Number: 16635
Default Re: 2009 offense vs defense

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY and have said so MANY times!! BRAVO BRAVO!!!1
Downbylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Reasonable...

One reason why it is easy to agree to get rid of FGs is because we led in time of possession. I could see how it might be important if a defense is weak, allows the other offense to take its time driving, using up all the time and they score FGs (if it's a lot). But if the O has TOP, there is no excuse.

Still, the reason you hear a lot about the D failing is we are not used to being average in pass D. If we were average in everything we wouldn't make the playoffs. Only the top 12 teams make the playoffs so having a stat being 16th in pass defense is not what we expect from our D. At least they were a better when it came to points. not the worst...just not what we usually expect.

Giving yardage (as a D without as many points) just affects things like field position. If you can give your O some short fields then they don't have to work as hard to complete a drive. You increase you chance of getting points before a drive is derailed.

If anyone has a STAT on the offense's average field position start, please submit it. I'm tired. That makes a difference.

Last edited by SteelKnight; 09-08-2010 at 01:58 PM.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
SteelKnight
Team President

Just so you know, the Steelers PPG was 12th in the league.

I think we got used to the luxury of the defense sometimes providing short fields and sometimes getting turnovers which probably wasn't happening last year.

If you pin the defense to their 10 because you drove well then punted then the defense allows them to drive all the way to the 45 (only 35 yards) then punt it to you where you are back at your 15, that is not the same as an excellent D that stops them after 0 or maybe 1 first down and forces them to punt and get you the ball back at the 50 yard line. In both cases the defense allowed no points and if you are just glancing at stats, you might say "why does 35 more passing yards hurt if no points were allowed?" but they are two totally different defenses. One provides you with excellent field position.

Last edited by SteelKnight; 09-08-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
SteelKnight
Team President

Some of these arguments we have are silly. Some games it was the offense's fault and some the defense's fault.

For example, during the 5 game stretch, I'm going to say 2 games were the fault of the offense (Cincy and Cleveland), 2 games te fault of the defense (KC and Oakand) and one game I'm blaming Dixon (Ravens).
I appreciate wat Dixon did on short notice but the kind of pick he threw guaranteed the loss in OT.

Did Arians or ST make the Steelers defense give up 21 points in the fourth quater against the Raider? No

For the Chiefs game, even though there was the opening KO TD and the int. ran back to the 8(3rd), the defense didn't play well towards the end and cost the Steelers the game. Sure they were under pressure because of those 2 things but they choked.

If they step up in either of those 2 games, we make the playoffs.

Both sides of the ball (and ST) have things to fix...I'm glad Troy is back.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

I also remember other times where the defense just choked...like we said STATS don't show everything. I remember them choking against the Bengals. Yes. It's nice not to have to be in those situations but they choked. If they step up for 1 play, we win.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

The Offensive underperformed when it came down to scoring TD's inside the 20 yard line something that was almost automatic at one time with the Steelers and this is where I think a viable run game will come into play.

If Redman can get those 3 & 4 yard carries in the Red Zone and punch it in at the 1 yard line we will be fine. Last year the Steelers move the ball great until they got inside the 20.

I am excited that Dixon will force our offense to change to one that will rely more or the run now.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,570 Posts

the steelers converted 3rd down 39% of the time... compare that to some of the better offenses in the league...

colts - 49%
saints - 45%
packers - 47%
vikings - 45%

on defense the steelers gave up 3rd down 42 % of the time

jets - 32%
packers 36%
vikings 34 %
saints - 38%
colts - 45%

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

I am excited that Dixon will force our offense to change to one that will rely more or the run now.

Dixon will be the one doing the running. Running QB'S win no championships.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
SteelKnight
Team President

I keep trying to think how to say what I feel. I think this might cover it.

There were several times last year where the defense choked. There were times where we said forget about stats, ranking, what put us in this position, etc. All you have to do is come through on this drive (or even play) and we win...and they choked.

Going back later and saying they shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place misses the point. What if there is a game where the Steelers are down 28-27 in FG range with 2 minutes to go and they throw a pick. That means the offense choked and lost the game. We don't go back and say 27 points should have been enough and the defense and ST shouldn't have allowed 28 points. We don't talk about how their stats add up overall. The bottom line is they were in position to win...a chance to play like their rep and they choked.

The same can be said of the defense. tere were times where if they had played like a top 5 defense whe would have won...they just joked...no denying it. I appreciate that they had played well in other parts of the game and they shouldn't have been in that situation. That being said...they choked.

Kobe Bryant doesn't miss the final shot being wide open then complain that he had 30 points already. He would accept that he choked.

Now if you are saying it was because they were tired...fine. I think it was more because Troy and maybe Smith were gone but all the talk from the team is hoopla to save face because they can't overemphasize the importance of one man. To me, the difference is with Troy in there...at those big moments, we would not have choked.