Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
View Poll Results: What sould Tomlin do?
Stick with Dixon 31 72.09%
Go to Batch for the rest of the games. 12 27.91%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #51
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329
Default Re: Official Time for Batch vote

Our 3rd string QB was 18-26 for 256 in his 2nd NFL start and you're calling for his head?
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #52
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lakelander View Post
In fairness, Dixon was pinned inside the 10 yard line in the 1st Half almost every drive ...

If you are going to play to lose, you let Dixon make his mistakes down deep in our own end ...

The coaching staff played it to win at home ... they played it conservatively ...

Who can really complain about that?

Dixon needs to stay in there ... he needs to grow through confidence and experience ...

His QB rating is higher than Matt Ryan's already ...
Good point.... I think they limited him to what he could have done with his legs, but your right they played it conservatively.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #53
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
Our 3rd string QB was 18-26 for 256 in his 2nd NFL start and you're calling for his head?
I don't care about the stats. I saw the game. Our offense was severely limited because of Dixon and you know it. Even when they made it easy for im and all he had to do was make short throws on third down, he was botching them. He personally killed like the first 4 drives.

It feels weird to ave a whole team ready to play and have one guy hold you back.

Now...he did admit to being "excited" so if that's it and he can shake it off, fine but I don't want another game like that. Usually you need more than 9 points to stay in the game. Maybe Batch should play 3rd downs for him. lol

I'll admit the reason he is not prepared is because he seldom got to play with the first team during the preseason ...in the games or in practice. I didn't like how the Steelers handled preseason. They were more worried about getting wins for confidence than developing Dixon. When he was in there, they could have unleashed him and let him make his mistakes but instead they were handing it off 7 times in a row to people like Justin Vincent who they knew had no chance to make the team.

I wanted Dixon to have his oops moments in preseason and learn but maybe they thought that would affect his confidence too muc.

I don't mind giving im one more shot...and I hope you guys are right and he can step up. If Leftwich came back though, I'd definitely play him.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #54
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
I don't care about the stats. I saw the game. Our offense was severely limited because of Dixon and you know it. Even when they made it easy for im and all he had to do was make short throws on third down, he was botching them. He personally killed like the first 4 drives.

You must have wanted to end it all after Ben's first few starts.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #55
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
You must have wanted to end it all after Ben's first few starts.
No...for Ben I thought we were developing a QB for the future so it was OK. If I thought Dixon was going to be our QB of the future, I wouldn't complain at all. In fact, I'd give up a whole season to let him learn "growing pains" and hope we'd be better next year.

This is not the case.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #56
joeyssteelcurtain
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11092

Wow I thought it would be closer then that

"I'm BLACK and GOLD until I'm dead and cold"
joeyssteelcurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #57
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downbylaw View Post
I love when I said Batch should start due to experience and most were against me. Oh how the tides have changed. Again. all we need is a LITTLE from the qb. We are good. Ben has been winning like this MOST of his career. You guys act like this is new. Go back to last year and look at the Bears, 2nd Browns game, 2nd Ravens game, Vikings game and Titans game. Offensively it looked just like today.
Ben has never looked that clueless on the field. The amount of catering we had to do with Dixon was ridiculous. Not only did we have to run the ball heavily, but we had to design routes where our receivers had to cross right in front of him because he was unable to make throws along the sideline. Ben has always been a high risk, high reward quarterback. Dixon is playing a low risk, no reward game that somehow turns risky because he can't throw.

I will say that we need to stick with Dixon even though he's hindering the team. Batch will not play any better.

I'm praying we beat Tennessee and expecting to beat Tampa. No way in hell we beat Baltimore with Dixon.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #58
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyssteelcurtain View Post
Wow I thought it would be closer then that
People are feeling euphoria from the win. I was shocked to see Dixon had 26 pass attempts. It felt more like 15. I wish I could find out how many of the 4/14 3rd downs were pass attempts.

Dixon is just nervous and afraid to throw a pick. He still looks down his receiver. With a better secondary, those will be picks.

The only way to make Dixon better is to increase the called passes more but have more roll-outs and have Dixon run about 1/3 of the time. That would make them nervous.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #59
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
He won that ring as a back up to Favre. 1987 Ditka had enough of him, and even the president was pissed off at him, so they traded him to the chargers, when the chargers were in a rut. The players and coaches hated him, during the next season, he was still an asshole, and he played medicore, similar to his medicore playing in chicago. And was sat for the final 5 games of the season, released after the season. Went to philly to be a back up, and nothing more. No one wanted to start him.

Winning a superbowl ring as a backup doesn't make you good in anyway. For Favre got a long with him and requested he'd stay the backup there when he arrived in Greenbay. He retired after winning the ring. Not after disrespecting the packers by wearing his bears jersey to the white house, though he said it was because he never got tot he white house as a bear because the trip was cancelled, it was unexcepted, and packers probably were going to trade him, and to not go though that again, he just retired.

Oh and his key to winning for the bears in 1985 season wasn't that big, the bears had a huge offense at the begining of the season, but it completely died out the rest of the season, in the playoffs the defense bailed them out many of times, much like steelers offense had to be bailed out in 2008.

Do some freaking research before you challenge someone about things you think you know
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote