Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,407 Times in 3,547 Posts
Default great interview with bill cowher on sirius

he really sounded like a 1st year head coach who is ready to forge his legacy. it almost sounds like a rebirth for him and his career. he mentionned how he is still learning and how he learns more and more every year. then he said how much he has learned from belichick and watching what the patriots have done and the opportunity for the steelers to do the same excites him. he talked about how much he respects and admires belichick, parcells, shottenheimer, and gibbs. when asked if he is feeling the pressure of repeating he said he is really looking forward to it. that they are so used to dealing with adversity, its a new challenge to see how they will deal with success. he said how much it meant to him to win it for dan rooney who now stands alone without the cheif, and for this new generation of steelerfans who only heard about the great 70's from their parents. john riggins commented on his humility.

i dont think hes going anywhere any time soon. this definitely didnt sound like a coach who was burning out. this sounded like a man who has the fire and the drive and the desire to make the rooneys the proudest owners in the business. im sure they already are just like us fans are the proudest right now.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,484 Times in 3,331 Posts
Default Re: great interview with bill cowher on sirius

That is great to hear.

I still can't figure out why he will agree to live apart from his family six months of the year (which is obviously none of my business) unless he effectively lives and breathes football during the season and "off season" Bill Cowher is the only Cowher his wife wants to be around.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

what really doesn't make sense to me is why they would move their daughter for her senior year. you think she'd want to graduate with all her friends. my only thought is maybe one of Kaye's relatives (mom, dad) is sick and she wants to be with them. just a thought
Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Yeah, I dont think so either.

He has worked long and hard for the big breakthrough in his coaching career just to throw it away again.

These rumors of him leaving.....they are based purely on his acquisition of a property outside Pittsburgh?

Is that correct?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,407 Times in 3,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Yeah, I dont think so either.

He has worked long and hard for the big breakthrough in his coaching career just to throw it away again.

These rumors of him leaving.....they are based purely on his acquisition of a property outside Pittsburgh?

Is that correct?

NM
from what i can tell. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06061/663413.stm

this states that he bought the house during the steelers bye week (week 5 maybe) and him and his wife have been planning on buying a house there for several years. just so happened they got the deal done the year he won the sb. initially i got the impression he went out and bought it this week. this is an area they really want to live at. why wait 5-10-15 years when the property value could tripple or quadruple? he probably has the 2.5 mil sitting there in a bank barely earning him anything.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

It's great to see the change in Cowher's demeanor... he smiles alot more and his body language seems to have changed. You know a large weight has been lifted off his shoulders with that Superbowl win. He seems alot happier, and I'm happy for him.

I actually think he has more years left in coaching after the championship... I wonder how many more seasons he could have lived with the lable of a coach that always comes up short. I don't think he would have stayed in Pittsburgh too much longer without a championship.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,484 Times in 3,331 Posts

The apparent deal is the Cowhers closed on the house during the bye week last season (LITP - maybe another loss to the Patriots had Cowher contemplating retirement :)

The Cowhers have 3 daughters; one at Princeton, one that will graduate from Fox Chapel this year, and the third daughter that is in the 9th grade.

Today's P-G states the youngest daughter has told friends she will be moving to North Carolina soon (I have visions of Bouchette and Dulac from the P-G interviewing ninth graders in the school cafeteria), which is corroborated by the story in the Trib-Review that the youngest daughter is visiting a private school in suburban Raleigh this week.

So if they move this summer, the youngest daughter and Ms. Cowher will be in Raleigh during the season starting this fall since the daughter will be enrolled in 10th grade there.

People do a lot of things for their careers in terms of commuter marriages, but moving to a new house in another city and setting up a commuter marriage (rather than the usual deal where one spouse gets a new job in a new city and needs to live there) seems unusual.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
The apparent deal is the Cowhers closed on the house during the bye week last season (LITP - maybe another loss to the Patriots had Cowher contemplating retirement :)

The Cowhers have 3 daughters; one at Princeton, one that will graduate from Fox Chapel this year, and the third daughter that is in the 9th grade.

Today's P-G states the youngest daughter has told friends she will be moving to North Carolina soon (I have visions of Bouchette and Dulac from the P-G interviewing ninth graders in the school cafeteria), which is corroborated by the story in the Trib-Review that the youngest daughter is visiting a private school in suburban Raleigh this week.

So if they move this summer, the youngest daughter and Ms. Cowher will be in Raleigh during the season starting this fall since the daughter will be enrolled in 10th grade there.

People do a lot of things for their careers in terms of commuter marriages, but moving to a new house in another city and setting up a commuter marriage (rather than the usual deal where one spouse gets a new job in a new city and needs to live there) seems unusual.
If all that proves to be correct then that would be a large strain on a marriage.

Maybe Whisenhunt stayed because he was told he would be HC in a year or two?

If Cowher does retire sometime soon then I guess we have had two feel-good stories wrapped into one this year:

Bettis winning his first SB in his last year.

Cowher breaking his duck and doing the same after 14 years coaching.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
from what i can tell. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06061/663413.stm

this states that he bought the house during the steelers bye week (week 5 maybe) and him and his wife have been planning on buying a house there for several years. just so happened they got the deal done the year he won the sb. initially i got the impression he went out and bought it this week. this is an area they really want to live at. why wait 5-10-15 years when the property value could tripple or quadruple? he probably has the 2.5 mil sitting there in a bank barely earning him anything.
That's what I was thinking as well.
Maybe that's his dream retirement home and it was the perfect timing to go ahead and make the purchase now before the real estate value starts to skyrocket.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB2W
It's great to see the change in Cowher's demeanor... he smiles alot more and his body language seems to have changed. You know a large weight has been lifted off his shoulders with that Superbowl win. He seems alot happier, and I'm happy for him.

I actually think he has more years left in coaching after the championship...

I noticed what I thought was a change in him before last season started. Maybe the 15 and 1 season brought him around. Or the fact that he and the team were able to do that. Anyway, I can't imagine him leaving now, he's so young.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote