Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Busy
Default Re: what do we do with lefty when he comes back

Sit him when he comes back...too slow footed with our OL. Good arm, good at reading coverage, just not enough time behind our beat up line.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Can we get the Mission Impossible guys to make a Leftwich mask and give it to Ben so he can play?
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,901 Posts

If Arians & Tomlin are not going to modify the playbook to address Dixon's skills (threat to run) while covering his weaknesses (poor location on any passes other than dump offs except for the strike to Wallace and the sideline pass to Ward while Dixon was heading towards the sideline ) might as well bring Leftwich back in week 3 after what i anticipate will be a thrashing in Nashville on Sunday

Hard to see how Leftwich could have done any worse on those 2 sacks that bookended the 2 minute warning and could have lost the game but for another quality Sepulveda punt and Troy's sublime INT.

Dixon did not lose the game but no drama (as opposed to one horrible pick and three near misses) is what is called for if Leftwich is healthy for Tampa Bay
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
drizze99
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1070

Wow, how quick we are to dump on the rookie. Yes, Dixon is still a rookie in my eyes....

When Lefty comes back, I think he should find a nice place on the bench. Listen people, that was Dixon's 2ND NFL START!! He *should* be 2-0 as a starter had the defense not collapsed last year in that Monday night game DD got to start. This kid HAS TALENT. He was nervous yesterday and anyone that is a rookie/inexperienced is going to be in that situation.

He just needs to settle down and throw the ball like he knows how and forget about trying to be perfect with every throw. We'll see a better Dixon this Sunday. Will it be enough to win? I have no idea because the Titans have a RB that is kind of OK.

"You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent." ~ Mike Tomlin
drizze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizze99 View Post
Wow, how quick we are to dump on the rookie. Yes, Dixon is still a rookie in my eyes....

When Lefty comes back, I think he should find a nice place on the bench. Listen people, that was Dixon's 2ND NFL START!! He *should* be 2-0 as a starter had the defense not collapsed last year in that Monday night game DD got to start. This kid HAS TALENT. He was nervous yesterday and anyone that is a rookie/inexperienced is going to be in that situation.

He just needs to settle down and throw the ball like he knows how and forget about trying to be perfect with every throw. We'll see a better Dixon this Sunday. Will it be enough to win? I have no idea because the Titans have a RB that is kind of OK.
The D giveth and the D taketh away - it collapsed in the Baltimore game but I would not count on the opposing team being held to single digits, which is what it took to get Dixon to OT

I am not dumping on Dixon given his lack of experience - i am dumping on the play calling not matching the talents and weaknesses of the QB

You simply cannot take 2 consecutive sacks with 2 minutes to go as Dixon did yesterday (although the pass play with 2:05 to go on second and 5 was an odd call that contributed to the problem) -but that is what you get with a novice QB. What you also get is running ability with Dixon - if Arians wil not open up the playbook to take advantage of Dixon's strengths (I thought the reason more roll outs with an option to run were not called in Dixon's firs start was that there was no back-up last November in Baltimore if dixion was clobbered) then why start him in an offense designed for a dropback passer that is better suited to Leftwich or Batch
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #16
drizze99
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The D giveth and the D taketh away - it collapsed in the Baltimore game but I would not count on the opposing team being held to single digits, which is what it took to get Dixon to OT

I am not dumping on Dixon given his lack of experience - i am dumping on the play calling not matching the talents and weaknesses of the QB

You simply cannot take 2 consecutive sacks with 2 minutes to go as Dixon did yesterday (although the pass play with 2:05 to go on second and 5 was an odd call that contributed to the problem) -but that is what you get with a novice QB. What you also get is running ability with Dixon - if Arians wil not open up the playbook to take advantage of Dixon's strengths (I thought the reason more roll outs with an option to run were not called in Dixon's firs start was that there was no back-up last November in Baltimore if dixion was clobbered) then why start him in an offense designed for a dropback passer that is better suited to Leftwich or Batch
Dan, I agree 100% with the play calling. Arians wants Dixon to be a drop back passer and go through his progressions and not use his legs. One thing Dixon has to learn is how to find that perfect balance and not just stay in the pocket because thats what Arians tells him to do. I am not an Arians fan at all. I never have been and never will be. I agree that he needs to pull ut the roll out passes for Dixon and cater to Dixon's abilities.

Dixon is not a stupid kid. He is the smartest QB we have on our roster (according to the wonderlic) and Arians needs to open up the playbook and JUST LET HIM PLAY. Right now we have A LOT of youth at the heart of our offense with Pouncey at center and Dixon at QB. I say challenge him and see what happens. It's Arians job as his coach and coordinator to make the playbook work for him and tailor it around his skill set. I honestly do not believe Arians did that yesterday.

"You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent." ~ Mike Tomlin
drizze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,986 Times in 898 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Can we get the Mission Impossible guys to make a Leftwich mask and give it to Ben so he can play?
DITTO

fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #18
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
DITTO

Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #19
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

Hopefully he will be ready to play. He does have the edge of playing against the Titans 2x every season when he started in Jax.