Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Starkey: Steelers will win without Ben

Starkey: Steelers will win without Ben
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_698602.html#
By Joe Starkey
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 9, 2010

I'm out of my mind.

Or so I've been told, repeatedly, over the past 48 hours, ever since I predicted the Steelers would go 3-1 without suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Three reasons why it'll happen:

• The schedule.

• A potentially dominant defense.

• Improved special teams.

First the schedule. The Steelers open Sunday at Heinz Field as a 2 1/2-point underdog against the Atlanta Falcons — who made that line? — and continue with road games at Tennessee and Tampa Bay before a visit from the Baltimore Ravens.

That's not cake, but it's manageable because the first three teams don't appear to have the defensive chops to take advantage of a vulnerable Steelers offense.

I'd feel differently about the chances for a fast start if the Steelers opened with road games against the Jets and Bengals, as the Ravens do, or with three road games among their first four, as the Cincinnati Bengals do, including visits to New England and Carolina.

The Falcons have a revamped defense that is faster and possibly improved from last year's 21st-ranked unit but will be without its best interior lineman, Jonathan Babineaux (suspension). Plus, high-priced new cornerback Dunta Robinson did not play a snap in the preseason because of a hamstring injury, though he apparently is ready to go.

You could say the Falcons get a break facing the Steelers without Roethlisberger. I'm thinking the Steelers get one by facing a unit that might need some time to grow and gel.

The Titans' defense is nothing like the wrecking crew that paved the way to a 13-3 season two years ago. Gone are destructive linemen Albert Haynesworth and Kyle Vanden Bosch, plus linebacker Keith Bulluck. Tennessee finished 28th overall last season and beat mostly middling offenses (Buffalo, San Francisco, Arizona without Kurt Warner, Seattle, etc.) during its season-ending 8-2 run.

Tampa Bay might be the worst team in the NFL.

The Ravens, obviously, will be a major challenge, although I believe they just signed Aki Iwamura (and his knee brace) to play cornerback. They're also without Ed Reed, a loss akin to the Steelers being without Troy Polamalu.

I'm not saying the Steelers are primed to light up any of these teams. But if they merely borrow the Ravens' offensive mantra from 2000 — DON'T SCREW IT UP — and make a few plays, they should be able to survive the early portion of the schedule.

The defense should see to that. Would you trade it for any other unit in the league? Not me. Not now, when it's healthy and fresh.

I see the best outside-linebacker tandem in the league, a killer safety combo, an emerging star in Lawrence Timmons and a talented, experienced line that will sprinkle in second-year man Ziggy Hood as needed.

I asked cornerback Bryant McFadden, who has returned after a year in Arizona, if this defense has the goods to be as dominant as the one he left after Super Bowl XLIII.

"I don't see any reason why we can't," McFadden said.

How about age?

"Most guys play better when they get older," he said. "That's just people looking for something to talk about."

Actually, it's a legitimate issue, but one that likely won't manifest itself until the season wears on.

Finally, the special teams, which can't be any worse after allowing a league-record four kickoff returns for touchdowns. The Steelers emphatically addressed the issue, bringing in a new special teams coach in Al Everest and several new players, including special teams aces Will Allen and Arnaz Battle.

This offense won't remind anyone of the 1981 Chargers or even the 2009 Raiders at times, but it can be functional. Dennis Dixon can play as well as he played during regulation at Baltimore last season. That was a tough environment, against a tough team, on short notice.

The circumstances are different now. Most people believe the Steelers will suffer in Big Ben's absence, that 2-2 would be a triumph of monstrous proportions.

I'm thinking 3-1 is perfectly reasonable.

But I'm out of my mind.

Joe Starkey can be reached at jraystarkey@gmail.com or .
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Downbylaw
Banned

Member Number: 16635
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers will win without Ben

We will. The same way we win when Ben has a crappy game.
Downbylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,721 Times in 3,219 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

a lot of experts are counting us out, forgetting what makes the steelers is their defense. and they are having their top players back (who were injured last year)
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,309 Times in 3,647 Posts

The local Atlanta prognosticator certainly is on the Falcons bandwagon this week

Falcons at Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger has gone 12 consecutive days without crushing a beer can on his forehead, but no word if he’s canceled his subscription to, “Seventeen.” So it’s Matt Ryan vs. Dennis Dixon. Seriously, if the Falcons’ defense gets shredded this game, all bets are off for the next 15. Birds open with a win and cover 2 1/2.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl...upset-poultry/
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,721 Times in 3,219 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The local Atlanta prognosticator certainly is on the Falcons bandwagon this week (the pic is his as well)

Falcons at Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger has gone 12 consecutive days without crushing a beer can on his forehead, but no word if he’s canceled his subscription to, “Seventeen.” So it’s Matt Ryan vs. Dennis Dixon. Seriously, if the Falcons’ defense gets shredded this game, all bets are off for the next 15. Birds open with a win and cover 2 1/2.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl...upset-poultry/
lol that guy is a ****ing idiot. football isnt a 1on1 game last i remembered
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
Downbylaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
a lot of experts are counting us out, forgetting what makes the steelers is their defense. and they are having their top players back (who were injured last year)
Some people will argue that statement. Not me of course but..... some people
Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
joeyssteelcurtain
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11092

We will be fine 3-1. Lock it up

"I'm BLACK and GOLD until I'm dead and cold"
joeyssteelcurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:36 AM   #8
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Absolutely we will be at least 3-1. The toughest test our D will have will be baltimore, but we should win vs Atl, TB and Balt. The tennessee game give me cause for concern, only because we are not home.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
steelerohio
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14925

I've been predictong 2-2 but I am convinced now... 3-1... um... can I change my predictions?
steelerohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
Downbylaw
Banned

4-0/3-1 at worst