Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 09-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #11
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Re: 2009 offense vs defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
the steelers converted 3rd down 39% of the time... compare that to some of the better offenses in the league...

colts - 49%
saints - 45%
packers - 47%
vikings - 45%

on defense the steelers gave up 3rd down 42 % of the time

jets - 32%
packers 36%
vikings 34 %
saints - 38%
colts - 45%
Both statistics must be judged in context of first downs. For example, we had way more first downs (9th in league) last year tan the year before. If you get some first downs on first or second down, you can keep a drive going. For defense we were 4th in allowing the least 1st downs.

Either way, both sides of the ball needed work at different times but I distinctly remember the defense choking at certain times. I'd like to see the stat for conversions etc. in the fouth quarter when the pressure was on in the critical drives.

That defensive 42% places us 28th in the league...more evidence of choking. With critical drives in the 4th quarter it was probably 60%. lol

Anyway, I think it is a good stat we need to work on.

Last edited by SteelKnight; 09-08-2010 at 06:14 PM.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
I am excited that Dixon will force our offense to change to one that will rely more or the run now.

Dixon will be the one doing the running. Running QB'S win no championships.
We don't need him to win a championship just win 2 of the next 4.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
SteelKnight
Team President

Fun arguing with you guys. The new season is upon us. I'm excited about the Saits Vikings game although it won't be the same without Sidney Rice.

Our New Steelers will be playing this weekend and hopefully they've been reading our posts and they've fixed all the things we've complained about on Offense/Defense and ST.

I'm done talking about the '09 Steelers and will be focusing on the '10 Steelers. Past is the past.

Good luck everyone. I feel like we will win.

The Ravens play the Jets...should be good although Ravens should beat the overrated Jets. Arrogant Rex was talking but can Sanchez back it up.

I can't believe I will be rooting for the Patriots ...but at least it is against the Bengals.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post

That defensive 42% places us 28th in the league...more evidence of choking.

Anyway, I think it is a good stat we need to work on.
its not evidence of "choking"

it is evidence of getting beat.

again, this is another HUGE misconception. this isnt something you have to "work on" fixing.

this is a situation where you plug in a healthy troy and smith and just keep on keepin on.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

again, this is another HUGE misconception. this isnt something you have to "work on" fixing.

this is a situation where you plug in a healthy troy and smith and just keep on keepin on.
We disagree about the choke part but we both agree a healthy Troy and Smith will help it. Like I said there were times it came down to stopping the opponent on key drives or even key plays and they choked. Had they come through, we win and everyone is happy. Arguing about whether they should have been in that position in the first place is besides the point. Pressure time...come through or not.

At this point, I don't think you are trying to appreciate what I am saying so we are practicing futility.

If you play video games, I can give a good example but I'll hold off if you are one of those older guys that think you are too manly for videogames. lol
Old 09-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #16
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,570 Posts

for the most part last year the defense played great for the first 50 minutes or so. they just had to many drives where they gave up huge 3rd and 10 - 20's... and a few 4th downs at the end of games (bengals)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #17
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

Just so you know...since you added melodramatic icons...lol the "work on" was in reference to third downs overall (including offense and defense). I actually went back and added the placement of defense once I looked it up.

Of course I think the defense will be better with Troy. What we were arguing before is how they played without Troy. You seem to think they played good enough and it was all the offense's fault. I disagree. I think the team had problems in all three phases. I think the defense without Troy choked on several critical drives. With Troy, I think they will be better...unless they become tired from Arians passing...lol. Whatever.

The funny thing is I really added it at the end of the post so someone doesn't come arguing with me that I said we don't need to work on these things...don't look so deep into the words "work on"...think "fix" for goodness sake...we really need to start this season.

Last edited by SteelKnight; 09-09-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:32 AM   #18
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
for the most part last year the defense played great for the first 50 minutes or so. they just had to many drives where they gave up huge 3rd and 10 - 20's... and a few 4th downs at the end of games (bengals)
Yeah...I still remember the Justin Leonard play...

Our arguing is nitpicking. We all believe we will be better with Troy so who cares. I just remember at least 3 times (maybe more) where I said If the defense can come through on this drive, we win...and they couldn't. With Troy...different story.

Field position is important too. We can't do a bend but not break with the pass defense, finish 16th then say we didn't allow many points.

It is hard to sustain a drive. Eventually something will happen so the shorter the field, the better. The idea is score before you lose momentum of that drive. It's a lot easier starting at your 45 tan it is starting at your 10.

Good teams get some INTs. Hopefully that is better with Troy back. He had 3 last year in the few games he played. If we had Daren Sharper last year, we could have gone to the Superbowl. lol
Old 09-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #19
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,570 Posts

there's no doubt arians offense shit the bed against some of the worst defenses in the league. 6 points against a browns defense that had like 6 backups starting ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #20
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
We disagree about the choke part but we both agree a healthy Troy and Smith will help it. Like I said there were times it came down to stopping the opponent on key drives or even key plays and they choked. Had they come through, we win and everyone is happy. Arguing about whether they should have been in that position in the first place is besides the point. Pressure time...come through or not.

At this point, I don't think you are trying to appreciate what I am saying so we are practicing futility.

If you play video games, I can give a good example but I'll hold off if you are one of those older guys that think you are too manly for videogames. lol
no, im not a gamer. i kinda gave that up whe i realized i could plug my flesh joystick into a girls "x-box".

do i think rookie joe burnett choked by dropping an easy int vs the raiders?

no.

there was no pressure. he didnt know the ball was coming to him. he didnt know he could ice the game.

in a split second, he saw his 1st opportunity for an int in a real NFL game and he simply took his eyes off the ball.

he coulda made the play to win a game but he didnt. = different from choking.

i ask you this... do you think joey porter choked against the patriots in the 2001 afcc game?

if so, why?

i agree that pourous games were equally attributed to the offensive and special teams shortcomings, along with the defense missing 2 of its crucial components.

does anyone ever wonder why offensive and ST coaching staff was fired, but the defensive staff left intact?

the proof is in the pudding.