Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Help Center > Feedback & Support


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Slanted August
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 53
Member Number: 13535
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Censorship Criteria?

HometownGal,

This is the second thread that has been locked that I have created. Please let me know what rule I had violated. I am careful in my approach to be as professional as possible but I feel that I am being blacklisted for something without warning.

Is there a section to "post all positive threads here" and constructively critical threads" there?

I did not come here to pick a fight but to gain more perspectives (than what I usually observe or read) from other football fans.

Please give me a "dont go there" list so we are not wasting each other's time.

Learning to be a more board freindly poster.

SA
Slanted August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend
 
HometownGal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 21,479
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Censorship Criteria?

First off - I moved this thread to the Feedback forum where it belongs.

Second - If you had violated a rule by posting a particular thread, you would have been warned or infracted and the thread would have been deleted.

Third - there is nothing wrong with posting constructive criticism on any topic, player, coach, etc. When that constructive criticism becomes DESTRUCTIVE, as it had in the thread you posted, then it becomes a problem. The topic of Bruce Arians (and several of the Steelers players) around here ignites flame wars because there is a small fraction of members who believe BA should be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail, and a large fraction who don't. We've had "BA sucks " threads clogging up the Steelers forum since TC began and many complaints about the same broken record being played over and over and over again. I strongly believed that the thread you started was going nowhere fast and was once again - the same broken record being played - and that is why I locked it down. When I first saw it, I just knew it was going to turn south but I let it go for a few days to prove me wrong, which it didn't. As Mods, Gary and I have the discretion of deciding which threads are going to create problems and either deleting them or locking them down. I viewed your thread as a thread that was going to create yet another BA melee and as such, I closed it down.

Last but not least, this board is becoming a breeding ground for whining and negativity and coming off of a Super Bowl winning season, I find that disgusting and it is dragging this board down, which neither Gary or I will allow to happen. We spend countless hours moderating this board by the standards our Board Administrator set when this board was birthed almost 5 years ago, and believe it or not - we do this on OUR FREE TIME and voluntarily.

This board is, for the most part, unlike any other Steelers or sports BB out there. We welcome all NFL fans and ask that they be respected as much as Steelers fans unless they are here to stir the pot. We also pride ourselves in trying to maintain a "family friendly" atmosphere, as we have members of all ages - from 12 to 70. We do not promote vulgar language, porn, or flame wars like some of the other boards seem to do.

All I can tell ya, bud, is that if you have a problem with the way this board is moderated, you are free to PM the Administrator and lodge your complaints.
__________________


The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Slanted August
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 53
Member Number: 13535
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Censorship Criteria?

HometownGal,

I apologize for my gross error and the poor judgement that I used in the placement of my thread. I was specifically referring to what Steeler Personnel that is allowed by the Board Police (not what version of Vbulletin this board uses or the size of the server database but its your gig so do what you want.)

If you insist on being the referee and taking the game away from the players then please, please, please compose a list of what players, topics, etc will be allowed on your lockdown list.

What if I wanted to write abou Neil Odonnell and question his judgement on his hot read to Corey Holiday in the Super Bowl? The thread progresses and divides into people being critical of the quarterback and people being critical of the wide receiver and the remaining population conludes that the QB/WR were not on the same page when compared to a Thigpen, Mills, Johnson, Hastings relationship.

You being the arbitrator decide to take control and place the thread on lockdown because you do not agree with what is your interpreatation of a "degrading thread".

How is this fair in a debate when you have ultimate control on a topic that does not: reference vulgar language, insults one's race, includes graphic references to one' mother, etc?

If you feel that this is what you yourself decides then why is there not a code of conduct agreement that the individual must click on when logging in to accept terms and conditions of who or what we are allowed to discuss in compliance to your standards?

That is wonderful that you volunteer your time and effort to this great cause but correct me if I am wrong....were you forced against your will to do this?

You refer to me as "bud" and if I have some type of problem that I can take it up with the admin. Please leave emotion out of this.

Look, if I do not like this board I can leave. I chose to participate because of some of most passionate brothers/sisters of Steeler Nation reside here.

All that I have asked and will ask again is what Steeler personnel and what topics are not allowable for conversation on this board? You have rules but you are too gray. If I am to follow the rules that you have created than should I not receive a black and white list from you or do I just generate posts blindly not knowing or having control of what you do not find agreement with? I want to be productive and stimulate points for contention not altercation.

Thank you for reading

SA
Slanted August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
SteelersFever
Founder
 
SteelersFever's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,038
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1
Thanks: 13
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Censorship Criteria?

Read: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=354
SteelersFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Slanted August
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 53
Member Number: 13535
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Censorship Criteria?

SteelerFever,

Thank you for the information! If you peek right now, however you would have to basically lockdown at least 1/2 of what is being posted this very minute and I do not see one locked thread.

Subjects which have already been discussed numerous times (please search first).

I did a search and there are countless threads referring to Sweed as a bust.

I do not want to rehash my point but what players, coaches, etc should I use caution in your forum so that I do not receive probation status. I do feel I need to walk on my tippytoes because I can be accused as an instigator just by what topics I bring up into this forum.

For instance, would permission be granted in discussing the Steelers Redzone efficiency or am I just putting more gas on the fire?

Thanks for reading

SA
Slanted August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Censorship Criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanted August View Post
HometownGal,

I apologize for my gross error and the poor judgement that I used in the placement of my thread. I was specifically referring to what Steeler Personnel that is allowed by the Board Police (not what version of Vbulletin this board uses or the size of the server database but its your gig so do what you want.)

If you insist on being the referee and taking the game away from the players then please, please, please compose a list of what players, topics, etc will be allowed on your lockdown list.

