Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915
Default Hampton and Starks

Does anyone know the extent of their injuries? Any others banged up. I hate to see these injuries in game 1... they start adding up quick...

Sorry if a thread has already been posted on this... didn't see one.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,155 Times in 480 Posts
Default Re: Hampton and Starks

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysteel View Post
Does anyone know the extent of their injuries? Any others banged up. I hate to see these injuries in game 1... they start adding up quick...

Sorry if a thread has already been posted on this... didn't see one.
I know they said Hampton had a Hammy ( no pun intended) and Starks has a high ankle sprain. I don't think anything else was reported. Might get more Tues with Tomlin's news conference.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

the high ankle sprain will knock Starks out for a few weeks.. i'd imagine they will try to get him back after the bye.. but you can't rush these things, high ankle sprains can get re-aggravated really quick.. how soon they try to rush him back will probably have to do with how well the line holds up in his absence.

the hammy could linger with Hampton the entire season. hamstring pulls can get re-aggrivated even easier than high ankle sprains. both injuries suck.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

The one plus about Hampton's injury is the most running he does is on and off of the field. The hamstring may hinder his ability to fire out but I feel more comfortable with a nose tackle whose hammie is only say 75% than I would with any other position on the field.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Casey Hampton, Max Starks

Casey Hampton, Max Starks
9/12/2010 6:06 PM ET By J.J. Cooper
o J.J. Cooper
o NFL Writer
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/09/12/s...ir-of-big-men/

The Steelers were already playing without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and right tackle Willie Colon. Now they are having to scramble to fill two more big holes.

Nose tackle Casey Hampton left the game in the first half with a hamstring injury. Then in the third quarter, left tackle Max Starks hobbled off the field with an injured ankle that he sustained when a Falcons' defensive lineman accidentally rolled into it.

The Steelers are better equipped to handle Hampton's injury. His backup, Chris Hoke, is an nine-year veteran who has played well whenever he's been called on to fill in for Hampton. Pittsburgh's biggest problem is that there is no other true nose tackle on the active roster, so Pittsburgh will have to decide whether to use Ziggy Hood and Nick Eason as fill-in backups or find someone on the waiver wire to serve as Hoke's backup.

At left tackle, Pittsburgh is not nearly as ready to handle the Starks' injury. His backup, Jonathan Scott, does have starting experience, but he was one of the worst starter's in the league last year in Buffalo.

Pittsburgh could also turn to Tony Hills, a more natural left tackle, if Starks is out for any length of time. But Hills has only good preseason work on his resume -- he's played in only one regular season game.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,422 Posts
Default Re: Casey Hampton, Max Starks

they freakin kept hills on the roster for a reason.. if your not good enough to be a backup and play in real games when needed , then you shouldn't be on the roster.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

"At left tackle, Pittsburgh is not nearly as ready to handle the Starks' injury. His backup, Jonathan Scott, does have starting experience, but he was one of the worst starter's in the league last year in Buffalo."

How does someone not have starting experience but are also the worst starters in the league...
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416

At one point in the game they showed Hampton talking to Colon and it looked like he said he wasnt playing next week. I'm no professional lip reader but thats what it looked like to me.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
"At left tackle, Pittsburgh is not nearly as ready to handle the Starks' injury. His backup, Jonathan Scott, does have starting experience, but he was one of the worst starter's in the league last year in Buffalo."

How does someone not have starting experience but are also the worst starters in the league...
Re-read that. The man does have some starting experience. Apparently he just sucks.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
the high ankle sprain will knock Starks out for a few weeks.. i'd imagine they will try to get him back after the bye.. but you can't rush these things, high ankle sprains can get re-aggravated really quick.. how soon they try to rush him back will probably have to do with how well the line holds up in his absence.

the hammy could linger with Hampton the entire season. hamstring pulls can get re-aggrivated even easier than high ankle sprains. both injuries suck.
That hamstring injury is Hampton's fault for either being poorly conditioned or not doing appropriate warm ups. It can happen to anyone but being poorly conditioned doesn't help. Hoke looked fine. How long he will be out depends on the severity no miss(if Tomlin doesn't mind him skipping practice) to 6 weeks. The fact that he was walking and not in critches leads me to believe it is not a third degree so we are talking zero to 3 weeks. I don't think they will be in any rush to get him back so I would guess he misses 1 week.

I guess Tony Hills is going to get his dream start. I think he'll be fine.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote