Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts
Default Cowboys "Most Popular" NFL Team - Steelers #2

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.
H. L. Mencken

Confirming that observation is this story from today's Wall Street Journal

In a first-of-its-kind study performed this summer, Nielsen Co., the media-research firm, developed a system for ranking the popularity of NFL teams based on each team's local and national TV rankings, how often they're mentioned on the Internet and how many visitors they attract to their official websites. The report, dubbed the Nielsen Sports Media Exposure Index, is the company's first attempt to classify pro-football teams in this manner.

Not surprisingly, the survey confirms that America's team is, in fact, "America's Team," as in the Dallas Cowboys. In the final ranking, they were a stunning 23% more popular than the No. 2 team, their old rivals the Pittsburgh Steelers

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...dallas+cowboys

The Nielsen Sports Media Exposure Index measured all 32 NFL teams in four categories during the 2009 regular season: local team ratings, gross national TV audience, online buzz volume, and monthly unique audiences to official team websites. Teams in each category were assigned a score, with the top rank worth 100 points and each subsequent ranking assigned a lower weighted score based its distance from the top. Final team rankings were calculated using the sum of scores across all four categories, and then indexed with the highest total equaling 100.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...sure-rankings/

According to the Nielsen charts in the linked article, Steelers were #2 in ratings in home city (Saints were #1 in that category), gross national TV audience, and unique hits to their website.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,936 Times in 1,668 Posts
Default Re: Cowboys "Most Popular" NFL Team - Steelers #2

not suprising...the cowbitches won a playoff game, so the ****roaches came out of the woodwork....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Gee, I wonder who the most successful NFL franchise is?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
not suprising...the cowbitches won a playoff game, so the ****roaches came out of the woodwork....
Bill Simmons does an entertaining rip job on the Cowboys mystique in his picks column this week

The Cowboys remind me of the Kardashians in that their strongest talent is a relentless ability to remain relevant. Much like the Kardashians successfully created the illusion that they should be famous, the Cowboys successfully created the illusion that they should be a Super Bowl contender. And they didn't even have to leak a sex tape to do it. You know what Dallas' record has been since 2000? 82-78. You know how many playoff games it has won over that stretch? One. That's right … one more playoff win than Buffalo and Detroit.

As with the Kardashians, it's all about the packaging. We consider Tony Romo an elite QB because he dates celebrities and puts up big fantasy numbers; so what if he freezes in big games? We consider Jerry Jones an elite owner because he splurged on a magnificent stadium and matched wits with Ari Gold; so what if he never built a Super Bowl team without Jimmy Johnson?....Every Cowboys Super Bowl pick includes the caveat, "They're returning 20 of 22 starters from last year"; so what if it means they're returning 20 of the 22 starters the Vikings trounced in January by 31 points?....And yet, somehow, the Dallas Cowboys have the fourth-best odds to win this year's Super Bowl (8-1). I give up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...nfl2010/100909
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,936 Times in 1,668 Posts

nice write up...hits the nail right on the head.
now the jets are getting the undeserved media love....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,555 Times in 3,980 Posts

play connect the dots with san diego, denver, kc, and NO on a map and you have established their territory.

the phoenix cardinals are still thanking their lucky stars for warner and coach wiz, or else they would still be second fiddle to the cowboys in their own town (actually, they still probably are).

i wonder if this study takes into account fans in mexico?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #7
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

All the Cowboy fans I know are girls.

And not to throw my gender under the bus, but they couldn't name more than two players on the team if their lives depended on it.

It's a trendy pick without any substance.

It's all flash, with cheerleaders and big purty stars all over the place.

Steelers are America's team and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
play connect the dots with san diego, denver, kc, and NO on a map and you have established their territory.

the phoenix cardinals are still thanking their lucky stars for warner and coach wiz, or else they would still be second fiddle to the cowboys in their own town (actually, they still probably are).

i wonder if this study takes into account fans in mexico?
That's got to be the answer they polled Texas, Mexico, and our 12 million illegal immifrants. After all Dallas is a "safe haven city" for ilegals.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #9
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Excellent point, and one I had never considered. That's a lot of area to draw from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
And not to throw my gender under the bus, but they couldn't name more than two players on the team if their lives depended on it.

It's a trendy pick without any substance.
That's so true, and something I've tested multiple times. It usually results in back pedaling and excuses as to why they haven't had a chance to catch the games lately, so some of the players have slipped their mind. But Aikman and Emmitt, and Irvin sure were great! Give me a break.

I travel all over the place. And with the exception of actual cities where teams reside, I see more Steelers bumper stickers, license plates, hats and shirts than any other team.

And most of my traveling is done in Oklahoma and Texas, where Dallas is supposedly by far the most popular team.

The cowboys suck.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

like Facebook, this post needs a dislike button. haha!