What if I wanted to write abou Neil Odonnell and question his judgement on his hot read to Corey Holiday in the Super Bowl? The thread progresses and divides into people being critical of the quarterback and people being critical of the wide receiver and the remaining population conludes that the QB/WR were not on the same page when compared to a Thigpen, Mills, Johnson, Hastings relationship.

You being the arbitrator decide to take control and place the thread on lockdown because you do not agree with what is your interpreatation of a "degrading thread".

How is this fair in a debate when you have ultimate control on a topic that does not: reference vulgar language, insults one's race, includes graphic references to one' mother, etc?

If you feel that this is what you yourself decides then why is there not a code of conduct agreement that the individual must click on when logging in to accept terms and conditions of who or what we are allowed to discuss in compliance to your standards?

That is wonderful that you volunteer your time and effort to this great cause but correct me if I am wrong....were you forced against your will to do this?

You refer to me as "bud" and if I have some type of problem that I can take it up with the admin. Please leave emotion out of this.

Look, if I do not like this board I can leave. I chose to participate because of some of most passionate brothers/sisters of Steeler Nation reside here.

All that I have asked and will ask again is what Steeler personnel and what topics are not allowable for conversation on this board? You have rules but you are too gray. If I am to follow the rules that you have created than should I not receive a black and white list from you or do I just generate posts blindly not knowing or having control of what you do not find agreement with? I want to be productive and stimulate points for contention not altercation.

Thank you for reading

SA
I know you are new here. But may I remind you, that you have, in essence, walked into a local wateringhole. There is a history, relational dynamics, and friendships here. Some of the most heated battles will happen between people who actually KNOW each other off the boards and are friends.

all of that said, hang out for a bit and observe, just as you would do in a local gathering where you are the outsider at first. You'll quickly know everything you are asking about now.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Slanted August
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 53
Member Number: 13535
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Censorship Criteria?

Thanks for the advice Preacher....

I think I am going to stay passive and try to stay out of the hornet's nests. I have been to almost everyboard out there and this is the one that I believe is the most knowledgeable about football in general. I am open for change on my perspectives on certain Steeler challenges.

I just get frustrated when the plug is pulled without warning but now am starting to be aware that there is a lot of history here. I am a trib refugee still feeling a little displaced.
Slanted August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Censorship Criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanted August View Post
Thanks for the advice Preacher....

I think I am going to stay passive and try to stay out of the hornet's nests. I have been to almost everyboard out there and this is the one that I believe is the most knowledgeable about football in general. I am open for change on my perspectives on certain Steeler challenges.

I just get frustrated when the plug is pulled without warning but now am starting to be aware that there is a lot of history here. I am a trib refugee still feeling a little displaced.
LOL.

Well, after this last loss, sit around tonight and tomorrow and watch. You'll learn a heck of a lot about this nice dysfunctional but fun family we have here!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend
 
HometownGal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 21,479
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Censorship Criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanted August View Post
Thank you for the information! If you peek right now, however you would have to basically lockdown at least 1/2 of what is being posted this very minute and I do not see one locked thread.

Subjects which have already been discussed numerous times (please search first).

I did a search and there are countless threads referring to Sweed as a bust.
I merged all of the Sweed threads together last night as soon as I came on the board, fyi.

As our Administrator suggested in his post - read our COC with regard to posting multiple threads on the same topic.
__________________


The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:08 AM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,151
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 879
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,580 Posts
Default Re: Censorship Criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
First off - I moved this thread to the Feedback forum where it belongs.

Second - If you had violated a rule by posting a particular thread, you would have been warned or infracted and the thread would have been deleted.

Third - there is nothing wrong with posting constructive criticism on any topic, player, coach, etc. When that constructive criticism becomes DESTRUCTIVE, as it had in the thread you posted, then it becomes a problem. The topic of Bruce Arians (and several of the Steelers players) around here ignites flame wars because there is a small fraction of members who believe BA should be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail, and a large fraction who don't. We've had "BA sucks " threads clogging up the Steelers forum since TC began and many complaints about the same broken record being played over and over and over again. I strongly believed that the thread you started was going nowhere fast and was once again - the same broken record being played - and that is why I locked it down. When I first saw it, I just knew it was going to turn south but I let it go for a few days to prove me wrong, which it didn't. As Mods, Gary and I have the discretion of deciding which threads are going to create problems and either deleting them or locking them down. I viewed your thread as a thread that was going to create yet another BA melee and as such, I closed it down.

Last but not least, this board is becoming a breeding ground for whining and negativity and coming off of a Super Bowl winning season, I find that disgusting and it is dragging this board down, which neither Gary or I will allow to happen. We spend countless hours moderating this board by the standards our Board Administrator set when this board was birthed almost 5 years ago, and believe it or not - we do this on OUR FREE TIME and voluntarily.

This board is, for the most part, unlike any other Steelers or sports BB out there. We welcome all NFL fans and ask that they be respected as much as Steelers fans unless they are here to stir the pot. We also pride ourselves in trying to maintain a "family friendly" atmosphere, as we have members of all ages - from 12 to 70. We do not promote vulgar language, porn, or flame wars like some of the other boards seem to do.

All I can tell ya, bud, is that if you have a problem with the way this board is moderated, you are free to PM the Administrator and lodge your complaints.
attention !!!

1000 obama whine threads = good .......arians thread = whining and negativity ...any libs arguing with a republican will be banned.for even the slightest violation we perceive !!!

attention !!! ... any threads with content that gary and i disagree with will be locked down immediately... anyone questioning our hypocritical ways shall be banned...that is all.
__________________
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” ― James Madison

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts