Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-27-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Default CBA -- What Are The Effects Of Not having One , Outside Of Salary Cap?

I hear a lot of talk about this but I'm not sure I fully understand it. I realize it would mean no salary cap for 2007. I have also read that the NFLPA has said if they will go uncapped for one year, they will never, ever go back to a cap. It just seems as though if they did go to no salary cap it would take decades to get the cap back again, if ever.

I do recognize that the game would change pretty drastically without a cap, but I don't know if I am missing any other effects of no CBA being reached. Are there other aspects worth commenting upon?
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:14 AM   #2
Motley Nate
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 735
Default Re: CBA -- What Are The Effects Of Not having One , Outside Of Salary Cap?

No cap means teams like the Giants and Jets will suddenly improve out of nowhere and teams like Pittsburgh and Cincinnati will have trouble keeping their highest paid players IF they are out for the dollars and not loyalty. Not having a salary cap for 2007 season would be taking 8 steps back for the NFL.

It bothers me for sheer competition sake.

A lack of a salary cap kills sports. Take a team like the Yankees. What's the sense of competition when you can't keep together a team long enough to keep stride with Steinbrenner's pocket book. Yes, money doesn't always buy a championship for any given year BUT over time it will. Small markets and cash-straddled owners can't keep up with that. The only thing that keeps a team like the Yankees in check with the absense of a strict salary cap is a luxury tax. Having a cap makes it a more skilled job for a GM and makes the ENTIRE organization work for a championship.

Take teams like Cincy and the Steelers, two of the NFL's best. Small market teams that benefit from the NFL TV Revenue deal and win by managing their cap well to lock up their key players at key times so they don't break the bank later. Having no cap shows the financial limitations of these kinds of teams. It's just bothersome to think of it.

Might as well implode the AFC North and the NFL TV Revenue deal.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: CBA -- What Are The Effects Of Not having One , Outside Of Salary Cap?

Here would be the potential roster of a high-revenue market team:

QB-Peyton Manning
WR-Terell Owens
WR-Randy Moss
WR-Marvin Harrison
RB-Ladanian Tomlinson
And the best o-linemen in the game

CB-Ty Law
CB-Champ Bailey
SS-Troy Polamalu
FS-John Lynch
LB-Shawn Merriman
LB-Ray Lewis
LB-Brian Urlacher
DE-Julius Peppers
DE-John Abraham
DT-Casey Hampton
DT-Some other stud DT

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
Motley Nate
Starter
Supporter

Guess what folks. Talks broke down again. NO CAP THIS YEAR. Beginning of the end for the AFC North.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Motley. The year There Is No Cap is The 2007 SEASON NOT 2006. Their is still one this year.Next Year No Deal No Cap. In 2008 No Deal No Season.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
Motley Nate
Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786
Motley. The year There Is No Cap is The 2007 SEASON NOT 2006. Their is still one this year.Next Year No Deal No Cap. In 2008 No Deal No Season.
Odd thought I read somewhere on ESPN about this year.

It's not good news regardless.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:08 AM   #7
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Interesting topic for the Blast Furnace.

Just kidding Lyn.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:46 AM   #8
Milkman
Starter

Member Number: 1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Nate
No cap means teams like the Giants and Jets will suddenly improve out of nowhere and teams like Pittsburgh and Cincinnati will have trouble keeping their highest paid players IF they are out for the dollars and not loyalty. Not having a salary cap for 2007 season would be taking 8 steps back for the NFL.

It bothers me for sheer competition sake.

A lack of a salary cap kills sports. Take a team like the Yankees. What's the sense of competition when you can't keep together a team long enough to keep stride with Steinbrenner's pocket book. Yes, money doesn't always buy a championship for any given year BUT over time it will. Small markets and cash-straddled owners can't keep up with that. The only thing that keeps a team like the Yankees in check with the absense of a strict salary cap is a luxury tax. Having a cap makes it a more skilled job for a GM and makes the ENTIRE organization work for a championship.

Take teams like Cincy and the Steelers, two of the NFL's best. Small market teams that benefit from the NFL TV Revenue deal and win by managing their cap well to lock up their key players at key times so they don't break the bank later. Having no cap shows the financial limitations of these kinds of teams. It's just bothersome to think of it.

Might as well implode the AFC North and the NFL TV Revenue deal.
I have to agree with Nate here.

This is not looking good at all for our beloved Steelers and any other small or mid market teams. The best sport on the face of Earth is heading in the same direction as Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey.

Guess I'll have to start watching Golf or something.

Us against the world...STILL!
Bring it suckas!
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #9
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman
I have to agree with Nate here.

This is not looking good at all for our beloved Steelers and any other small or mid market teams. The best sport on the face of Earth is heading in the same direction as Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey.

Guess I'll have to start watching Golf or something.
Actually, it's gonna make this year pretty entertaining with all the teams way over the cap having to cut high-profile players to get under...but yeah, the NFL with no salary cap is not something I want to see.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote