Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Head-to-head: Steelers CB Bryant McFadden vs. Falcons WR Roddy White

Head-to-head: Steelers CB Bryant McFadden vs. Falcons WR Roddy White
Sunday, September 12, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10255/1086918-66.stm

Dick LeBeau is not the least bit concerned that cornerback Bryant McFadden, back after a year with the Arizona Cardinals, was repeatedly picked on and beaten for touchdowns in playoff games last year against the Green Bay Packers and New Orleans Saints.

He is more enamored with the way McFadden played for four years with the Steelers -- one of the reasons he was brought back in a draft-day trade with the Cardinals.

"My memory is not that short," said LeBeau, who begins his seventh season as defensive coordinator in his second stint with the Steelers. "I remember the Indy [playoff] game [in 2005] where he picked off the ball in end zone. And before the guy missed the field goal and they threw deep into the end zone, he made a tremendous battling play at the point of reception, the kind of play Indianapolis catches.

"But they didn't catch it against us because our corner, in this case B-Mac, battled all the way to ground. I remember those things."

In McFadden's defense, he played with a bruised sternum and shoulder injury in those playoff games and, by his admission, should not have been playing against the Packers and Saints.

That, though, didn't bother the Steelers. They wanted a proven cornerback opposite Ike Taylor after William Gay, McFadden's replacement, struggled and was eventually benched in his first year as a starter.

And they wanted someone to help a pass defense that uncharacteristically yielded too many big pass plays in 2009 -- a major violation of LeBeau's No. 1 mantra: keep the ball in front of you.

After allowing 23 pass plays of 20 yards or longer and just two longer than 40 yards in 2008, the Steelers allowed twice as many pass plays of 20 yards or longer (46) and nine of 40 yards or longer in 2009. They dropped from No. 1 in the league in pass defense in 2008 to No. 16 in 2009.

Enter McFadden, who will start at right cornerback against the Atlanta Falcons at 1 p.m. today at Heinz Field.

"You always need a player like Bryant," LeBeau said. "He has excellent size, he's a physical corner and he plays equally well against the run and pass. He's got command of our defense and he was brought up in our system. It's all plus-plus-plus with him."

The Falcons have two Pro Bowl receivers for quarterback Matt Ryan -- wideout Roddy White (85 catches, 11 TDs in 2009) and tight end Tony Gonzalez, who needs one more catch for career No. 1,000.

In the past, the Steelers might have assigned Taylor to shadow White, who has 45 catches of 25 yards or longer in five seasons with the Falcons. But, when they have done that in the past, coach Mike Tomlin has acknowledged that the Steelers would rotate one of their safeties toward the receiver Taylor is following -- a tactic they might discard this season.

"With the group of guys around here, no one person matters more than the other," McFadden said. "Everybody works together. This is a team effort and that's what makes our defense so good."

At least, that's what the secondary is hoping.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10255...#ixzz0zHx3fnnu
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
CLStan7
Water Boy

Member Number: 16711
Default Re: Head-to-head: Steelers CB Bryant McFadden vs. Falcons WR Roddy White

i have high hopes for McFadden but i still cant forget about those playoff games last year. he looked terrible against green bay offense but like b-mac said, he was injured and wasn't suppose to play so imma go with that and give him the benefit of the doubt
CLStan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #3
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: Head-to-head: Steelers CB Bryant McFadden vs. Falcons WR Roddy White

How can you not like the return of B-Mac?

There was a more-than-noticeable drop-off from him to Gay.

So what if he had some bad games with Arizona? Hurt or not.

What matters most is how he played when he was here... In the 'Burgh.

I'm pretty sure that level of play was MUCH better than that of Gay.

So, yeah.

Welcome back, B-Mac. I believe, nyucka.
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Head-to-head: Steelers CB Bryant McFadden vs. Falcons WR Roddy White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHaullace View Post
How can you not like the return of B-Mac?

There was a more-than-noticeable drop-off from him to Gay.

So what if he had some bad games with Arizona? Hurt or not.

What matters most is how he played when he was here... In the 'Burgh.

I'm pretty sure that level of play was MUCH better than that of Gay.

So, yeah.

Welcome back, B-Mac. I believe, nyucka.
Gay is not that bad....Our whole Defense had issues last year...
Old 09-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

I sincerely hope that was an aberration last year....it had to be
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Downbylaw
Banned

Member Number: 16635

Personally, I would rather see Lewis in there. Bmac is too short and too slow. He was getting ate up in SB43 as well.
Downbylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
Ruffneck525
Water Boy

Member Number: 13902

please I much prefer Bmac cover skills over Ike " I can't cover anybody" taylor.

As much as IKE get's burned on the field and plays soft coverage but BMAC get's flammed for a few plays.

BMAC is our most consistent corner by far... Ike will look ok one play and then the next two plays look lost and 10 yards away from the reciever then throw a punch because he can't cover.
Ruffneck525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Downbylaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffneck525 View Post
please I much prefer Bmac cover skills over Ike " I can't cover anybody" taylor.

As much as IKE get's burned on the field and plays soft coverage but BMAC get's flammed for a few plays.

BMAC is our most consistent corner by far... Ike will look ok one play and then the next two plays look lost and 10 yards away from the reciever then throw a punch because he can't cover.
I strongly disagree. Ike is our best corner by far and EVERY exec and coach in the league will agree.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Downbylaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downbylaw View Post
Personally, I would rather see Lewis in there. Bmac is too short and too slow. He was getting ate up in SB43 as well.
After today performance, I take this statement back.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,195 Times in 3,490 Posts

nfl.com statsline show b-mac leading the team in tackles with 12 and 2 assists.

timmons was next closest with 9.

hell of a job bryant. welcome back and keep keepin that ball in front of you!

Quote:
After today performance, I take this statement back.
you cant. its already there. own it.