Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
rgleason
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 784
Default ARE says he's willing to take less to stay.

Didnt see anyone had post this yet. Got this from ProFootballTalk.com. Pretty reliable site.

RANDLE EL REALIZES LESS COULD BE MORE

Steelers receiver Antwaan Randle El, the darling of Super Bowl XL who soon could cash in via free agency even under the restrictive terms of the current CBA, possibly has studied the examples of past Super Bowl Cinderellas like Larry Brown and Desmond Howard.

Both parlayed their success in the ultimate football spotlight into big contracts, and both fizzled in their new homes.

Maybe that's why Randle El now says he'd take less money to stay in Pittsburgh, with the Steelers.

"If [the Steelers] are a million dollars off, that's not enough to make me leave," Randle El said, according to The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "If I'm the No. 2 receiver and the punt returner, and, certainly, I have the opportunity to play, then a million-dollar difference won't make me leave here. Why would I want to move my family if I didn't have to?"

The problem, however, is that even without an extended CBA the total package offered to Randle El likely will be more than $1 million greater than Pittsburgh's best offer. We've also heard that the Steelers don't necessarily regard Randle El as a solid No. 2 receiver -- which might have something to do with the fact that the Steelers will in the end offer much less than other teams might.

Those interested in Randle El reportedly include the Bears, Redskins, and Eagles. (They might not be as interested as Randle El hopes, however, if he continues to mention the contract Reggie Wayne recently signed with the Colts, which included a $13.5 million signing bonus.)

Our guess? Randle El won't be back in Pittsburgh. The team can draft a new punt returner, or they can give Ricardo Colclough a try. As to filling El's spot on the offensive depth chart, there are plenty of options for replacing a guy who caught less than 40 passes a year ago -- and he ain't the only non-quarterback on the team who can throw the ball once in a while.

Still, if he leaves it'd be a shame. This new generation of Super Bowl-winning Steelers will spawn another wave of players who will be set up financially after they quit playing, if they stay with the team until they retire. Antwaan, in our opinion, should try to look 20 years down the road before becoming just another guy who bounces from team to team.

Twenty years from now, he'll probably be wishing he had.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,159 Times in 2,652 Posts
Default Re: ARE says he's willing to take less to stay.

his situationf (and styles of play) is awfully similar to az akir hakim leaving the rams after their sb run, only to fizzle out. randel el should look into this.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
drizze99
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1070

I agree with the report saying that he is not a solid #2. Let's face it, he a nice player to have on your team but he is not a game breaker. I appreciate what he brings to the table, but it's not #2 money. With Ward getting a big contract last year, it's highly unlikely the Steelers will pull the wallet out 2 years in a row for a skilled position... and frankly, I don't want them to. IMHO, we'll be fine with Cedric, Morgan & Washington and whoever we draft.

"You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent." ~ Mike Tomlin
drizze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

See, this is what I have been thinking in the back of my mind since the Super Bowl. I remember my dad told me had Kordell Stewart stayed as Slash, he would have had a 10-15 year career and would have been the only player in the modern era to do it all in his career. He would have revolutionized a position like no other had. Endorsments would have been theiur his whole career.

Randle El knows he is a mini-slash guy. He knows Bill Cowher can get every inch of his talent out playing in the Steelers offense. I am sure he has seen the Az, the peerless price and all these players who went for the money only to get cut or released after a year or 2. He actually would make more money in the long run with Pitt then if he took big money in Chicago or that rat whole in Philly.

All this talk about MAKE THE MONEY WHEN YOU CAN, doesnt work in the NFL, the money isnt guarenteed. El is guarenteed to play and be effective in Pitt, not in Chicago or Philly or wherever.

Last edited by OX1947; 03-01-2006 at 03:09 PM.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

I get a bit of ridicule from people but I honestly think Kordell is a huge talent wasted. In that slash role he was a game breaker. Hell, as a wide reciever he had the skills and speed of a #1 guy.

Even during his one great year at QB I still thought he should have been a wide out.

I don't think Antwaan has all the skills of Kordell or his speed, I do think he's an asset. I also think he won't like the offer the Steelers make and will end up elsewhere.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I`ve always said that El is a great third reciever, and that Hines is the best number two in the league, we need a number one. If EL returns. El Yes. If not thank you antway!
Old 03-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,797 Times in 2,680 Posts

Unfortunately, the collapse of the CBA negotiations probably mean the Steelers will not even be tendering offers to Hope or ARE. Steelers need to get under the cap ASAP.

I am afraid letting Hartings go is an easy way to meet the #, but they then have no $$ to pay any increase to any FA.

ARE may find nobody is touching FAs until it is clear in several weeks there will be no new CBA.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #8
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Look for El to possibly sign a 2 yr deal or so maybe for less money, and then try and cash in in the future since their doesnt appear to be anything left a cap free future ahead. I'd love to have him back.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

We will still be below $5million to whatever El will be offered.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

We'll see what El is saying when teams start dangling fat offers in front of his face. Hines Ward got 9 million? Ed Bouchette stated today on the KDKA evening news that El is looking for around 7 or 8. If that is the case, It's not going to happen nor should it happen. The Rooney's will not give El that type of money. In my opinion, Randle El is gone.