Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504
Default Re: ARE says he's willing to take less to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947
See, this is what I have been thinking in the back of my mind since the Super Bowl. I remember my dad told me had Kordell Stewart stayed as Slash, he would have had a 10-15 year career and would have been the only player in the modern era to do it all in his career. He would have revolutionized a position like no other had. Endorsments would have been theiur his whole career.

My dad said the same thing back when we had Kordell. If he had played slash he would have been great because the other team would never know who the ball was going to get hiked to. For me it was like I woke up one day and Kordell was gone and I still don't know where he went or what happened to him. It would seem obvious to me that it could work out greater for you if you take less of a salary but have the better chance of getting a ring or just being successful in general. Hey, it worked for Bettis and we have a chance next year it is all a matter of how this off season works out with who goes and who stays.

BuFu
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #12
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
We'll see what El is saying when teams start dangling fat offers in front of his face. Hines Ward got 9 million? Ed Bouchette stated today on the KDKA evening news that El is looking for around 7 or 8. If that is the case, It's not going to happen nor should it happen. The Rooney's will not give El that type of money. In my opinion, Randle El is gone.
No team in the NFL will give El 7 or 8 mil or even close to that. The most he would get and this is a HUGE stretch, is 4 or 5 mil.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #13
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
We'll see what El is saying when teams start dangling fat offers in front of his face. Hines Ward got 9 million? Ed Bouchette stated today on the KDKA evening news that El is looking for around 7 or 8. If that is the case, It's not going to happen nor should it happen. The Rooney's will not give El that type of money. In my opinion, Randle El is gone.

No way Randle El gets 7-8 million........he would be the most grossly overpaid receiver/returner in the league.
Randle El will continue to thrive in the Steeler system if he decides to stay but look for him to fizzle out like most other Steelers who go elsewhere thinking the grass is greener on the other side.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #14
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947
No team in the NFL will give El 7 or 8 mil or even close to that. The most he would get and this is a HUGE stretch, is 4 or 5 mil.
Yeah! 4-5 million is more like it.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #15
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Like I said, just stating what Ed Bouchette stated tonight on KDKA. Keep in mind folks that he did not give a source to his "seven to eight million dollar" statement.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #16
TexaSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
his situationf (and styles of play) is awfully similar to az akir hakim leaving the rams after their sb run, only to fizzle out. randel el should look into this.
Except Hakim had terrible hands.
TexaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #17
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default A Number One Receiver??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I`ve always said that El is a great third reciever, and that Hines is the best number two in the league, we need a number one. If EL returns. El Yes. If not thank you antway!

So you're saying we need a No 1 receiver to win the Super Bowl?????

Hmmm. Let me think about that for a day...No. A hour. No. A minute. No. A second.

Ok done. I checked (after dusting off) the history books and concluded that we don't need "a number one". I had to go all the way back to the 2006 Super Bowl. But it is there in Black and Gold.

What we do need is a number one tailback. Take a look at our post-season rushing numbers and please be seated when viewing the woefully low numbers.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #18
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323
Default Re: A Number One Receiver??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
What we do need is a number one tailback. Take a look at our post-season rushing numbers and please be seated when viewing the woefully low numbers.
That was actually what put us over the top, but you know that. The teams we played feared our running attack so much, they built their gameplan around defending against it, then Ben ate them alive.

Fast Willy earned his keep last season in my eyes, and if Duce can EVER get healthy, we've got the exact same tools in the garage for next season already in place.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #19
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: A Number One Receiver??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIIOwheelz
That was actually what put us over the top, but you know that. The teams we played feared our running attack so much, they built their gameplan around defending against it, then Ben ate them alive.

Fast Willy earned his keep last season in my eyes, and if Duce can EVER get healthy, we've got the exact same tools in the garage for next season already in place.

I like Parker. He certainly earned his keep I think in the last game of the previous season in Buffalo. I am not convinced about his durability and more importantly consistency. As a One-Two punch he'd be lethal much like USC had with Reggie and LenDale.

The IF that comes with Duce will never go away. He is costing far too much in money and medical.

My point is that more production and consistency at tailback means the need for hyper-quality (i.e. Moss, T.O.) receivers is small. Run the right passing routes w/ the ability to make adjustments and catch the damn ball when you can read the fine print on the pigskin. Economy has been the Steeler way at the receiver position. Hines Ward is an anomaly is so many ways...on the field and off.

I think they'll find ARE's replacement with relative ease. His numbers are actually pretty weak. And with the players union about throw ice water on themselves, the chances that ARE stays put are improving.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #20
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

profootballtalk.com is NOT a relaible source.

But I do buy this story. And 4-5 mil sounds right...and about 2-3 more than the Steelers are probably willing to pay.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote