Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #161
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: Americans' suspicions frustrate U.S. Muslims

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
If they did it in the U.S., yes. But you have to realize contrary to popular belief we aren't the world police. I would put this at a 2 on a scale of 1-10 of human atrocities.
It would be more like a 4, maybe even 5 on my scale. Because basically I think many of the world at large's problems stem from the treatment of woman. You find a society that extends full equality to it's female citizenry and usually that will be a country that's all around standard of living will be high.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #162
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Unfortunately, you might have something there, Wally. I say unfortunately, because whenever prosecutors in the U.S. have nothing else, they always go for conspiracy.

I was in college participating in protests regarding our Central American policy when I was informed that although blocking streets and public buildings is a misdemeanor, conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor is a felony. How ****ing brilliant is that? The long and the short of it is that if they really want you, they can probably get you.
Conspiracy to commit what in this case though? Follow the laws of Pakistan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
Sweet! I should probably quit while I'm ahead.

Ric, you said what I was thinking much better than I did.
Although arranging a marriage involving a 13-year-old might be legal in Pakistan, it's not legal here. And since he is here and was planning on taking her there from here, I'm thinking they could get him for child abuse, conspiracy, or something along those lines.

Oh, and as far as this ...

The only thing I ever protested in college is when they closed the bars early during daylight savings time.
You went to Ohio U, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
It would be more like a 4, maybe even 5 on my scale. Because basically I think many of the world at large's problems stem from the treatment of woman. You find a society that extends full equality to it's female citizenry and usually that will be a country that's all around standard of living will be high.
I'm presuming they are in arranged marriages with men? So aren't they being just as "abused?"
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #163
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:

I'm presuming they are in arranged marriages with men? So aren't they being just as "abused?"
I'm not quite sure I'm following you here?

I'm against arranged marriage's, but I also understand they are part of some people's culture. So I can respect that so long as the bride and groom are old enough to make the decision for themselves and are willing participants. In some cases I'm sure that would be true, and remarkably enough I'm sure some of those marriages actually work out ok.

But if you're forcing kids into that sort of arrangement, or worse yet, if you're forcing a child to marry an adult, that's just sick and indefensible.

Obviously the U.S. can't work as world police and stop that sort of thing from happening outside it's borders. But if a person(s) choose to reside in this country then they should be aware and subject to our laws concerning child welfare.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #164
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Conspiracy to commit what in this case though? Follow the laws of Pakistan?
I'm thinking RICO-ish nonsense, where it seems they can get people just for lingering together in smoky rooms a bit too long.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #165
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
I'm not quite sure I'm following you here?

I'm against arranged marriage's, but I also understand they are part of some people's culture. So I can respect that so long as the bride and groom are old enough to make the decision for themselves and are willing participants. In some cases I'm sure that would be true, and remarkably enough I'm sure some of those marriages actually work out ok.

But if you're forcing kids into that sort of arrangement, or worse yet, if you're forcing a child to marry an adult, that's just sick and indefensible.

Obviously the U.S. can't work as world police and stop that sort of thing from happening outside it's borders. But if a person(s) choose to reside in this country then they should be aware and subject to our laws concerning child welfare.
You said 4 or 5 because of the world's treatment of women. I was merely pointing out it takes 2 to tango!
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote