Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #11
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,737 Times in 704 Posts
Default Re: Turner to test Steelers' run defense

Go ahead and turn over the fossil the last time the Steelers let a 100 yard rusher. It's a rarity and I don't think Atlanta will have too much success on the ground since our defense is called to stop the run first at all costs. Everyone forgets that our run defense is as stout as any run defense could be.

Plus, Turner is an through the tackles type guy, right into the teeth of our strength. The only thing that he could get us with is his shiftyness for being a small guy that can pound it. He may find a few holes here and there, but no way he goes above 65.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:19 AM   #12
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Go ahead and turn over the fossil the last time the Steelers let a 100 yard rusher. It's a rarity and I don't think Atlanta will have too much success on the ground since our defense is called to stop the run first at all costs. Everyone forgets that our run defense is as stout as any run defense could be.

Plus, Turner is an through the tackles type guy, right into the teeth of our strength. The only thing that he could get us with is his shiftyness for being a small guy that can pound it. He may find a few holes here and there, but no way he goes above 65.
week 16 of last year ray rice hung hung a buck 41 on em ....

http://www.nfl.com/players/rayrice/g...51&season=2009

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:19 AM   #13
BlockMonsta
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13642

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post

Um the Steelers gave up 147yds in week 16 last season...Turner is not a small back.
BlockMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #14
Downbylaw
Banned

Member Number: 16635

Good Luck with that. I would rather them try to run on us than the try to pass. The passing part makes me nervous.
Downbylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockMonsta View Post
Um the Steelers gave up 147yds in week 16 last season...Turner is not a small back.
My point:

Week 1: Tennessee Titans
Chris Johnson 15 carries, 57 yards
Lendale White 8 carries, 28 yards

Week 2: Chicago Bears
Matt Forte 13 carries 29 yards
A. Peterson 3 carries 16 yards

Week 3: Cincinnati Bengals
Cedric Benson 16 carries, 76 yards
Crocker 1 carry, 26 yards

Week 4: San Diego Chargers
LT 7 carries, 15 yards

Week 5: Detroit Lions
Kevin Smith 20 carries, 53 yards.

Week 6. Cleveland Browns
Josh Cribbs 6 carries, 45 yards
Harrison 5 carries, 26 yards

Week 7: Minnesota Vikings
Adrian Peterson 18 carries, 69 yards
Chester Taylor 3 carries, 14 yards

Week 8: BYE

Week 9: Denver Broncos
Buckhalter 9 carries, 24 yards

Week 10: Cincinnati Bengals
Bart Scott 13 carries, 33 yards
Benson 7 carries, 22 yards

Week 11: KC Chiefs
Charles 17 carries, 58 yards

Week 12: Baltimore Ravens
Ray Rice 14 carries, 88 yards

Week 13: Oakland Raiders
Fargas 15 carries, 63 yards

Week 14: Cleveland Browns
Cribbs 8 carries, 87 yards

Week 15: Green Bay Packers
Ryan Grant 8 carries 37 yards

Week 16: Baltimore Ravens
Ray Rice 30 carries, 141 yards

Week 17: Miami Dolphins
Ricky Williams 12 carries, 31 yards

The point as I was trying to make, is that any feature back that has EVER competed against us (and over the years we've faced the best backs in the league weekly) is that we RARELY, if EVER give up a 100 yard day on the ground for a feature back.

I'm aware of Rice's yardage Week 16 and knew we gave up one last season going over my head, but 1 game out of 16? I'll take it. The Steelers NEVER give up running lanes and it's our #1 priority. Always was, always will be. You can't be a successful defense if you can't stop the run, period. We are the best at it from an overall standpoint over the years.

Again, turn over the Fossil's and see the tracks in them that our run D ever gives up. THERE'S NOT MANY TRACINGS.

As far as Michael Turner, the dude is 5 foot 10. I said he's a small guy that could pound the ball between the tackles. He's low in stature, could slip through the line given his height but still had the power with his low center of gravity.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #16
BlockMonsta
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13642

5'10 244lbs=not small
BlockMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockMonsta View Post
5'10 244lbs=not small
.. it is running behind guys that are 6'5-6'7, 320 pounds. I'm not saying small as in bulk, the dude is obviously built like a tank. Small is the Wes Welkers, Stefan Logan's of the league. He's a small as in a short reference. A guy that can sneak through cracks given his 5'10 stature.

Last edited by StainlessStill; 09-09-2010 at 02:44 PM.
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #18
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downbylaw View Post
Good Luck with that. I would rather them try to run on us than the try to pass. The passing part makes me nervous.
Why? The mediocre pass defense is Big Ben and Bruce Arians' fault, right? Don't you remember? You just spent like 6 pages arguing with someone about this in another thread......now you come on this thread and post the exact opposite of what you were arguing elsewhere. IN the 2009 offense vs defense thread, you just got done beating the dead horse into red pulp, that it is all the offense's fault we ranked #16 against the pass last year.....

I am seeing a pattern-- you just like to argue with folks, just for the sake of disagreeing with them. You come off like a courtoom lawyer, or an aspiring one that is trying to brush up on his public lying skills.

I don't know if it is your ego, or your intellect, that is the problem, but one definitely exists....
Old 09-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #19
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Don't even bother with the guy Riddle, his intellect is only marginal at best and he runs away from anyone that ever proves him wrong. He seems to love picking on the people that are a bit slower than him but when someone (like yours truly) gives him a spanking up and down a thread he ends up cowering and running away.

He's only interested in drawing simpletons out to debate him and then running around with circular and conflicting logic that would result in an endless argumentless debate if anyone bothered to follow through. He postures a lot about rationality and logic but never uses it. His main aim is to just piss people off. Once in a while he will post an accurate post or argument, but that's just the result of throwing darts with a blindfold on, every once in a while an argument will stick but it's only by luck.

When he's really backed into a corner he becomes sentimental and spouts cliches.

He's pretty much an egoist coward that hates admitting he's wrong. I wonder that you brought up his phony lawyer posturing, because when proven wrong his arguments often do fly into nonsequitors and meanignless nonsense, much like a lawyers.
mikegrimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #20
Downbylaw
Banned

Member Number: 16635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Why? The mediocre pass defense is Big Ben and Bruce Arians' fault, right? Don't you remember? You just spent like 6 pages arguing with someone about this in another thread......now you come on this thread and post the exact opposite of what you were arguing elsewhere. IN the 2009 offense vs defense thread, you just got done beating the dead horse into red pulp, that it is all the offense's fault we ranked #16 against the pass last year.....

I am seeing a pattern-- you just like to argue with folks, just for the sake of disagreeing with them. You come off like a courtoom lawyer, or an aspiring one that is trying to brush up on his public lying skills.

I don't know if it is your ego, or your intellect, that is the problem, but one definitely exists....
I am seeing a pattern you have no reading comprehension. SHOW ME where I said our Dbs are good. In what thread did I argue that our DBs were a strength. I think I debated about our DEFENSE. I bet you feel like a single digit midget right about now dont you? You come off as Mrs Kravits who lives next door to Darren and Samantha Stevens (Bewitched) and your always in everyones business. Dont forget to show me what I posted sir.

ABNER!!! ABNER!! ABNER!!!
Downbylaw is offline   Reply With Quote