Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Stopping Michael Turner a priority for Steelers' defense

Stopping Michael Turner a priority for Steelers' defense
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_698998.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 11, 2010

Asked to name a running back who reminds him of Atlanta Falcons bruiser Michael Turner, safety Troy Polamalu thought of someone the entire Steeler Nation can relate to.

"If I can think of anybody, it would be Jerome Bettis," Polamalu said Friday, in advance of Sunday's 1 p.m. opener against Atlanta at Heinz Field. "Jerome ran with great balance and quickness, and he used his upper body to protect his legs. People would just bounce off him. Turner has huge legs, and he bounces off people. I would say that's the best comparison."

Entering his third season as the Falcons' feature back, Turner (5-10, 244 pounds) has similar physical dimensions to Bettis but lacks his staying power.

Turner had a spectacular campaign in 2008 when he rushed for 1,699 yards and 17 touchdowns. Last year, a high ankle sprain limited Turner to 871 yards and 10 touchdowns in 11 games.

Still, the Steelers regard Turner as a key to stopping Atlanta's attack and every bit as dangerous as quarterback Matt Ryan.

"He's an awesome running back, a tough guy to tackle," Polamalu said. "From what I've seen on film, it's going to be a huge challenge for us."

Turner may be a big back, but he also has big-play capabilities from his blend of power and speed.

He has recorded a run of at least 58 yards in each of the last five seasons, including an 83-yard touchdown burst with San Diego in 2005, and he has never averaged less than 4.5 yards a carry in the NFL.

"He's a guy you've got to wrap up. He's not one of those guys you can hit and expect him to fall down. He continues to move forward," outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley said. "We've got to hit him together as a unit."

Added defensive end Aaron Smith: "He has a combination of size, speed, strength and vision. He hits the hole and finds the opening."

Atlanta coach Mike Smith said Turner worked on his body in the offseason and is leaner and faster while still maintaining his power running style.

"He is lighter than what he started the season at last year," Smith said. "I know Michael is such a passionate guy about playing the game. He doesn't want to be known as a guy that was a one-year flash. We've seen nothing that says he won't be ready to go for the long haul this year."

Stopping Turner is imperative for the Steelers because shutting down the run is the foundation of their defense.

"We can't allow them to run the ball effectively, because they can always throw the ball," defensive end Aaron Smith said. "We can't allow them to be a two-headed dragon."

While the Steelers respect Turner's qualities as a runner, Woodley thinks it's premature to classify him in the elite category.

"I watch 'SportsCenter' a lot," Woodley said. "All I see them talking about is (Tennessee's) Chris Johnson and (Minnesota's) Adrian Peterson. I guess that's how I sum that up."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,154 Times in 479 Posts
Default Re: Stopping Michael Turner a priority for Steelers' defense

Absolutely. The Steelers reiterate time and time again that they don't worry much so about the pass and are built to stop the run to be successful first and foremost. To have a dominating defense, you must be able to stop the run, period, and with the master mind of the zone, 3-4 blitz like LeBeau brings to the table, the Steelers are always in the mix of MEAN and ANGRY ran defensive. Something Pittsburgh is built around.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
urgle burgle
Starter

Member Number: 12834
My Mood: Confused

We have had, what, one 100 yd rusher in the past 3 yrs? In my opinion, against much better than Turner have we shut down. Aaaron's back, Troy's back, and we have some decent youth to rotate in and out. We shut down the run first, and deal w/the pass afterwards. That's Lebeau's D. I'm not particularyly worried.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
joeyssteelcurtain
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11092

I say he will only have about 50 yards

"I'm BLACK and GOLD until I'm dead and cold"
joeyssteelcurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,154 Times in 479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyssteelcurtain View Post
I say he will only have about 50 yards
Pretty much the norm of what we DO and expect to give up. If that's the case, that means turning them into one dimension, and forcing Ryan into making plays against a 3-4, one he has NEVER seen yet. He's a 3rd year player, LeBeau will turn up the heat.