Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 09-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,614 Posts
Default Million Dollar NASA Photos Beaten by Budget Balloon

Amazing space photos taken with a digital camera and helium balloon.

It’s amazing what a little British ingenuity and a shoe-string budget can achieve. These glorious photos of space were taken by amateur enthusiast Robert Harrison, using a cheap Canon digital camera, some duct tape and a helium balloon.

In total, the rudimentary space camera cost just 500 ($747) on a project which a NASA spokesman admitted would have cost them millions of dollars.
Speaking to The Times, Mr Harrison explained: “A guy phoned up who worked for NASA who was interested in how we took the pictures. He wanted to know how the hell we did it.” The space experts thought Mr Harrison must have used a homemade rocket to take such spectacular shots from over 20 miles above the Earth’s surface.

The device uses materials readily available online, including loft insulation to wrap both the camera and a GPS tracking device to protect the digital equipment from freezing temperatures of -60C (-75F). The helium balloon which lifted the camera high above the Earth’s atmosphere expands to a diameter of up to 20 metres, before popping and letting the camera fall back to Earth via an attached parachute.

Mr Harrison said that he was by no means an electronics expert, and had picked up all he needed to know from browsing the internet, including how to reprogram his digital camera to sleep and reactivate every five minutes to take eight photos.

The shots recovered from this simple but highly effective method of automated photography have yielded some amazing results. The camera was also rigged to take brief film footage as it hung above the Earth’s atmosphere.

We have republished just some of the amazing photos taken here, but you can see the full collection at Mr Harrison’s dedicated website – The Icarus Project.
http://www.robertharrison.org/icarus...us-i-launch-3/

http://gnews.com/million-dollar-nasa...6201041030525/

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,853 Times in 3,716 Posts
Default Re: Million Dollar NASA Photos Beaten by Budget Balloon

i have a similar post a while back where i think it was an MIT student did this for less than $200.

great photos. i'll dig it up.

a few months ago i had to have my giant lanier office copier worked on. they sent a tech from roswell. he didnt have the part on him, so to avoid travel cost and ordering a new part, he rigged up some macguyver shit he said would work better than the part itself.

real cool dude. long haired self taught computer geek who didnt even graduate high school.

he showed me his website where he posted pictures of distant nebulas and galaxies he took form his rig in his back yard. he used an expensive 35mm camera and about $10,000 of good computers and networking gear.

i said "what about your telescope"? he said you dont need one.

the camera is just like your eyeball, and just because your eye cant "see" the light, doesnt mean photons arent hitting it.

i'll try to find that link too.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
tony hipchest

MIT student takes near space photos on $150 budget

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...alloon16m.html

Quote:
Quote:
Bellevue grad, MIT student uses helium balloon to capture near-space photosOliver Yeh hopes his low-budget experiment in near-space photography will inspire other students. But the Federal Aviation Administration says future flights need a check-in with the FAA.

When he launched a cheap digital camera into the stratosphere with a weather balloon, a styrofoam cooler and disposable hand warmers, former Bellevue student Oliver Yeh hoped his low-budget experiment in near-space photography would inspire other students to do the same.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology student, and 2006 graduate of Bellevue's Newport High, got some stunning photos of the Earth from an estimated 93,000 feet — about 17.5 miles high, far above the cruising altitude of commercial airplanes.

But was it legal?

heres his site with the kick ass pics. cool thing is, hes gonna post a step by step guide for free so we can do it too-

Project Icarus

http://space.1337arts.com/flight
Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

i think the title "project icarus" is being over used....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,139 Times in 448 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

"The helium balloon which lifted the camera high above the Earth’s atmosphere expands to a diameter of up to 20 metres, before popping "

that has to be one hell of a pop
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
tony hipchest

here is a picture of the space camera, the copy repairman built.

http://www.budgetastro.com/micro/Preview-2.jpg

check out his gallery of nebula pictures-

http://www.budgetastro.com/web/Nebula.html

and galaxies-

http://www.budgetastro.com/web/Galaxy.html

No Copyright Photos by Robert Long.... No Rights Reserved, feel free to copy, modify or use as you see fit.

i was amazed by what robert was showing me and explaining. i asked him what the hell he was doing fixing copy machines, and if he could turn his hobby into cash.

he said there is a ton of amateur astronomers all over america (most of whom would love to hav a rig like his, but have no clue how its done or built). he said eventually he plans on building them for commission.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

wow....nice pics ...